What's new

HD-A2 froze up!!! (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I just got my new HDMI receiver and was excited to test out the TrueHD tracks on my HD discs. I have had no issues whatsoever with this player for 6 months till today. I popped in Transformers and it started to load then started to play but then went back to counter 0:00 and stayed there forever. No buttons work except the stop. Once I stop it it locks up and I cant do anything. Must unplug it to get it back to normal. Tried again and same thing happens. Tried 3 other HD discs and all the same. I watched an SD disc and it played fine. Im only having issues with the HD discs. All are brand new and scratch free.

It also seems like this is a more common problem the more I seach around the forums. I checked for a new firmware upgrade but they havent released anything new in a while. Im running 2.5 which is the newest.

Now i tried again and it freezes in the welcome diplay on the player. Nothing changes, I cant even get the tray open to get my disc back out.

Does Toshiba know about all these issues? How can I get my disc out?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Unplug the player for at least a minute. Plug it back in and hold in the power button for at least 10 seconds to force a reset. If that doesn't work, it needs to be shipped to Toshiba.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

You can get the disc out by using a bent paper clip. If you manually open the player tray door there is a small hole near the disc opening so pushing the paper clip into that hole will open the door. Try the player directly to your HDTV and if it's still stuck on the welcome screen then my guess the player is broken. Toshiba I'm sure is aware of this problem so contact them to get the player repaired or replaced and good luck. :)

TomIXG

Grip
Real Name
Tom
First thing I did after getting my A2 was to hook it up to my ethernet connection and download the latest firmware and so far no issues, but thanks for the heads up for potential problems.

Tom

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I had a problem with my brand new A2. It played an hour, then stopped recognizing any discs. Couldn't get a swap at Walmart because all stores had sold out. Updated firmware, pressed and held power button, yada yada. Called Toshiba tech support on Monday, determined my A2 was defective, gave me a repair number, emailed a shipping label to me, and I should have either a fixed or even a new unit shipped to me by the end of the week.

Call tech support.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My HD-A1 has locked up on me a couple of times since I got it last year. Like Justin indicated, it's the price of being an early adopter.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam

I got an RA number from them but they didnt send me a shipping label. I had to pay for it cross country. Was $35 to ship... Insane. I just hope they fix it right.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
If it was me, I will call again and determine if a shipping label should have been sent to me. See if you can be reimbursed. I just wouldn't grumble about it without first trying to do something about it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My HD-A1 has done that a few times and I have had to unplug it and basically restart the machine. My Sony BDP-S300 has done that once as well. I think Justin hit the nail on the head "the price of being on the cutting edge". :laugh: I think the days of just plugging something in and it working everytime and not needing to be updated is long over. :frowning:

Just unplug the player for 30 - 60 seconds and plug it back in. Power up the machine and wait for it to boot up, at that point you should be able to restart the movie or eject the disc.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Yeah, you should always ask for a shipping label, if the player is under warranty. My wife is the one who actually called back and got it for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks