What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
todd s said:
Since Martin is so involved with the show and since he said has an ending in mind. I wonder if th show might pass the books story wise? Since they have said the show will only go 7-8 seasons and Martin still has 2 or 3 books left to write. They could finish the story on tv and then finish (and flesh out) the story in books.
Given the way Martin approaches his work, I am convinced he would never let the TV show be the "first version" of his story.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
Given the way Martin approaches his work, I am convinced he would never let the TV show be the "first version" of his story.
I think since he is so involved in the show (even writing a few of the episodes) he may allow the show to be the first to finish. The show could almost be a outline to the rest of his books. Since you can't fit everything into the show from the books.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
todd s said:
I think since he is so involved in the show (even writing a few of the episodes) he may allow the show to be the first to finish. The show could almost be a outline to the rest of his books. Since you can't fit everything into the show from the books.
That's a unique idea, but I don't see it happening. Finishing the show first will cost him book sales, certainly hardcovers, as people will wait for the paperback, the library or even skip reading since they know the ending. Finishing the books first will not cost him viewers or video sales. Too much money to do it other than the conventional way.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Charlie Campisi said:
That's a unique idea, but I don't see it happening. Finishing the show first will cost him book sales, certainly hardcovers, as people will wait for the paperback, the library or even skip reading since they know the ending. Finishing the books first will not cost him viewers or video sales. Too much money to do it other than the conventional way.
There are likely a lot of reasons GRRM won't let the show finish first. Primary among them is that he would have to collaborate on how it works out. He wrote for TV prior to his novels, and he became a novelist to tell his stories his way. Why would he resort to collaboration for the climax of his seminal work?

But, I doubt money would have any bearing. Maybe the publishers wouldn't want sales hurt, but GRRM is making a ton of money from the show and his book deals regardless of timing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
There are likely a lot of reasons GRRM won't let the show finish first. Primary among them is that he would have to collaborate on how it works out. He wrote for TV prior to his novels, and he became a novelist to tell his stories his way. Why would he resort to collaboration for the climax of his seminal work? But, I doubt money would have any bearing. Maybe the publishers wouldn't want sales hurt, but GRRM is making a ton of money from the show and his book deals regardless of timing.
I think you nailed it. Finishing the TV series first would lock Martin into decisions that he wouldn't necessarily be settled on. From what I've read, he revises each book extensively before showing anybody else.As long as the time between A Dance With Dragons and The Winds of Winter isn't as long as the time between A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons, it should be out by the time the show catches up to it. Even if they've made it through the end of Book 5 by the end of Season 5, that gives him two years to get the next book out. The real question mark is whether Book 7 will be out in time.If it's not, I think the best way to handle it is to simply put the show on hiatus until it comes out. Lets say that Book 6 comes out in 2015 and that the content of Book 5 has been wrapped up in the show by the end of Season 5, also in 2015. They adapt Book 6 over Seasons 6 and 7, and now they're caught up in 2017. Assuming their character survive that far, at this point, Maisie Williams will be 20 and Isaac Hempstead-Wright will be 18. The longest gap between books so far has been six years. By 2017, under this scenario it'll have been two years since Book 6 came out. So even if the last book took just as long, it'd be a maximum four year wait. And Williams and Hempstead-Wright will already be pretty much done growing. There was a three year gap between the end of Season 5 and the end of Season 6 for The Sopranos, so it's not without precedent for HBO.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that link.

The process is a little different than I thought it was. I thought they had dedicated units shooting in Iceland and Croatia.

This sounds like the two main units move through all the various locations together. Unless I'm mistaken, the week of shooting in Iceland was probably done last this season.

Eighteen days per episode is quite generous, but this is likely due to the show filming pieces of multiple episodes at the same time. The DP's account of five directors/DPs working with a single unit on a single set sounds like the Great Hall. Of course, you wouldn't have five different episodes shooting there on a single day. But there could be two in one day for sure.

Given the way they are shooting the series, they would need to have several of the scripts, if not all of them, ready to film when they start shooting each season. On the other hand, they only need to have ten scripts ready, as opposed to the 22 or so that a network TV series would need.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I finally finished season 3. I have to say the "Red Wedding" scene destroyed me. There are so many cruel, and nasty things that happen in this series that I'm almost a minute away from quitting it. Not really though, it is a fantastic series that gets me so wrapped up in the characters that its hard to see my favorites get brutally murdered. Looking ahead to season 4. I hope it grips me like the first 3 seasons did.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So why am I resurrecting this thread now several years old?

For those actually reading this post, I recently bought the boxed set of GAME OF THRONES. I had been avoiding watching the show for years as I thought I would hate it.

For the past two weeks, I have binge watching -- sometimes 6 episodes in one sitting.

Well, I just got done with Season Three.

What a vicious and cruel season that was. The Red Wedding is an episode I will never forget.

This show is just absolutely AWESOME. That's basically what I wanted to pop in here and say.

I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks and I expect I will be done with all seven seasons by then.

I will add comments at the end of each season thread, as I finish.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Glad you are enjoying the series, Ron. I recently picked up seasons 1-7 on digital copy for nothing and we plan on re-watching all the episodes before the final season is out. It was more difficult watching the seasons as they came out with such a long time between seasons, so being able to watch them as you are should really help in following all the different plot threads.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

This show is more amazing than I ever could have imagined. I thought it would be complicated to follow, and that is only slightly true.

I am so absorbed by this show that I am just plowing through it right now in hopes to get it all done in two weeks or less.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In my opinion, it only gets better from here. I’m envious, Ron. I’d love to experience it for the first time again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks guys. Just now into Season 4 and
King Joffrey has been murdered!
Hope to finish Season Four in the next day.

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was just kidding Ron ;) Joffrey's death is part of popular culture by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks