What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Kevin Hewell said:
About the spoilers about Arya.
I'm sort of unclear about what you are asking, but if you are referencing the cart scene and the corresponding chapter from the book, I would say I much prefer how it was handled in the book, and felt that the scene in the show was unnecessary, and in some ways actually departed from the novel's characterization.

Apologies if I am not understanding your question.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
Jim_C said:
The chapters are titled with the names of a character. For example, a chapter named Tyrion would be written about the story from his point of view, etc. I can't recall but I believe the Red Wedding was a Cat chapter. I'm 99% sure it's Cat's as that makes more sense with her slowly realizing what's going on.
Thanks for the explanation! Much appreciated.

Chad

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Warning, spoiler ahead:

Jeff Cooper said:
Hodor-fans.jpg

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I think that is the next "teaser" chapter that GRRM is planning to release. How did you get your hands on the manuscript for it? I figured it would be as well guarded as the King of Westeros.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Glad I found this thread.

I've been following the series since last April. Watched the pilot and a couple of episodes one weekend. The next weekend at 830pm, I turned on Season 1, episode 4, figuring I'd just watch a couple more before going to the pub. I think you know what happened next. Around 330am, I was caught up on Season 1 and into Season 2. Confronted my boss at work on Monday morning for not telling me anything about how addictive this thing is. He turned pale and said something like "Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, you need to be careful. It's really addictive." And then he asked "But this means you're all caught up, so we can talk about it, right?"

I bought the first book after finishing the first season. Bought the second book after starting the third season. Figure I'll stay behind the curve with the books. I'm happier just to follow along from season to season.

I've been doing my best to avoid the spoilers. Last year, I saw a few spoilers in a thread at IMDB, and nearly all of them have come to pass. (Jaime losing his hand was one...) So I appreciate that people who know the books are masking the heavy stuff. I also realize this has to be murder for the books' fans - they can't say what they know for fear of spoiling the rest of us, so they just have to patiently wait for us to catch up to them. I feel your pain.

Saw a very funny interview with George R.R. Martin on Conan last night. He's clearly enjoying the show and all the notoriety. He repeated a lot of the things he's said in pieces like the EW interview - namely that he likes the idea of the reader of his books being afraid to turn the page to see what will happen next to his characters. He also said he was writing Book 6 "very quickly", and that he expects The Winds of Winter to be about 1500 pages.

My instincts say that while I know the story continues to spiderweb out from here through Books 4 and 5, the story of the final two books will need to bring things back full circle. Assuming he doesn't add any more volumes to the saga, Book 6 would need to tee up the endgame, and Book 7 will need to play it out. I do not expect everyone to survive at all. Martin has shown an eagerness to confound expectations of that kind - and the more he thinks the audience is leaning one way toward a character, the more he is likely to push things completely in the opposite direction.

For me, the biggest pieces in the whole story are Jon Snow and Dany, who I believe represent the Ice and Fire of the song. I believe a lot of the other plot elements are intrigues of what's going on in Westeros before the really big machinery moves in. Some of those elements are extremely interesting - particularly the story of Tyrion. I'm honestly not sure where the story of Arya can go - her whole trajectory was built toward her getting herself home and now she would seem not to have a home to go to. (I greatly enjoyed the pairing of her and Tywin, although I understood this to not be completely accurate it to the books. I got the feeling from their scenes that he appreciated her intelligence and respected she was much higher born than she was playing.)

I'm really not sure what the point is of all the torture scenes with Theon - but someone pointed out to me what looked like a big clue on the family insignias we saw on the table in ep 9. I don't know what it means, but I don't think I'm spoiling anything there as the episode already aired. Why have such a big close-up of that object if it didn't mean anything?

I was quite depressed for about an hour after seeing the end of ep 9. Not because the characters were killed, but because of the cruelty of its execution. Talisa dies, knowing that her baby has been killed. Robb watches his wife die before he is killed. Catelyn watches her son (her last son, she thinks) killed before she is killed. Arya watches the soldiers slaughter the wolf in its cage. My instincts say that this will sit for a long time in the series and books before we see any answer to this for the Frays or the Lannisters. In the end, I think both parties will fall. I can't imagine an end to the whole saga where the Lannisters triumph over everyone or where the Frays don't get some sort of comeuppance. But I'd bet it will be several books down and a few seasons down the road.

Thinking about it more long-term, it seems to me that Robb and Catelyn were the easiest of the major characters to remove from the arcs of the show. Their journey has been the most straightforward one, as Martin described last week. The audience assumed that Ned was the permanent lead of the story, only to see him executed before the end of the first book/season. The audience then would turn to his son as the logical heir, making the story one of the son redeeming what happened to his father. So Martin kills him too. It seems to me that Robb's hopes were doomed almost from the beginning - he had no chance of beating the Lannister forces, particularly not the way he was working. He was simply too naïve and too straight-ahead in a world that wasn't behaving the way he wanted it to. As for Catelyn, she continued to be Ned's long-suffering wife, then widow. Losing those characters should clarify what the real story is for the remaining Stark kids.

I had one other thought, for the long term of the story. The Hound seems to me a more minor character but still an interesting one. I'll be curious if his arc eventually brings him back into conflict with his brother. My gut says that somewhere in Book 7, assuming he survives that long, The Hound fights the Mountain again, with a different outcome than the first time. I wouldn't be surprised if fire was involved.

Curious to see how things go this Sunday night. And then everyone's long watch begins before next April...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have been watching the series since the beginning, but I started reading the books before season 3 started, and am now also on book 2, about 80 percent through (reading on the Kindle which does not show page numbers). I am taking the books slow, and avoiding all spoilers.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Anyone see the rains of castamere episode? I knew what was going to happen and it was still shocking. Mrs. Fairley should win the Emmy for that performance alone. Hell, she should win an Oscar for it despite it being a tv series. Absolutely masterful.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Kevin EK-

Giant Dance with Dragons spoiler here, in relation to spoiler here, so ...

Jon Snow gets stabbed to death by his own men at Castle Black, if I remember correctly and dies. Now, will he get resurrected? I guess that's possible, but I don't know..

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
mattCR said:
Kevin EK-

Giant Dance with Dragons spoiler here, in relation to spoiler here, so ...

Jon Snow gets stabbed to death by his own men at Castle Black, if I remember correctly and dies. Now, will he get resurrected? I guess that's possible, but I don't know..
We actually don't know if he's dead or alive yet. However, I'm sure Melisandre will be a big part of what ever happens there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks