What's new

HBO's Girls Season 2 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
season 2 starts Sunday. I don't love the show and I don't hate the show. Just stuck in between. Going to continue watching. Those of you that don't know, HBO has already renewed it for season 3

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I got through season 1, but I don't think I'll stick around for the new season. In the end, all of the characters are tiresome to listen to.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I watched the first season, and I watched the first episode of season 2, but I don't know how long I'll last. I am clearly, very clearly, not the intended audience for this show. And sometimes that's OK, because it allows me a window into a culture or demographic with which I'm not familiar. But at this point, I don't really care about any of these people, and I'm not interested in what they do.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
All right, which of the girls have a non-nudity clause in their contract? It's just weird how some of them appear to, and others don't or don't care.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then Brian Williams couldn't watch the show...ha. If she "were gonna", she had(has???) numerous chances on several web-isodic programs...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think Lena Dunham is the only one who has been nude. The rest have had sex scenes but didn't show any of their bathing suit areas. And in the case of Allison Williams, that's a damn crime.
What about the bohemian blonde girl? And yeah, too bad about Allison Williams, I guess her daddy wouldn't be happy about it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
What about the bohemian blonde girl?
I think she's never actually been nude. There was an episode where she got banged by an old boyfriend but she was wearing a robe or kimono so you didn't see any nudity. This thread has taken a wonderfully perverted turn. :D

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I like the show but don't particularly like any characters. That won't stop me from watching the show, because I definitely am entertained by it. But it's telling that after his first 30 second scene, Donald Glover's character was already the most likable person on it (and I'm sure there will be something weird about him at some point too, but for now at least. :D)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think she's never actually been nude. There was an episode where she got banged by an old boyfriend but she was wearing a robe or kimono so you didn't see any nudity. This thread has taken a wonderfully perverted turn. :D
Jemima Kirke wasn't as reserved when she was preggers (just did a quick image search on her name). Heh.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Still watching the show. I like the addition of Donald Glover. The first episode of season two was okay. i really enjoyed Allison Williams sex scene (or what there was of it)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Hannah is pretty unlikable in the 2nd episode.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out which was worse- picking a fight with someone over their differing political viewpoints or that she tried to 'educate' a black guy about racism. That whole scene where Hannah and Sandy argued was funny due to its uncomfortablity (and Donald Glover's line "Wow, thanks for telling me how hard minorities have it, Hannah." really made me laugh).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Still not getting the hype behind this show. Except for my Sister, I know of no one I know ever mentioning this show. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but waaayyyyyy overhyped in the media. The love affair the media is having with Dunham and touting her (in many articles) as "the voice of a generation" really starting to get irritating. I get I'm not part of the demographic this show is about (I read a post someone made on another board who supposedly knows someone at HBO who told him that by far the biggest audience for "Girls" is Gay Men. Take that with a grain of salt, but I could see that), but overall, I don't really find it that entertaining of a show.
Hannah is pretty unlikable in the 2nd episode.
One of the problems I have with the show is that I have found Hannah pretty unlikeable in almost every episode I've seen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Still not getting the hype behind this show. Except for my Sister, I know of no one I know ever mentioning this show.
I don't think it even gets a million viewers so considering the size of the country, very few people watch it. Oddly enough, all of my friends and even alot of acquaintances watch it. Your view is certainly more indicative of the size of the show's audience though.
The love affair the media is having with Dunham and touting her (in many articles) as "the voice of a generation" really starting to get irritating.
The biggest mistake the show ever made was to give Hannah that line since HBO used it in their promotions and now nearly every article about the show has to refer to her that way (whether it's positive or neagtive). In the context of the episode, Hannah is high as a kite on opium when she says that and the character has a ridiculously inflated & totally unearned ego so it's not like Dunham wrote that line referring to herself.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The show pulls in 700k-800k viewers. But it creates buzz for the network and doesn't cost a fortune to make (unlike, say, Game of Thrones). The irony is that many young single women who live in the city don't get/can't afford HBO. A lot of them use their parent's HBOGO info to stream it to their iPads.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
That's what is amazing to me. 'GIrls' pulls in 700k-800k, while NCIS delivers 20+ million viewers - yet if you only went by media coverage, you'd think the opposite was true. And I don't watch either show, so I'm not railing at the injustice of it all. I just find it fascinating that a very small group of critics and trend-spotters can anoint a series as important and profound and what you're supposed to be watching if you're smart, and it is something that less than 1% of the US population actually care to see.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
That's what is amazing to me. 'GIrls' pulls in 700k-800k, while NCIS delivers 20+ million viewers - yet if you only went by media coverage, you'd think the opposite was true. And I don't watch either show, so I'm not railing at the injustice of it all. I just find it fascinating that a very small group of critics and trend-spotters can anoint a series as important and profound and what you're supposed to be watching if you're smart, and it is something that less than 1% of the US population actually care to see.
Keep in mind though that if NCIS gets 20 million viewers, that's still only about 15% of the entire population. While popular and unpopular network shows blow Girls out of the water in terms of viewers, even the most popular shows aren't capturing anywhere near a majority of the population of the country.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The sheer number of cable TV channels sort of makes network TV dominance a tough row to hoe in terms of number of viewers nowadays, has been for 10 years and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks