What's new

HD-A2 delayed, but shipping as of 12-07-06 (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's a copy of my post on another forum. Just wanted to get the news out to other forum members who may be effected by the delay.

Here's the scoop... There is a delay till the week of 12/11/06 for the HD-A2, due to the product not passing final QC and testing on all HD DVDs with all functions and features.

The problem has been isolated to a single chip, a somewhat minor component, which is supplied by a third party IC manufacturer.

Of course, this last minute problem is not an HD DVD format issue, we all know the excellent video and audio quality HD DVD produces through our experiences with Toshiba's A1, XA1 and now the Xbox HD DVD adaptor success.

More news is we will have ample supply of A2s the week of 12/11 and the HD-XA2 is still on schedule for the last week of December 2006.

Finally, I have a silver lining to offer my A2 friends to get us all happy again.

-Robert

DarthBeavis

Agent
Real Name
Richard Surroz
Why would you want another Toshiba when the 360 blows the dedicated units out of the water in term of performance? I have an A1 and the 360 add on. While I like HDMI, I HATE the lame boot and load time of the Toshiba unit. It is not well built at all (granted a first gen product usually has issues). The Microsoft solution is superior (at least until the ICT is implemented). The only other downside I see (granted I am not knowledgable like other people here I just have both units and can give an uneducated perspective) is that lack of TrueHD since is it reported to require HDMI 1.3.

I do love HD DVD tho. I had a LAN party a couple weeks ago and put on the Terminator 3 HD DVD. Everyone there was glued to the TV.

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
The HD-A2 is advertised in the Cambridge Soundworks mailer I got today for $499.99. I'm assuming they have them in stock. CS is a Creative company with retail outlets in MA and CA and a few in NH. I'm assuming [I haven't looked yet] you can buy it on line at www.cambridgesoundworks.com. I have an early A1 with the 2.0 upgrade and I have been amazing my friends with the PQ. I've even convinced more then a few of them to buy the A1 or the A2. I had a crew over the other day with their kids and showed them Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I think the adults liked it better then the kids. The A1 is the best buy I have ever made!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
FYI, Robert is a prominent retailer who has a solid relationship with Toshiba. If he doesn't have the players yet, I'd guess no one does.

Thanks for the info, Robert.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Toshiba still does not have the Generation 2 players listed on their Web Site.

DarthBeavis

Agent
Real Name
Richard Surroz
I read up on the second gen players and the 1.3 HDMI sounds good but are they going to improve the crappy load times and boot times? How about working on an HD DVD burner that can interface with encrypted cable and satellite programming?

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I was going to get the A2 until I heard about the delay. Now, with the extra time to order, I've just decided to bite the bullet and go for the Big Cheez: The HD-XA2. It'll be my first HD player of any sort, so I figure I'll go for the one with all the bells and whistles. I've been wanting to get a really good up-converting SD player anyway so this one should fill on that score quite nicely, too.

Can't wait for the end of December! :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
^ Five minutes with the Search function would tell you exactly that. :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If I remember correctly, the A2 does not have 5.1 analog outputs whereas the XA2 does. I don't think there are many other significant differences.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's the XA2 features over the A2:

HD Content Output via HDMI (HD-A2 720p/1080i) (HD-XA2 720p/1080i/1080p)

5.1 Channel Analog Output

Color management controls for excellent device calibration

HD-A1 - 11-bit / 216MHz Video DAC. HD-XA2 - 12-bit/297 MHz video DAC

HDMI HD-A2 - 1.2a
HD-XA2 - 1.3, with support for deep color

Coaxial Digital Audio Output

RS-232

Fully back-lit Remote Control HD-XA2 only, push-button, not motion activated

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I haven't paid attention to the discussions of the new Toshiba players lately, but I remember the first pics showed a light for "SACD" -- has it been confirmed whether or not these will play SACDs, both 2-channel and multichannel? That would be a real nice bonus if implemented well, but seems odd since it is their competitor's format.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Thanks Robert, your description helps focus the difference between the two models. I'm on the verge of making a decision on how to get into an HD format.

Glenn, I hadn't heard nor expect the Toshiba models would support SACD, but I agree it would be a nice feature if it did.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks Robert. I didn't realize there were going to be so many differences this time around. Do you have a MSRP on the XA2 and a guess as to how long it will be in production before being phased out for gen 3?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Clinton, MSRP on the A2 is $499.99, XA2 is $999.99. Forum members pay less.

I expect Toshiba G3 HD DVD player to become available in October 2007.

-Robert

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
"Forum members pay less."

Robert, can you elaborate on this please? I'm definitely in the market for an A2, i'd love to know how I can get it for less.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The XBOX360 add on uses the same drive as the second generation Toshibas. Load time is greatly improved on the second gen.

Users who are viewing this thread