What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones (2 Viewers)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
This is specifically to Mike Caronia but also to anyone who has yet to read the books:

Normally, I would recommend reading the material before watching, but at this point - given that we are halfway through the season - I'm going to go the other way and say don't. Mike, be sure to read slow :). The books are full of payoff moments that I remember being blown away by the first time I read them. We are at a point in the tv series that some of those moments are going to start happening. I eagerly anticipate seeing the reactions from all viewers but especially those who don't know what is coming.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by Josh Dial Ultimately, Feast, and I assume Dance, only span a few month's time, so gone is the notion of aging everyone 5 years. All told, I think the books take place (so far) over a period of only 3 years, starting in 297 AL (After Landing [of Aegon the Conqueror[), and ending in the first few months of 300 AL in Feast.

Hope that answers your question, Crawdaddy!

not quite correct. Feast eats up quite a bit of time, more than a few months, closer to 6-9 months I think, the odd outlier is Arya's last chapter in feast, which covers nearly a year (if not longer).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam_S

not quite correct. Feast eats up quite a bit of time, more than a few months, closer to 6-9 months I think, the odd outlier is Arya's last chapter in feast, which covers nearly a year (if not longer).

Really? I don't remember any specific indication of that many months passing (outside of Arya, which I agree seemed like a longer time). I always thought it was something like 10-12 weeks' worth of time. I could be wrong, but it all seemed to clip along at a nice pace. Maybe my interest in the new characters overshadowed my sense of time :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Ep 6 was good. I figured eventually the brother would be killed by her new husband, but didn't expect it half way through the season. Not sure where their story line goes from here, but I'm sure we will find out. I also started watching about half of ep. 7 on HBO GO app on Ipad. Will not comment on it yet because most probably have not seen it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Great episode. The show captured the excitement of the duel between Bronn and Ser Vardis, and the crowning scene was golden.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Steve_Tk said:
I also started watching about half of ep. 7 on HBO GO app on Ipad. Will not comment on it yet because most probably have not seen it.
Back in the days of The Wire being On Demand a week before it aired, the 'rule' was to not talk about it even with spoiler text either.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Well, OK...let me be the one to say that Episode 6's many moments of pure awesome were slightly undercut by some underwhelming-ness:

While I loved Tyrion's "confession," even having read the books, I'd sort of hoped his plan would be something a tad more Machiavellian (among other things, I'm rarely convinced when I see a despot "forced" to go against their preferences for the sake of honoring something like "trial by combat").

And while I realize that Ned's among the sharper tools in the drawer, did we really need to watch him sit there muttering "black of hair" over and over again to demonstrate that he's finally figuring out what the rest of us already knew?

But, eh, those are just to have something to talk about. Great ep, as usual; great show.

(On another note, I'm really surprised they bothered to cast Beric Dondarrion. The guy basically has a cameo, and won't really appear again until Season 3. They could just as easily have left him offscreen for now.)

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Here's the money shot from this week's episode (click on image in spoiler text to launch gif file):

Dude, when I clicked on that, I thought it was gonna be the OTHER "money-shot" from last night's episode.

(I wonder if Theon's whore is going to King's Landing to combine her character with that other whore that Tyrion sort-of fell for in A Clash of Kings?)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Black Hair thing, I, for one, DIDN'T know. But once would have been enough to call my attention to it given what we've previously seen between the Queen and her brother.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Regarding the Black Hair thing, I, for one, DIDN'T know. But once would have been enough to call my attention to it given what we've previously seen between the Queen and her brother.

My take was that Ned kept reading in the hope of proving his theory wrong. Sean Bean is really nailing the whole "honourable to a fault" thing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, I am rooting so hard for Dinklage to win an Emmy right now, it's ridiculous.

Not that big on awards-stuff in the first place, but while I love what he's doing, I do fear that Dinklage's... um..."unique" stature (and the fact that he gets so many of the one-liners) is causing him to overshadow a remarkable overall cast. But I suppose someone usually has to carry the banner for the entire group.

Even allowing for that, I'd love to see Dinklage win (hell, I'd have given him at least a Golden Globe nom for The Station Agent)...unless GOT and Justified are considered to be in the same category (i.e., regular series). If that's the case, I might have to swing my vote to the too-long-overlooked Walt Goggins.

But, top-to-bottom, the acting in this series just amazes, particularly given how much of it, of necessity, is done in small chunks and brief scenes.

Originally Posted by Garrett Adams

Let it not be said that the Dothraki cannot make custom form-fitting helmets.

Looking back in hindsight, I really didn't find it all that difficult to sympathize with Viserys, although he didn't handle his setbacks well at any point. His anger stemmed from being literally promised the world throughout his upbringing, being told over and over that he was "special," and having nothing to show for it when he grows up.

So he feels simultaneously cheated and ashamed that he failed to live up to his birthright, despite not being able to figure out how exactly he failed.

In any case, that's one less distracting-looking wig to deal with.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The time for Dinklage to win will be for season two, when his and Arya's arcs are some of the best they will ever be. Tyrion becomes the primary character of the series in the second book (Ned is the primary character of the first book, Arya of the third book, Cersei of the fourth book). He's terrific so far, and gotten better with each episode, but I'd much rather see him winning in lead actor next season, than to win supporting actor this season and not even be nominated next season.

I'm actually rooting for Mark Addy, of all the cast, for supporting actor. He's doing an absolute insanely stellar job in this season, and to me he has turned in the best performance of the entire show.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by joshEH

Also, who doesn't want their very own "I MADE THE EIGHT" T-shirt right now?

That bit of dialogue is easily the best thing that was added :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Ack, that's me out of this thread, until I get a hold of the books. I'm loving this show to bits but a lot of peeps can't seem to work out what spoiler tags are for.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Me too. I don't need to know who is alive in season 2, 3, and 4, etc. This is a discussion on the television show that has aired, not the books. Same reason I stopped reading anything regarding potter a long time ago.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by PhilipG /forum/thread/310462/hbo-s-game-of-thrones/90#post_3815141

Me too. I don't need to know who is alive in season 2, 3, and 4, etc. This is a discussion on the television show that has aired, not the books. Same reason I stopped reading anything regarding potter a long time ago.

I agree. I thought we all agreed at the outset that spoiler tags would be used when discussing the books.

For what it's worth, Adam isn't correct in his desciption of "primary character," so not much has been spoiled.

Personally, I like the different view non-readers bring to the discussion, and hope you guys will re-think your decision to jet.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Such is my addiction to this show I can't help but open this thread again - but I thought I should give my thoughts on it so far for anyone who's interested. Maybe I can post once in a while without reading others' potentially-spoiler-ridden posts? Hmm...

I haven't read the books. Hadn't even heard of the series. My sister told me it would be like Lord of the Rings meets (I can't remember what). The films or the books, I asked. I am not a big fan of the LOTR movies but, then again, I read the books first and that's another story. Sean Bean's in it, she told me. Okay, I said, he was the saving grace of PJ's adaptation. Lena Headey too, she said. I'm sold, I said.

The first episode was complicated, trying to work out what was going on and who was who. I was glad I was paying attention because, if I hadn't been, I'd have struggled. Since then, it's all been no problem to follow. I think I'll rewatch from the start to get my fiancée caught up and I'm looking forward to ep 1 again, in particular.

The plot-line with the White Walkers - or whatever they're called - was an odd way to start. I can only imagine they'll pop up in s2 or the very end of s1. I like that the series has been less sorcery, more swords since then.

The Wall I equate to Hadrian's. The kingdoms I equate to the old kingdoms of England (Mercia etc). I'd love to see a series based on the Dark Ages without any fantasy elements whatsoever but anyway...

Peter Dinklage has been great. I'm overly fussy about Americans trying and failing to do English accents; his isn't "right" but it's not overcooked (which is usually the problem) and it's quirky enough for me to accept it. I wouldn't call him the stand-out actor in the cast but he does have the best lines. Glad to see Aidan Gillen back after the Wire. Sean Bean seems to get better the older he gets. And Mark Addy: wow, I almost didn't recognize him.

Surprised to see actors like Julian Glover and Charles Dance in what seem like such minor roles. Glover dodders about while Dance nods and smiles. I'm not sure at the moment if his character is supposed to be the witless father or whether he's orchestrating the whole thing (if that's the case, he's cosying up to the king whilst aware that Robert's house will effectively be dead after the next generation).

Loving all the scheming, the crazies and the divided loyalties at play. I'm really enjoying the twists too - I didn't expect Viserys to bow out so quickly. He was a marvellous villain but what I appreciate about GOT is that there seem to be so many more. It's strength is its quality of characters: in most series there are one or two plum roles and then supporting roles. GOT works so well, I think, because attention is given to everyone's arcs. Credit to George RR Martin for this. I'll watch the rest of s1 then read the four books. And then the fifth book, when it's out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks