What's new

HD DVD SuperBowl Ad (1 Viewer)

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

ok, fine....the original quote (i.e. "it ain't over 'til it's over...") was from 'Rocky Balboa' (for one), so I took a quote from the new 'Rambo' - both Stallone films. my personal opinion, as espoused in the 'Rambo' quote', is that HD DVD should die for the greater good of the HD home video market.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....you know, on a similar note, my personal opinion is that the PC industry would really "take off" if Apple died for the greater good of the PC industry....too.:laugh:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I know you're just joking around, but I think you're comparing apples to oranges (pun intended, of course).

If you look back at the history of desktop computers, Apple did effectively die out as a major player in the adoption of PCs, mainly because it was proprietary. Meanwhile, in the 80s and 90s, there was a whole slew of "IBM compatible" machines from various manufacturers all using the same architecture and helping to drive down costs. In addition, quality business-world software was created for PCs, while a more niche software market was created for the mac line.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe you're right after all.

IBM compatible PC makers = 99% of consumer electronics companies
Apple = Toshiba
high-volume business software = Blu-ray movies
niche Mac software = HD DVD movies

And before you say that Apple has made a comeback, you have to realize the company really did die and take a whole new business and marketing direction in order to leave their niche behind. And while that happened, all that exclusive software became available for the PC (Adobe products and QuarkXPress being the prime examples) in order to stay in business.

Like Apple, Toshiba doesn't have to die off, but will probably have to change directions in order to compete.

Sorry for the rambling. :)

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Actually... I enjoyed your post which accomplishing what I had set out to do with my PC/APPLE comparison post....get people to THINK beyond the, "Toshiba must die so Blu-ray can live" mentality.:)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Actually, it's "HD DVD must die..." ;) Nobody claimed Toshiba must die. :D

Anyway, he (and others) got to think about it some more and probably conclude just that w/ even stronger conviction than before. ;) :laugh: Based on that analogy, Toshiba must actually let HDD die so that it can move on to more profitable, new ventures instead... :D

On a more serious note, maybe Toshiba can switch to BD and do what David and others suggested, which is to become the best CE company to offer BD products. In fact, those various silly Profile 1.1 and 2.0 (and beyond) features could use lots of workout going forward, if the studios are serious about offering compelling extras that are exclusive to HDM. And maybe Toshiba can devote some of its HDM R&D resources toward that end and not merely be satisfied selling average players. Would be interesting if they come up w/ more innovative ways for studios to make use of those features and possibly even add further features beyond Profile 2.0...

_Man_

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Naaaaaa...I think Tosh change of direction is more in line with their current ad campaign which is to blur the line between standard DVD and HD. Instead of beating consumers over the head with HD is soooo superior blah-blah-blah, they stress compatability with DVD. Sort of adopting the old philosophical saying, "if ya can't beat em...join em," by stressing how well current DVD collections will look when upconverted on the HD-A3 and...oh, it plays HD as well. Hell, it's not unlike Sony's PS3 ads...great gaming machine and plays Blu-ray discs too.

MACPUN

Agent
Real Name
Mike

The big differance there is Apple vs PC is hardware and HD vs Blueray is software.

Software dosen't surive a war. ;)

troy evans

Screenwriter
I agree that software does indeed die first, but, hardware does follow behind eventually. Although VHS players are still around as well as cassette tape music decks... and record players, Hmmm.....What was my point again...:)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Huh? It's not so much hardware or software as platform. They are all pairs of competing platforms.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks