What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Some housekeeping ...
On spoilers, it's always been convention that once it's aired, it's fair game. No discussion of previews. Only what airs in the episode. There's no easy way to give a few days' grace period to watch an ep (and not fair to everyone who is anxiously awaiting the initial airing). The easiest bright line rule is you can post after it airs. I also agree with spoilerizing anything from the books. Last season, I was in the group that hadn't read the books and it was frustrating reading through all the comparison posts. I've now read all five books, but I can still sympathize with those who haven't. It's not much trouble to spoilerize with a quick reference that it's a book spoiler and it keeps everyone happy.
To McPaul, Matt's simple description is accurate. If it looks like something you'd enjoy, watch the first season first. Watch at least the first two eps before you decide whether to stick with it. The story is an intricate weave of deception, honor, intrigue and betrayal. You can't pick it up in season 2 without missing some major underpinnings that serve as the basis for later hate, revenge and major plot lines. The dvds are out if you don't have access to HBO Go or On Demand. The author has written five books of epic length and there are at least two more to come before the series ends. No reason to jump in at season/book 2.
Re the production, DirecTV (and I'm guessing the other providers) has a number of 2-3 minute previews available on demand that go into the various set locations, like Croatia, Iceland and Ireland. It's pretty interesting stuff and goes to show how much HBO is investing in this. The shots in Iceland (used for scenes beyond the Wall) are incredible where they have to move the cameras, set pieces and equipment onto the glacier every morning and bring them back down every day just so they can have frozen mountainscapes in the background. Great stuff.
As for the ep, so glad to have this back. I'm rereading book 2 to refresh and could not be happier with the on screen portrayal. The screenplay does a great weave of the various story lines as GRRM's shifting perspective writing style would not work so well on screen. Loved how much Grey Wind has grown and the signs of intelligence the direwolves show. Also loved Bran's dream of seeing himself as Summer when he looked into the pond.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
ahh. well it's obviously not enough to go on, but I saw a few minutes out of a show last year. season one maybe? and these guys were being chased by these wolves who kept appearing, and it was middle of winter and that's how I got my opinon of it.
I've never heard of Dune either, so perhaps it's just not my thing. is there something I can watch that wont give away all the spoilers but will give me enough to go on?
thanks.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I liked the sequence with Jamie as a captive and the direwolf teasing that he was going to bite his face off.

Joffrey telling his mother than slapping him was a capital offense was grim, because he's crazy enough to do it. Would hate to lose Cersei - she's one of the highlights in a show full of them. Seems to me Joffrey also has more than an inkling about his true parentage, which he'll never admit because it would defeat all his claims to the throne.

Tyrion is telling his lady to stay hidden? That can't end well.

Perhaps the most memorable segment of the episode was the scene in the north ("the real north") at the home of Craster with the many wives. Craster is a wildling? I was confused by that.

Also, who was the woman with Stannis? Melisandre? She seemed to have some sort of power, or at least be immune from whatever poison was given to her. She certainly had power over the men on the beach.

With all these people laying claim to be king from every inch of the land, it made me think we were seeing the Republican primaries start over again.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Craster is a wildling, in that he lives north of the wall beyond any rule or authority. But, he isn't part of the 'organized' wildlings under Mance Rayder.
The woman with Stannis is Melisandre - she is a priestess of Rhi'lor, the Lord of light (God of flame and shadow). He is not one of the traditional 7 gods of Westeros. She is from the Eastern kingdom of Asshai (near where Dany is). And, yes, she has sorcerous powers. But, I'd say her greatest power is the sway she holds over Stannis.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/318405/hbos-game-of-thrones-season-2#post_3914539
...Well, there's THAT debate settled (re: Stannis and Melisandre).
There was a debate? :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Josh Dial said:
There was a debate? :)
Heh. This is true. :D
"Let's fuck."
"I cannot, I'm married."
"I shall give you a son."
"SONS TURN ME ON!!!"
*sexin' commences*
Man, when it ended tonight, I thought we were only halfway through; it flew by. Obviously, by now, the Tyrion-scenes rock, and I totally liked the bit with Varys. He can be one scary bald-dude.
As for the sex content in this episode...a lot of it, but also profoundly uncomfortable and tragic; as intended. I guess they heard the complaints about the "happy whore" trope, and put that firmly to rest in this episode. The Littlefinger scene was very good, IMO. It went from, "Ahhhh, what a tender pimp" to OMG very quickly.
(Also: Littlefinger wiping the man-gravy off that whore's mouth.)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would agree that the episode just flew by tonight. Liked the pirate associate of Davos (don't recall his name - despite it being suited for songs and glory. :) ) The writing, and the performances conveyed the relationship (between Davos and the pirate) with good economy of effort. Nice to see Arya again.
Also, Littlefinger wiping the man-gravy off the whore's mouth.
Better yet, having the disgruntled client kiss said mouth moments later with the client unaware of what had just commenced. Not that the client would have any illusions about whom he was kissing; merely the timing of the events.
- Walter.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Really, really cool of them to get into the nitty-gritty of what Caster's doing with his sons. This keeps the creepiness of the White Walkers front and present, while also not being a huge departure from the books. And hopefully we'll meet
the Halfhand soon -- considering he dies before the book's over, it won't mean as much if we don't get to know him that well.
Then again, they made Syrio Forel memorable in just three scenes. Then again then again, that was SYRIO FUCKING FOREL.
And of course, if you see three people in a cage, and one of them is soft-spoken and courteous, that one's probably the most dangerous. That voice. Damn good casting.
I'm all right with the Ros scenes. More screen time for Littlefinger; it shows the emotional turmoil of the baby-slaughter (which will foreshadow nicely
that riot-scene, a personal favorite of mine from the books),
and of course, unless my ears deceive me, a reference to
Vargo Hoat? It seems to me the show is saving that character for when he actually will amputate a certain character's hand. Martin's good at setting up these minor super-villains (seriously, some of these minor villains would fit right in with certain comic book's rogue's gallery), but always a bit early.
Given where this season is already in relation to the book, I'm predicting we'll finally see
Brienne
either next week, or the week after.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think Salladhor Saan is actually cooler in the episode than he is in the books!

I'm really glad Davos is getting some early screen time. I remember when A Clash of Kings first came out, and a lot of fans hated the fact that new POV characters were introduced (seems odd to say now, seeing as how it's one of Martin's greatest assets), and the "action" was moving away from Stark/Lannister-centric. Davos has always been a favourite character of mine--along with Jaime--and I'm happy that the show is really playing up his loyalty to Stannis. In fact, even Stannis seems cooler that he does in the books (though he's pretty badass).

Liked the stuff with Arya, Gendry, Lommy, and Hot Pie. I especially liked the seemingly-throwaway line at the start, with Lommy talking about "yielding" :)

Dany's screen time is a little sparse two episodes in, so I'm guessing an upcoming episode will feature her quote prominently.

Also, Jaqen H'ghar! "Valar morghulis," bitches!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I hope that fat kid on his way to the Wall becomes king. He'd just sit around and kick people in the balls.
"I kicked him in the balls, I did -- I kicked him until he was DEAD."
Tyrion verbally dismantling the Captain of the Guard. Babies being sold to White Walkers. Tyrion and Varys having a showdown. Littlefinger being even creepier than normal. Redheaded firewitch-sex. I fucking love this show.
I bet lots of guys right now are wishing they had girls like Mel offering them sons via table-tango. The casting of Carice van Houten certainly didn't waste any time reaping benefits.
c7690eef_3205aa21_dYLut.jpeg

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Renewed for Season 3.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/hbos-game-of-thrones-renewed-for-third-season/

What the heck is that poster of dentistry about ???

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I have no idea either, but it is pretty hilarious how creepy the "Doctor" looks compared to his staff.

Originally Posted by mattCR /t/318405/hbos-game-of-thrones-season-2/30#post_3915039

What the heck is that poster of dentistry about ???

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It appears to be a legitimate poster for a Craster Dentistry in Germany or Austria, but someone photoshopped in the actor who plays Craster in GOT. Part of the joke is that the team of Aryan dental hygenists are his daughter wives.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I particularly LOVE the sunflowers next to Craster in his portrait... Damn, that's a funny/sick poster.
I cherish Carice Van Houten...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
About 20 minutes in, I had to fight back the urge to just start chanting "Half-man!! Half-man!! Half-man!!"
That extra coin for Pycelle's whore = Awesome.
Arya really inspires dudes to die for her in the most badass ways possible. (MVP tonight was Yoren. Alas. Knew it was coming, but still.)
This show is just on fire right now. The scene where Tyrion plants his various seeds was just all-around brilliant. Brienne and Margaery are perfectly cast. Theon's scene with his father, and then him burning the note did so much to advance his character.
They totally hit this one out of the park.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This was a spectacular episode. The plot moves at exactly the right pace, the new scenes do their job perfectly, and the show is faithful to the books when appropriate.

"I yield!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks