What's new

HD DVD Outpacing All Next-Gen Formats in Sales Growth (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Damn straight. I don´t care if some wise Japanese man invented the mini-LCD that could be incorporated to the bicycle or something. Or 250" Plasma that could arrive to general public in 2030. I want: FILMS!!!!!!!!!!!! IN HD!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That is actually a very good question. I had assumed it was "units", but re-reading it looks more like "money".

Anyway, I wish we had access to some real numbers we could draw our own conclusions from. Half the time when I try to read these press-releases, I feel like I forgot my decoder ring. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, and unfortunately, that isn't your fault (or mine :) ). They want it to be unclea n r!

Cees

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just found these numbers over at HDD:

June 12 - 150,000 HD-DVD (60%) vs 100,000 Blu-ray (40%)
July 18 - 180,000 HD-DVD (55%) vs 147,300 Blu-ray (45%)

This doesn't include PS3, laptops, PC drives or Xbox 360 add-on.

I don't claim their accuracy, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Just based on these numbers (I haven´t really followed these type of sales figures etc, though), I don´t see that Blu-ray should be that "worried". Toshiba has been very aggressive with their low prices (I keep repeating this, lol) and PS3-figures are not included (they´re now rising because their own price cut). I highly doubt that Xbox 360 add-on would add much to these figures, I mean seriously (again I mean that many has Xbox 360 - but how many actually has that add-on?)?

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
at one point in time the XBOX360 add-on was the top selling HD DVD player

MarekM

Supporting Actor

thanx for info, interesting hmm
do you have a direct link ?
it's nice to see that Blu-ray is catching up in standalones :)

Marek

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Because in standalone terms for HD Disc we talk about hundreds of thousands & in gaming consoles we talk about millions.

EDitEDbyED:
The reason the 150,000+ # for the add-on is important to HD DVD is because every single person who buys it, plays (buys or rents) HD DVDs. Such is not the case w/the PS3 & BD.
However, last figures I saw, had the percentage of PS3 owners buying/renting discs very close or about the same amount, as the # of 360 owners. Its "was" about a wash, just since the 2Q, PS3/BD sales have soared (for the waring HD Disc Formats) into the lead BD holds to this day.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen

I dont think they are referring to games on BR disc... They are referring to just movie sales...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Those numbers literally just came out of thin air over at HDD, so they mean little to me at this point.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I don´t fully understand this logic. As long as people buy PS3, they´ll buy and rent at least some BD-movies. Probably not "right away" etc, but eventually yes. People can buy HD DVD add-on just that they could watch some movies every once in a while. Or to see those Universal-titles that are lacking from BD. IMO, It´s not that only the hardcore HD DVD-fans buy that add-on (I actually doubt it, since it doesn´t have HDMI, it won´t support 1080p, it´s noisy, etc). At the beginning of the HD-era, people probably bought more add-ons, but now when Toshiba is at the same price range and things have been evolving, I doubt that those hardcore HD DVD-fans want some mediocre ( ;) ;) ) add-on.

But: I have heard that you can hook up that Xbox HD DVD add-on to your computer. That is one advantage for sure.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
What the PS3 also does is takes away any potential HD DVD buyer...

If you are a PS3 gamer, why would you buy a HD DVD player??? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that $300 and buy more PS3 games (when they come out) or a butt load of BR movies???

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The numbers came from this thread and the OP doesn't say where he got them. They don't sound totally wrong but I'd still like to see official numbers from somewhere.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Holy %$#(#! I start a thread...go to work and all hell breaks loose. :D

Man I am flattered though reading my name being referenced so much here. ;) Obviously I DID start this thread and while the title of it does say promotional group etc....the data is from NPD and Neilson. I would not have posted such had it not been from those sources. Since there are quite a few members here throw out these #s when it's convienent, I thought this was a good time to show some positive news for HD DVD.

No harm done. While I am an HD DVD fan, I think it's pretty safe to say that I don't have a history smacking down BD at all or participating in rants over which format is better. Feel free to do a search on me here and you'll find me an enthusiast...but a very fair one.

Truthfully since BD got another exclusive from the country of Zimbabwee I thought it was time for some nice news for HD DVD. :P :)

Back to the #s. If we quote and stand by NPD & Neilson for software sales each week and some here love making predictions based on such data, then why is this data being challenged.

Can't have it both ways. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
So if someone who was making Ds in school started making high Cs and Bs, do they put an * by those new grades? :)

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks