What's new

HD-A2 upgrade is now available for download. Now version 2.5! (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There are Canadian versions.... HD-A2-2.2.iso and USA versions.... HD-A2-2200U.zip available for download. Being in Region A, which one is better to use and why?

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I just received my HD-A2 and I've copied the downloaded ISO upgrade file to a CD-R. However, when I put the CD-R into the machine, it tells me that "this isn't a DVD and it can't read the file".

Toshiba tell me that it's happening because I'm using a 54X speed CD-R and that I should be using the slowest speed possible CD-R. Does anyone else have experience with this and any recommendations? Toshiba will send me the CD upgrade disc but it takes weeks to get.

Thanks for your help!

Mitch

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Mitch, the maximum write speed of the media is not the issue, it is the speed you are using to write the image to CD-R that matters. When writing an ISO to CD-R, use your mastering applications slowest possible write speed setting. ( 4x, 8x, etc. )

- Walter.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Did you burn it as an image file? Just copying it to CD-R won't do, it must be copied as an image file. I use Nero; the "Burn Image to Disc" option is under the "Copy and Backup" icon. I did not change speeds.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
So I attempted a firmware update via ethernet. It ran through the updater and ended with this message "Can not find out server" what the heck does this mean? Did the update not work?

Ok well I decided to give the disk/download method a try it it work without a problem.

-EJ

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

Download this freeware iso Burner to your PC and just enter the path to Toshiba's ISO file location and burn on CDR or CDRW.

My regular Roxio sofware doesn't like Toshiba's ISO files and didn't work after many attempts and wasted CDRs, this freeware worked perfectly the first time.

As far as I can tell Version 2.2 apparently decreased the disc load time by a few seconds.

Toshiba's help line send me a 'upgrade' disc pretty fast in like three days, unfortunately they sent me version 2.0.:crazy:

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator

Probably the US one. It's zipped, which should mean less time to download. Plus you won't have to worry about the menus appearing in both the Queen's English ('colour' instead of 'color', etc.) and French... ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mine just came from Amazon...mfg. date Feb. 2007, firmware rev. 1.2 / T17T, whatever that last code means. How odd that such an old build date is still being shipped from a high-volume retailer like Amazon.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know where I can find he latest firmware version for my US sourced HD-A2?

EDIT - I found it on the USA website :) ... Going to try and update my player from 1.2 and see how it goes :cool:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
For anybody who cares, this update totally fixes the DVI>HDMI issues. I can now enjoy HD DVD's in constant height via my iScan HD+ ! :cool:

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I've tried to download v2.5 two or three times over the last few days, most recently last night. Each time I get the message telling me that my firmware is the latest version. I'm still at 2.2

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

2.5 is now available for the HD-A2. I was able to download it earlier this evening. The new, "cleaner" look of the OSD was a welcomed surprise. :)

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Downloaded last night (from the player)

Took 2 trys, but it's installed

HDA2 and 2.5

Watched a movie afterwards - working well as usual

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well that was interesting....

I downloaded the ver. 2.5 from the site linked above. To burn it I first tried the Active ISO burner linked above, but no workie. After tossing 3 discs I gave up and found to my surprize that I did have Nero installed on my computer. Nero worked fine.

The disc updated quickly in the Toshiba HD-A2. Toshiba says expect to wait 25 minutes after "step 5/5" is displayed. Mine only took about 7 minutes. Upon rebooting the drive I verified that version 2.5 was indeed installed.

My drive was delivered with firmware version 1.2 over a month ago. Toshiba included a postcard for requesting an update CD-ROM by return mail, which I mailed immediately. It looks like 4 weeks is too fast for Toshiba. :rolleyes

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

When I first got my A2, I had difficulty getting the machine to connect via Ethernet so I sent the postcard request for the CDs. As it turns out I was attempting to connect without rebooting the unit after changing the settings and the problem has since been resolved. It has been in my experience the current update CD usually arrives in the mail the week of or prior to a new update. I wouldn't expect the 2.5 disc to arrive until they are ready to roll out 2.6 (or what ever the next version number will be).

Mendoza

Agent
Real Name
Jesse
Quick question: If my HD-A2 is working fine is it necessary to go through the trouble of upgrading the firmware? The firmware just fixes bugs -- it does not nothing to improve picture or sound, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks