What's new

HD DVD chat (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
(from hidefdigest CES article) These titles represent just a handful of what the HD DVD Promotions Group today promised will be a total of at least 300 new titles on the format in the next year, from more than 41 studios and distributors currently supporting HD DVD worldwide, including HBO Home Video, New Line Home Entertainment, Genius Product, Inc., The Weinstein Company, Studio Canal, and Bandai Visual.

(from HTF chat) 154 HD DVD titles can be bought in the US today vs 136 BD titles!

(from HTF chat) For instance, the Matrix trilogy will be coming out this year from WHV, Star Trek will be exclusive to HD DVD this year,
Babel and The Good Shepherd. All in all there will be over 600
HD DVD titles by EOY

Since 300 + 154 does not = 600 they obviously managed within one week to magically come up with another 146 titles. All dateless of course. :D

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Glad to see HD-DVD is moving forward. Not gonna lie, I have a PS3 and a 360 HD-DVD drive, so I'm not in either "camp" so to speak, but I have a footing in both and look forward to what 2007 will bring to the table for both formats.

Matrix trilogy - woot!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

He made a point about region coding and how HD-DVD had an advantage because you could import all these titles from Europe and Japan. I was pointing out that Japan is irrelevant since both formats can import titles from there. Also, region coding on BD has a 12-month limit when it is used. No one from the HD-DVD ever mentions that, nor mentions that numerous BD already released have no coding at all.

It's one thing for an industry rep to come in here and say things about the other side that are valid. "VC1 is more efficient", "Replication costs are higher", etc would be perfectly ethical. I just take offense to promoting a format via misleading and downright false statements about $999 players, MPEG-2 having lesser quality, only one studio is really doing uncompressed audio etc.

loganhunter2002

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Logan Hunter

Maybe you should read the announcement made from Meridian's website.
Here's the link. Add http in front first.
media.meridian-audio.com/press/CES07-presskit/meridian-hddvd-ces07.pdf

Please check the latest news before posting things up.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Fair enough. I have been following threads here, AVS and HiDefDigest. I had not seen this news release. I have edited the comments out of my above posts.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
. He was simply asking a question. As a matter of fact, it could be a question on the HD side, since Toshiba now has a 999.99 player. You can interpet it any way you want.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Not that it was the Microsoft PR guy's job to announce movies for the studios, but the main concern coming out of CES was not addressed: what movies are coming from Universal and when. Being the only exclusive HD-DVD studio, they need to give consumers that don't own a HD player yet (and this would be the vast majority of the population) a reason not to just buy a BD player. Cheaper players are nice and everything, but where're the upcoming movies to make it worthwhile?

What a waste of time announcing the triple layer 51GB discs was. They haven't even presented it to a working group to see if it's even feasible to add. According to the the MS PR guy, they are still debating the 45GB triple layer discs. The odds of the 51GB discs happening any time soon are slim to none.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I had known about the chat -- I would have loved to participate. Though my power went out here in NH last night anyway, courtesy of a damned ice storm! :angry:

Some good news for sure. Weird if the Star Trek flicks are, in fact, HD-DVD exclusives for 2007. So far, they've been pretty neutral with the 2 formats. But any HD exclusive is OK in my book.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
just because the TREK films might be "HDdvd exclusive in 2007" doesn't mean they aren't coming to BD. Also, this came from the guy who said that "Universal was releasing Babel..." implying (since everyone knows that Universal is HDdvd exclusive) that Babel would not be out on BD when anyone can take 10 seconds to find out that Babel is a Paramount title and is indeed coming out on BD in February. I would take that TREK info. with a gigantic grain of salt.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Many of us read his statement as meaning that ST could come out on BD in Q1 of 2008.

Cees

PS: Sorry Dave, didn't see you post essentially the same before I made mine. :)
C.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The comment was "For instance, if you have a THD disc in your hand and have not bought a player yet, wouldn't you get the one that is $499 vs the one that is $999?".

Since he was referring to THD, there's only one way to interpret it. He was saying if you have a THD disc in your hand which plays both formats, you'll pick the HD-DVD player because the HD-DVD player is $499 and BD is $999, thus good for HD-DVD. Anyone who read that knows what it means, and yes it was misleading because it implies that BD players cost $999.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If you take that disc and walk over to the hardware section, the median price of a BD player is going to be a lot closer to $999 than HD-DVD's. Are you really trying to argue that BD hardware, with the exception of a loss-leader in the games section, isn't significantly more expensive than HD-DVD hardware?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The average consumer could care less if something is a loss-leader or not, nor would they even know. The majority of BD owners paid $499-599 for their machines so implying that BD players are twice as much is indeed misleading.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
If you want to talk about space requirements being limiting, the lack of lossless audio on King Kong is much more relevant.

No mystery here, just as some studios do not/did not use DTS on their DVDs.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

Do you think the average Joe is gonna wanna chance using a game unit (PS3) over a more familar looking standalone unit to get HD on disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks