What's new

HD-DVD Combo discontinued by Warner Home Video (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Beginning in January 2008, the HD-DVD Combo will be discontinued by Warner Home Video for the Theatrical New Release Business Unit. Warner will be offering the HD version only.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be the last title we are offering the HD-DVD Combo for. The Invasion will be the first HD only title on the TNR release slate.

-Robert

MattFini

Supporting Actor
While I never had any issues with the combo, nor did I mind paying an extra $5 bucks for a "failsafe" (If HD never takes off, I still have the DVD)...but I'm not sad to see the combo go, either.

It'll probably mean better busienss for HD DVD anyway.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Now to get Universal to follow suit.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
Finally!! At last the studios seem to be realising the whole "combo disc" was a huge mistake. This is great news, and along with Warner's re-issue of many of the combo titles as HD-DVD only discs, means a win win situation for the consumer.

It's all about consumer choice. With the combo format the consumer HAD to buy the DVD version even if they only wanted the HD version. Indeed they may never intend to watch the DVD version, but they still had to pay an extra $5 for it.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Isn't this at odds with their idea for TotalHD? Or are they slowing one multi-format disc down in order to start up another?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Now if only Universal would follow suit.....surely they are getting sick of the complaints, disc returns, and bad PR in general.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Excellent. I mean EXCELLENT!

I do not believe Total HD will EVER see the light of day.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So... Are they dropping $5 from the price? That's my only objection to combos. Sure, I don't think they'll price HD-DVD-only discs $5 more than the equivalent BD, but studios do things that make little sense all the time.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

Indeed. Now it makes sense why they are pricing the Order of the Phoenix combo at the same price as the Blu version.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
We watched our first combo the other nite. "Knocked Up"
Watched first 1/2 upstairs on the hd-a2 in HD with no probs. Finsihed it up downstairs last nite with the sddvd side and had freezes and pixillation.
On the SD dvd side.
Just looking at the thing it's amazing these work at all. Honestly like somebody just glued 2 discs together. Cutting edge tech... NOT

I am wary of Trek: TOS being a combo now. 10 discs..?
How long will it take to go through ALL eps, both sides to make sure you don't have a defective disc? eesh

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
About time they got rid of it. I hope they lower prices to follow suit.

I wonder if they dropped the combo because they weren't selling as well(as the Blu version at $5 cheaper) or if the complaints about faulty discs finally wore on them.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It seems that way: on Amazon many previous Warner combos start to show up as new HD DVD-only re-releases at a price point of $23.

Cees

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew

They are releasing their combos in HD-DVD only form in October. Those are lower priced.

I'm picking up a couple because of it for sure.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, hopefully Universal will follow suit, as well. There are some titles I refuse to buy because they are combos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks