1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

# HD game systems, 1 component input

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jason Sweet, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I use component cables and progressive scan signals from 3 of my game systems: Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2. I have 2 component inputs on my set, but the first is calibrated exclusively for film and DVD, not gaming. That leaves only 1 input for all three. I have been using RCA splitters, 2 sets, to allow all three to be hooked up at once, but as each unit is hooked up, the picture (especially on the PS2 for some reason) gets darker.
    I know there is a JVC component switch for $100, but I just bought a NEC TurboDuo game system, so I need to pay that off. Are there any less expensive methods to connect 3 systems and maintain quality?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Well-Known Member

Splitters are a VERY bad idea.

Your cable needs to be a uniform 75 ohm impedence (all video cables are made this way). A "Y" adaptor really messes with this. It will either reduce the signal (as you have seen), or cause reflections that you will see as ghosts/lack-of-focus.

I created a thread in the Receivers section on HD Video Switching that shows you are not alone in your problem.

Some people on a budget buy the Radio Shack switcher that has Left/Right/Video for 3 or 4 devices and use this as a cheap component video switcher. Seems to do the job for about $40.

3. Jason Pugh

Jason Pugh Active Member

I have the Sony model switcher like he is talking about it does the trick but I'm not so sure that a real switcher like the JVC wouldn't be a better idea. If I had it to do over againg and if (big IF) I had the money then I would have gone with the JVC switcher. I have multiple component inputs on my TV so I have the DVD player run direct and the DTC-100 ran direct. I use the switcher for my game systems only (Xbox, PS2, GC).