What's new

HD cable quality good and bad during the same broadcast (sports)? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
While watching sports, sometimes I've noticed that the HD quality is great during some shots (closeups) and near horrible at other times (wide shots of an entire field). Can anyone explain why? I'm watching Cowboys vs. Browns now and am noticing this big time now.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Close up shots only have a few different colors and very little motion. Wide angle shots of the crowd or action on the field have a LOT of color and motion. You are just seeing some of the limitations of HD that is being encoded on the fly. Another issue that may cause this is your provider. Not only is encoding a problem but bandwidth starving by satellite or cable providers has been a long time complaint as well.

-Robert

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
It is also possible that not all of the shots are with HD TV cameras. They are very expensive and some content providers are still in the process of replacing their SD cameras. This could be the case even if the picture was in widescreen.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the game and noticed the things that Joe saw. All of the cameras are HD. CBS does a great job of broadcasting these games but there are limitations with the equipment and delivery.

It was also great to see Felix Jones have his first rush attempt end in a touchdown. He also made the tackle on the Romo interception. I love to see a former Hog do well in the NFL.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks