What's new

HBO options Song of Fire and Ice (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Why doesn't anyone think Tyrion will end up with Dany? I've always thought of it as a fitting pairing. A loveless marriage that would rule well.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am at a 100 pages or so from the end of the second[/b] book, I want to discuss this adaptation, but I am afraid of spoilers, some of which I am already guessing, even with the letters instead of names. No one's fault, just venting.

Anyway, I'll play the casting game a bit, sorry Adam, but Giamatti as the stern Eddard Stark is a terrible idea. Even the Giamatti of The Illusionist is not steely enough.

On the other hand, it's proving impossible to imagine anyone other than Dinklage as Tyrion.

Patrick Stewart as Tywin is a good idea as well.

I think Brian Cox would have been a good King Robert a couple of years ago -- See Agamemnon in Troy. He is probably too old now.

Josh Holloway would be a good Jaime Lannister.

That's all I have for now...

--
H

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
lol, I actually had to go find the post that said Paul Giamatti because I honestly couldn't believe I thought that.

I personally can't imagine Giamatti in the role, my image is Jurgen Prochnow, Duke Leto in Lynch's Dune, who is far too old now. I am sure Giamatti could pull off the acting, I just don't think he has the physical size to carry off Eddard. Christian Bale could be a great Eddard--HBO would have a hook/star to bring in a huge audience and you only have to pay star salary for a year and get the benefit of a Psycho esque surprise at killing off the lead star

Though Bale would probably also earn a check as an executive producer for the remainder of the series if he were cast as Eddard.

I saw Find Me Guilty, Peter Dinklage has the second biggest role and is amazing, seriously, no other actor on the planet could be a satisfying Tyrion, in my mind.

in terms of the letters as spoilers (R+...) nothing has been revealed definitively in the books and has been an enormous fan debate, off and on, over the last five years I've been reading the boards. :P

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, I am most fascinated by the character of Jaime Lannister at this point. He is kind of the Harry Lyme of the series so far, much talked about, very seldom seen, so much that when he does show up,

even in the unflattering bowels of Riverrun,

...he steals the show. His casting is critical I think -- the actor needs to have one hell of a screen presence. But then again fo all I know, he head will be garnishing the walls of some castle in the next 5 pages (yes, this goddamn series is that unpredictable :angry: ).

Book 1 spoiler:

More than Eddard's death, it is the unceremonious, even casual way it occurred which got me. I just couldn't believe it! Man, I've not been pissed like that since reading War and Peace 10 years ago. We've been so used to elaborate send of major characters that when they bite the dust in so suddenly and unexpectedly before without giving us a chance to get ready, it's just awful. But hear this: now that I know everyone is game for worm food (crow food?), they could get rid of the whole of Westeroo for all I care, but I would NEVER forgive Martin if he killed off my favorite character, Arya. I am simply terrified at that thought. How sad is that, it's a work of fiction!

I know I am risking much by posting even though I've not read the whole thing yet, if you wanna reply to this post, please keep in mind that I not done with book 2 yet, thank you very much :D

--
H

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
How about Gerard Butler for Ned?

Holadem,
I always get a smile when I hear of people trying out this series. I came on after the first 3 were published so I'm a relative newbie myself, but I did have to endure at least a couple of years waiting for a new novel to come out. Hopefully in the span of 6 months or so you will have access to 5. Of course, at that point you'll join the waiting game with the rest of us Martin fans :).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Holadem, when you finish A Storm of Swords and jump straight into a Feast for Crows, remember that some of us had to wait FIVE AGONIZING YEARS for that book, considering the events at the end of ASOS this was akin to torture.

My favorite three characters are Bran, Jon and Arya, then probably Tyrion, Jaime and Samwell. :) Jaime has one of the most fascinating arcs of the entire series. :)

I saw an early version of the Golden Age, and although she doesn't have the modern supermodel 'beauty' thing going, Samantha Morton would make an incredible Cersei (she plays Mary Queen of Scots in the film).

Arya (not from the books, but something that's been mentioned by the author about Arya, but it could still be a spoiler if you've not read ASOS and AFFC):
Parris, Martin's partner/wife (not sure which) has threatened to never speak to him again if he kills Arya. So hopefully Arya's safe for a while.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The Brokeback IceWall jokes just write themselves, don't they?

But casting theories are always a fun way to pass the time... I'm not familiar enough with child actors to cast good kids yet, but anyway....
Tyrion: Definately Dinklage. I think Warwick Davis has a better voice, but he's 20 yars too old.
Jaime / Cersei: I don't know, You'd need 2 really good looking actors who look a whole lot alike. (They are twins). I'd say Pitt is he had a sister.
"Littlefinger": Edward Norton
Varys: MeatLoaf (shave his head, you know you want to), Jason Isaacs would be good if he gained 60lbs.
Sandor "the Hound" Clegane: Kurt Russell (think Soldier with burn makeup)
Gregor Clegane: 'The Mountain that rides' never appears unarmoured once in the books, simply put any 7'6" extra in plate-maile and you've got the Hound's big brother. Then dub his voice with Type O Negative's Peter Steele
Qyburn: Sam Neil
Eddard: Ned is written as long of face, tall and thin. Giamatti is none of these (even if he can navel-gaze with the best of them). Christian Bale
Aemon Targaryen Max von Sydow (he is still alive, yes?)

Odd thought: Robert (Baratheon not Stark) and his brother Renly could, in theory, be played by the same actor. A fake beard, some grey hair and a 120lb fat suit will go a long way. My choice: Ryan Reynolds (No ..... seriously).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Re: Gregor Ceglane - Michael Clarke Duncan as photographed in The Green Mile should do it. The Hound would have to be black too I guess. Unlike LOTR where fairness of skin as an attribute of good guys, I don't think race matters much here. But then again, some of the prostitutes have been described as black and coming from some remote lands on some other continent, so that might screw up things bit.

--
H

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I think Martin's work analogies to real countries, as far as human racial types go (and certain geographic flavor).

Westeros = Europe. specifically the Iron Islands = Norway. Dorne = Southern Europe 'Spain / Greece / Sicily. Vale = Austria (if for nothing but mountains). The North = Russia (for the weather). Neck/Reach/Riverlands = Jumble of eastern European mishmash. Racially and geographically speaking, anything under Charlemagne's empire.

Summer Isles = Carribean (geographically) Africa (racially)

Asshai/Ti Yi = China & Southeast Asia (Its unlikely these countries will ever be explored thouroughly in upcoming novels)

Braavos = Venice, Italy (The other, mostly ignored "free cities" might be based on any old mediteranian city-state. Myr most likely being Alexandria).

Dothraki 'Sea' = Mongolia/Russian Steppe (throw in the 'stans racially).

Qarth (the entire unnamed desert continent really) = Persia

Valyria = ?. Valyria is ASoIaF's "forbidden zone", whether you the reader assume its supposed to be Atlantis, Shangri-La or Rome after the fall is up to you. The ancient race of Valyrians have no corresponding earth race unless there is a land of silver-haired people somewhere I've never heard of.

I think celtic cultures (Ireland, Scotland, Wales) are the only major EurAsian cultures that have had no fictional counterpart.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm off-base on anything.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I always thought the North of Westeros was Celtic, didn't connect it to Russia.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Martin said once that he imagines Tywin as Kurtwood Smith (the dad from That '70s Show among numerous roles).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

I always thought that was the most cliche fantasy casting choice, and it'd make it hard for people not fans of the books to take the character of Tywin seriously. Especially if he's bald with big giant blond muttonchops on the sides of his face (which is how he's described)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Re: Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, I would prefer they leave his face as is. Not that Dinklage is ugly, he is not, I simply think he has a great expressive face which it would be a shame to smear with make up (Though I am very well aware that some outstanding acting has been done from under thick masks -- see G'Kar in B5).

While Tyrion's ugliness is seminal to his character, I feel just being a dwarf in that forbidding universe should be enough of a handicap to provide much of the same insecurities and motivations, thereby removing the need to mess up Dinklage's mug.

--
H

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Tyrion/Dinklage and makeup: spoiler for A clash of Kings
there's no need for heavy makeup on Dinklage until the third season (a storm of swords) which is post the massive Kings Landing battle where Tyrion has his face messed up.

I've always felt tyrion's 'ugliness' was more a factor of normal dwarfism than actual facial deformingy. The battle does fuck up his nose and leave him with some scars though.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Tyrion is "ugly" only to his older sister. Jaime never describes his brother to one way or the other, and everyone else (his father included) only comment on his dwarfism. The only specific written about his appearance is an out-of-round head, which Dinklage already comes equiped with, two different eye colors (easy enough with contact-lenses), and the trademark Lannister blond hair (which comes in a bottle).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
actually Tyrion's trademark lannister hair is so blond it's nearly white. which has led to a bit of the odder end of fan speculation that he's not Tywin's son, but a bastard of the mad king Aerys--that his mother 'fell down some stairs' while pregnant (with Tyrion) when Tywin found out about the real father. :p

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
The books will always be around, and serve as a testament to fine fantasy writing, so if the producers can at least retain the spirit of the series, then I'm already willing to forgive the changes that will inevitably lead to disappointment. As long as the changes are logical ones. So the kids being elevated in age to early twenties may make sense, as well as other tweaks here and there. I'm just excited to see this finally make it to the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks