What's new

HBO's "Carnivale" (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

I thought the second show was on par with the first, however I liked the end of the first episode much better. The bear hat just didn't do it for me.

Also, the second episode had a lot of predictable scenes in it. Most notibly, the young boy at Chin's and the car scene at the end. Sometimes the lead up is just a little too lingering, and it spoils the momentum and allows you to predict the outcome.

I do like the casting, though. A lot of unique looking characters, especially Sophie. Plus, I wonder how long it took to find so many unaltered breasts in Hollywood?

Blu

Screenwriter
I've seen every episode and I really still don't know what to think of this show.
It is somewhat entertaining but at the same time I don't know if I like it or dislike it.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Episode 3

Thought it was pretty weak compared to the first two; no new revelations about Ben's past. Donovan's mother knew about the price of Ben's gift. She didn't want to be healed because she knew something--or someone--else would die.

I think we could all see the whole "faith healing crusade" bit coming a mile away. I'm just glad they got it out of the way early.

Next week: on to "Babylon". Sounds intriguing.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
It was a lot slower than the first two episodes. Next week does sound interesting. What will Babylon be? Babylon means the "Gate of God", but is there any significance in the dictionary meaning?

1. A city or place of great luxury, sensuality, and often vice and corruption.

2. A place of captivity or exile.

Except that everyone from the Carnys to Donovan's mother thinks Ben is a dead ringer for Scudder.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah...didn't get much out of this ep either. seemed like a lot of fluff. if this show doesn't pick up or toss me a couple of curves soon, i'm gonna ace it.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Guys - please don't be the same "fans" that balk at the Sopranos because there isn't a good killin' in every episode...

Watch over the entire series - not just one...Then decide...

I really feel that it is building up very nicely for something great at the end...

But it HAS to slow down to pick you back up and go again...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Watch over the entire series - not just one...Then decide...
but what if it turns out to suck? ;)

seriously though, a series should be able to hold you....keep you interested throughout...not just "string you along" until some final payoff.

the series really hasn't picked up any pace yet. i know a lot of this is backstory and exposition but still...

anyway, i'm not totally knockin' it...i'll give it a couple more eps.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I also find myself wodnering when the main plot will start. But hey, it's only 12 episodes. Even if it sucks, I haven't wasted much.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
3rd installment was okay.

Now Ben knows that his gift/curse comes with a price, and that he can't be healing people unless someone/something else gives up their lifeforce.

That preacher needs to work on his temper. He's going through that town's influential men awfully fast.

That Sampson and the other carnies go to where Ben is directed to go, and know about the places gives an ominous and foreboding tone to the journey.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Everyone is trying to figure out if the Preacher is bad and Ben is good or vice-versa. But, it would throw everyone for a loop if both Ben and the Preacher were good? And they are being prepared to fight the true bad guy who we see in the dreams.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, the preacher and Ben appear to have a yin-yang thing going on: preacher takes life away, Ben infuses life back in.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
No, Ben transfers life-force.

OTOH, the preacher's (unintentionally) evil actions do bring about some good.

That was a pretty decent episode. They continue to build stuff up. I can't wait for the pay-off (just hope it's not right at the end of the season).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Tonights episode seemed to lay out something I've suspected:

The preacher is also taking life force.. he's taking it from his sister, though. I think sometimes people are eager to cast him as evil; I don't see any of his acts as evil, he seems to be trying to do all the right things to save people.. they just don't end well.. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Very slow paced episode, with some frightening revelations in the last half of the episode.

For a while, I was thinking preacher dude was causing the Black Blizzard from his pain caused by his father giving him the bad news.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I think Sophie might be trying to get pregnant, cause if she only wanted to get laid she would of been more into it. Maybe she realized he was married just before, during, or right after the had sex.

The preacher is really doing all this for the migrants and children, his rant to his sister was awesome. I sure hope the preacher isn't made to be the bad guy, but I can see him destroying quite a few people with the town included.

I can't with to see what happens next, mangament has to be some kind of being but what kind I have no good idea.

"2 bucks!"
"The wind."

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what was sophias comment about the guy she had sex with? i couldn't tell - did she say she was (or was not) aware that he was married?

a slightly better episode....but a lot of (what seemed) extraneous stuff. what was the whole point of sampson (? still not sure of all the names) and the hooker? couldn't see how that was relevant to anything.

looks like the blind guy may become ben's yoda.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks