What's new

HD-A2, which black level setting? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Uhm (I know I should consult my player and manual now, but) if you mean the IRE setting, I think it's off.
It would only affect the S-Video signal anyway, IMO.

Cees

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I use the On setting. Everything was super dark and looked barely lit when I had it in the Off setting.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I keep everything (I have XE1) "off" and in "0". All the settings should be done from the TV/projector/etc. Proper calibration is the key.

Shoaib Lateef

Second Unit
If you are using HDMI, this setting doesn't matter. This only affects analog output.

You won't see a difference anyway if using HDMI!

This is only true if you're using a non-HDMI connection (analog).

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Allen, having your setting in the ON position would actually drop the black levels to 0 IRE, which effectively crushes the blacks. It should not be brighter in the On position than in Off. The Off setting sets black levels at 7.5 IRE, which is the proper setting for broadcast. Perhaps it varies with movies, but working in television, settings are to be set at 7.5. I'm not even sure why there is a setting to drop it to 0.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator

I'm using a HDMI>DVI cable as I have a CRT HDTV with a DVI connection only. Not sure if that's affecting things. Still, everything looks fine with the black level setting "on."

ETA: Hmm, I've since set the black level back to "off" and everything looks fine. Go figure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks