What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Dear God no!!! I dont think I cant take it any more!!!!

I guess Im reeling more simply because we have had far more episodes than Ned to get to know them.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A few things.....

-After seeing the scene and not reading the books. I couldn't help but read more about it. More specifically what happens to the Frey's. While not reading exactly what happens. I did read that by killing Robb and the others after providing protection. It was considered a very major sin among the houses. And more Frey's get killed by other houses and groups for it

-I do hope they explain Jon's reasoning for leaving Ygritte. He saw that she stood by his side. Seems a bit of an arse move.

-Really want to see some Stark revenge already.

-Finally, for those who have read the books. Any ideas who will be the king (or queen) after all of this? Or is it still an open storyline? I figured it might get resolved soon. Since you have both the army or the north and those deathwalkers still to deal with.

Just stinks we have to wait another year to see whats up.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:

I guess Im reeling more simply because we have had far more episodes than Ned to get to know them.
The reason this book series is so great is that no character is ever truly safe. It was like that before the Red Wedding and remains that way. Season 4 will have its fair share of shocking moments.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
A few things.....

-After seeing the scene and not reading the books. I couldn't help but read more about it. More specifically what happens to the Frey's. While not reading exactly what happens. I did read that by killing Robb and the others after providing protection. It was considered a very major sin among the houses. And more Frey's get killed by other houses and groups for it

-I do hope they explain Jon's reasoning for leaving Ygritte. He saw that she stood by his side. Seems a bit of an arse move.

-Really want to see some Stark revenge already.

-Finally, for those who have read the books. Any ideas who will be the king (or queen) after all of this? Or is it still an open storyline? I figured it might get resolved soon. Since you have both the army or the north and those deathwalkers still to deal with.

Just stinks we have to wait another year to see whats up.
Todd,

Jon leaving Ygritte isn't any more complicated than being true to his oath as a member of the Night's Watch. Yes, it's painful, but Martin obviously doesn't mind making his characters suffer. :) Oh, and don't expect a quick resolution. This story isn't even halfway over yet.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:

LOL I don't think episode 9 will even be the biggest OMG moment of the season. That comes before.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
RobertR, Thanks!

Another huge spoiler question for those who read all of the books....

Alright, the one problem with the series jumping and merging the books...Is that when you look to read about an event...You find out things you may not want to know. I inadvertantly read that Tyrion poisons Joffrey in a very painful way. Good for Tyrion. Does anyone think this will happen in next weeks finale or will this be the big shocking scene for next season?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I haven't had a similar feeling since I read a particular scene in the book The Kite Runner (the film didnt have the guts to actually use it and instead brushed past it completely ruining an already average adaptation for me) where I had got so invested in the characters, a particular moment made me throw the book down because I was so upset.

Feel like I have been punched in the stomach and don't want to watch anymore (but knowing full well I will be back next week for more!!) You have to hand it to Martin and his books and the show - they have created such compelling characters and dynamics that even losing secondary characters is annoying, but when the primary ones fall it is devastating. Reading the interview with Martin on the scene, you can see his logic in that Ned's death meant Robb had to go as the expectation of his son rising up was obvious and how even he struggled with this moment. But I wanted more Catelyn - Fairely deserves an award for this season.

Im hoping for a cruel end to Tywin and Walder but quite frankly I have no idea what to expect now or where its going to go. And that is what makes this show the best thing on TV at the moment.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
RobertR, Thanks!

Alright, the one problem with the series jumping and merging the books...Is that when you look to read about an event...You find out things you may not want to know. I inadvertantly read that Tyrion poisons Joffrey in a very painful way. Good for Tyrion. Does anyone think this will happen in next weeks finale or will this be the big shocking scene for next season?
That's going to happen next season. Your inadvertent reading is not quite right, btw. I could clarify but it's more spoilers so I won't unless you ask.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jim_C said:
That's going to happen next season. Your inadvertent reading is not quite right, btw. I could clarify but it's more spoilers so I won't unless you ask.
Sure...Why not. In a year I will probably forget. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
RobertR, Thanks!

Todd,

Actually, Tyrion doesn't poison Joffrey, but Cersei and Tywin and the rest of the Court think he did. The aftermath will lead up to another WOW! moment at the end of next season.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's a TON of analysis going on about TRW and a lot of angles I hadn't considered. The one I link below from IO9 takes a tack I wouldn't have and comes up with some really good points.

Sam Favate said:
If Robb's wife was not a character in the books, as many have said, and her pregnancy was also not in the books, it begs the question: Was she introduced in the show so she could be killed off in the manner in which she was? That's gratuitous, IMO.
So why do we choose to watch Game of Thrones, now that it's turned into a carousel of death, torture and mutilation, culminating in last night's Red Wedding? A couple of reasons, maybe:
1) We know that none of this is entirely random, and we're seeing the results of decisions people have been making all along. Which makes it worse, in a way, but more fascinating.
2) The rising climate of violence only makes the small acts of kindness or mercy that we keep seeing more vital and significant. In this episode alone, there are a couple of attempts to spare an old man's life, one of which turns out okay.
As for gratiutous or not:
Oh, and a side note — in a season that's had tons of stuff about arranged marriages and treating women like pieces of meat (sometimes literally), the misogyny in this episode is particularly awful, and deliberate. From Walder Frey exhibiting his daughters (and not knowing all their names) to Talisa standing before Walder so he can ogle her tits, to Roose Bolton talking about marrying a fat wife so he could get the biggest dowry, to Walder watching his wife's throat cut without a flinch — this show is rubbing our faces in misogyny on purpose, to show how it's part and parcel of the larger brutality.
http://io9.com/why-do-we-sit-through-the-brutality-of-game-of-thrones-511056408

Also, from the comments on that page:
Imma just leave this right here:
original.gif

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
On the comments above, the deaths of these characters in the story for me aren't gratuitous. They are shocking simply because the show has done a great job of developing them all. And when I piece together previous moments from the series, they certainly dont feel random.

And as a non book reader (yet) I came away from that episode feeling like I had watched one of the greatest TV moments ever!!! Job done as far as Im concerned and I think that moment will be remembered far more than Bean's death in Season 1. I would normally watch these episode twice, but quite frankly I dont think I can at the moment.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Part of the reason I always felt the Red Wedding works in the books is because it is pretty quickly tempered with

Joffrey being killed. Huzzah! The enjoyment of that, and seeing the Lannister's implode as Cersei tries to frame Tyrion for it made for a balance of sorts to the tragedy of the Starks.

But, this won't happen with these seasons being split.

I thought this season rocked and I look forward to all the big events next season brings. But, after that?...

I'm still curious to see this season if they

Put Grey Wind's head on Robb's body. You thought stabbing his wife was gratuitous? Let's see what they bring next week!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Red Wedding and Dany's taking command of the Unsullied have been the most dramatic moments in the story for me so far, much more so than Ned's death.

Yes, Quentin,

There will definitely be satisfying moments for people who are dying to see the Lannisters "get theirs". Two more highlights for me are Tyrion's raging murder of Tywin, and the wonderful way that Cersei's schemes backfire on her. Delicious stuff.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert.

Just curious.....

So they think Tyrion poisoned Joffrey. But, do they tell you who did? Or is it a big mystery?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
todd s said:
Thanks Robert.

Just curious.....

So they think Tyrion poisoned Joffrey. But, do they tell you who did? Or is it a big mystery?
Littlefinger and the Tyrell's kill him. And, Margary marries Tommen instead. Much easier to manipulate...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Todd,

It won't be kept a mystery. If you think about what's been shown, you can figure out who did it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yeah, I have too much invested in the books and series to read the spoilers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks