What's new

HD-DVDs at Amazon.com - Service failure (1 Viewer)

M

Member 323668

It really is a shame for amazon.com not being able to supply Warner's new HD-DVD titles released this Tuesday. (FMJ and Unforgiven)

"Unforgiven" isn't even ready to order.

"Full Metal Jacket" "usually ships in 4 to 6 weeks"

They try to boost their HD/Blu-ray business with this 10% offer, but on the other hand their only real offer is TSF: total service failure.... scnr

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I don't think Amazon is totally at fault here--the titles were only announced last week, which is unusually late, and a short lead-time. Instead of getting into regular distribution timelines, these were drop-shipped to stores like Best Buy in my area.

Now I still wonder why there is no advance listing on Amazon. Does no one own HD-DVD and take an interest in making sure their fledgling HD-DVD offering is up to snuff?

Or are they in bed with Sony, like half the people here seem to be?

- Steve

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
DVD Empire has both titles (FMJ, Unforgiven) listed for release on 05-23. I was not able to locate either title at my local Best Buy last night. I'm going to try Fry's this evening; although I don't recall if they are carrying HD-DVD.

- Walter.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

I'm doing some consulting work with a DVD label (instructional, not features), so I have access to the weekly trades and solicitation materials from all of the studios. The HD (and Blu Ray) releases are *barely* announced and, as Steve noted, it's not a normal solicitation period. That's certainly accounting for the spotty distribution. One thing to remember is that Amazon does not generally buy direct from the studios, either. They use a distributor and last I looked, those titles were not in that distributor's system until last week.

Warner is not doing a good job getting these announced and available, but I think they're just being cautious about it. I'm sure they're just as frustrated with the distribution, however.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
At least now, they fixed the "Full Metal Jacket ships in 4-6 weeks" problem. It's not listed as 1-2 days. Unforgiven is still missing in action. Another thing is that Full Metal Jacket is not registering 10% off when I check out. I will probably order anyway, and then write to them to adjust.

I wonder how long it will take them to put up Fugitive and Blazing Saddles! :)

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
So I put three HD DVD's from Amazon's "HD DVD Store" in my cart and put in the Code from the special offer page and got this:

Important Message
We're sorry, but the promotional code you entered cannot be applied to this purchase. Please refer to your promotional coupon for information about item or store restrictions.

GRRRRRRRR!

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I got that message too but still got the discount. Look on the order page and you should see it listed in the discount section. Enter the code like 3 times or so. If that doesn't work, see the thread at avs on this...

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Amazon has really got to work the kinks out of the system

I wrote them about being added to the program, they responded and I got the "official" notification that I was in the program. However, HD DVDs that I add to my cart are still not showing the discount.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt use the code.
i just got the discount auto with 3 titles in my cart at checkout.

i have noticed the netflix has all the hd dvds listed on their site to put in your Q.
also has several that havent been oficially announced yet able to put in Q

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.