What's new

Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans-1957 NetworkDVD R2 Web Exclusive Jan.31,2011 (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the info, Bob. I'm actually reconsidering Robin Hood after researching it on this forum. It looks like the Mill Creek cheapie is comparable in quality (or isn't it?). I'm still going to bring in some of the other swashbucklers from Network (I just registered with them).

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
You are welcome, David. As you probably know from your research, the Mill Creek Robin Hood, Season 1 used collector prints which included some bumpers and original commercials, and Seasons 2 and 3 used what appeared, to me, to be the same prints Network used. I never saw the Mill Creek Season 4. I had purchased the Network individual season releases years before the Mill Creek versions came out. I later bought the Mill Creeks because they were so inexpensive and I was curious about the old commercials which turned out to be only on the Mill Creek Season 1 set.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Gu said:
Previous to the Network site redesign last year, there was a tab to click on where you could get the weights of each DVD set to estimate you total weights for shipping. I can't find it now, if it's there.

The Richard Greene ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD: Complete Series set, ordered by itself shipped to the U.S., with the VAT tax removed, is 25.00 pounds plus 7.85 pounds shipping= 32.85 pounds total, which is, $38.13 plus $11.98 shipping = $50.11 So the Robin Hood set by itself does not trigger the 40 pound ($61.00) overseas shipping fee.

Once your register at the Network site and they know you are from the U.S. the site lists all the prices with the VAT tax removed. And placing any items in your basket while logged will show the price without VAT and what postage they are charging. So you can delete items to stay under the higher postage. Smaller orders are the way to go unless you order many titles where the $60.01 fee might turn out to be cheaper, since that's the limit charged.

coinmill.com/GBP_USD.html
Thanks for that information. I did not think to order the shows directly from Network. I have a whole list of them I plan to get to. I had heard that Mill Creek's Robin Hood print quality was not good, but maybe that just related to the first season. If the later seasons are better perhaps it would make sense just to get the network season 1 set.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Joe, if you do that,Network does not list the separate season sets of Robin Hood, anymore, but you can probably still find them at Amazon UK.

Amazon UK has pretty reasonable postage rates compared to Network.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I ended up pulling the trigger on William Tell, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Sword of Freedom. Thanks for the heads-up on the Network sale.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
David, those three series are excellent choices and I hope you enjoy them.My favorite of those three is WILLIAM TELL. The NetworkUK release of William Tell is superior to the Timeless release, not only because it has all 39 episodes vs 30 for Timeless, but also for the better detailed picture quality. If you are old enough to remember when Tell was syndicated in the U.S. you will note that the U.S. version of the William Tell theme song known by fans as the "Freedom Song" is on the episode titled "Castle of Fear". The U.S. version of the theme is from the front part of the "William Tell Overture" and the UK theme version, which is on the other 38 episodes and the Timeless 30, is from the same part that the Lone Ranger uses, played at a different pace.The "Swashbuckler Sale" ends June 13th.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Gu said:
David, those three series are excellent choices and I hope you enjoy them.My favorite of those three is WILLIAM TELL. The NetworkUK release of William Tell is superior to the Timeless release, not only because it has all 39 episodes vs 30 for Timeless, but also for the better detailed picture quality. If you are old enough to remember when Tell was syndicated in the U.S. you will note that the U.S. version of the William Tell theme song known by fans as the "Freedom Song" is on the episode titled "Castle of Fear". The U.S. version of the theme is from the front part of the "William Tell Overture" and the UK theme version, which is on the other 38 episodes and the Timeless 30, is from the same part that the Lone Ranger uses, played at a different pace.The "Swashbuckler Sale" ends June 13th.
Thanks for that. I will have to investigate it very soon.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Gu said:
Previous to the Network site redesign last year, there was a tab to click on where you could get the weights of each DVD set to estimate you total weights for shipping. I can't find it now, if it's there.

The Richard Greene ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD: Complete Series set, ordered by itself shipped to the U.S., with the VAT tax removed, is 25.00 pounds plus 7.85 pounds shipping= 32.85 pounds total, which is, $38.13 plus $11.98 shipping = $50.11 So the Robin Hood set by itself does not trigger the 40 pound ($61.00) overseas shipping fee.

Once your register at the Network site and they know you are from the U.S. the site lists all the prices with the VAT tax removed. And placing any items in your basket while logged will show the price without VAT and what postage they are charging. So you can delete items to stay under the higher postage. Smaller orders are the way to go unless you order many titles where the $60.01 fee might turn out to be cheaper, since that's the limit charged.

coinmill.com/GBP_USD.html
I think its probably worth my while to get the older swashbucklers. Do you have any thought on how I could get the cheapest shipping?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Register and log in at the Network site. When you start adding sale items to your shopping cart it will show the item charge with the VAT taken off and the shipping charge. When your items go over one pound in weight the 40 GBP overeseas shipping charge kicks in. At that point delete an item to get lower shipping and complete that order and then make a second separate order to get you other items.For example David's order of the complete series DVD sets of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL, WILLIAM TELL, and SWORD OF FREEDOM had a shipping charge of 7.85 GBP ($12.20 US). If you added HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS to that order it would have put the order over the weight limit and you would be charged 40 GBP ($62.12 US today).But if you made Hawkeye a second separate order, by itself it would be 6.70 GBP for shipping. If you added THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO to your Hawkeye order, the shipping would be 7.85 GBP for those two items.If you are thinking of ordering, remember the sale ends in UK time.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Gu said:
Register and log in at the Network site. When you start adding sale items to your shopping cart it will show the item charge with the VAT taken off and the shipping charge. When your items go over one pound in weight the 40 GBP overeseas shipping charge kicks in. At that point delete an item to get lower shipping and complete that order and then make a second separate order to get you other items.For example David's order of the complete series DVD sets of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL, WILLIAM TELL, and SWORD OF FREEDOM had a shipping charge of 7.85 GBP ($12.20 US). If you added HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS to that order it would have put the order over the weight limit and you would be charged 40 GBP ($62.12 US today).But if you made Hawkeye a second separate order, by itself it would be 6.70 GBP for shipping. If you added THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO to your Hawkeye order, the shipping would be 7.85 GBP for those two items.If you are thinking of ordering, remember the sale ends in UK time.
Thanks for all your help Mr. Gu. I don't know whether to curse you, though, as I just made the largest blind DVD buy in my life (I got everything in the sale plus Pimpernel minus the shows from the last 20 years or so and the few feature films). Just kidding about the cursing part; it just pains to part with so much. Eventually, it just made the most sense to suck up the 40 pounds. However, the Amazon.co.uk reviews for all of those shows are really good, and I am hoping for good quality entertainment for myself and my impressionable youngsters for many years to come. Thanks again!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I know you will enjoy these, Joe/Ray. All these ITC shows have a wry sense of humor and good and interesting stories. The historical settings make them different from the usual westerns and cop shows, and can create interest in researching the history brought up in the stories.

One of the interesting things about SWORD OF FREEDOM is that it is set in Italy at the time of the City-State and the starting up of Artisan Guilds (unions).

Many Robin Hood stories seem to have fun playing with language and old sayings. There is actually a story where someone's actual apple cart is upset. Fun Stuff!

DVD collecting bleeds money, but it is worth it if you enjoy the programs.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Bob, thanks for posting about the sale. I got the E mail for it, but then promptly forgot so your reminder was most welcome.

I wanted to get both COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO and SWORD OF FREEDOM, but could only afford one so chose the latter since it was much cheaper than it's ever been at Amazon UK. And as you posted it has what sounds like a very interesting setting and story.

Network is one of those studios where I could easily spend thousands of dollars they have so much I am either interested in or curious about. I wish they had cheaper prices for their product or someone would send me tons of gift cards for them. Where's that genie when you need him?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I hope you got your order in, Glen. The Network sale is just about over now, time zone wise.

I was hoping to upgrade my Mill Creek and Timeless DVDs for the Network editions of The Buccaneers and Sir Lancelot during this sale, but had to pass because of real-life bills and impulse buys of other DVD sets earlier this year. So no Lone Ranger or Dobie Gillis for me, until they go on sale.

One of my recent Network impulse buys was the complete collection of the action-packed cop show THE PROFESSIONALS, which I liked very much. And now Network is restoring The Professionals for a new release in 2014! Do I want it? Yes. Do I need it? No. Can I afford it? No. Will I get it anyway? Maybe, but I hope I have sense enough to wait for a sale.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Well, it cost me 16 pounds for the show and another 4 pounds or so for shipping, so I think I got it before the sale ended. I used the Swashbuckler Sale link.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have now watched 2 episodes each of Scarlet Pimpernel, William Tell and Sword of Freedom. So far, I think I'd rank them in the reverse of the order in which I lsted them.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks, David. The two I'm missing from the Adventure series are SCARLET PIMPERNEL and MONTE CRISTO, so I'm always interested in hearing reactions and reviews for those two.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Glen, The Scarlet Pimpernel just seems to be the least compelling of the three I purchased.

William Tell has the fact that the Swiss suddenly find themselves under the thumb of Austria and are fighting for their very freedom. The outrages of the evil Gessler adds a lot of tension to the stories, more so than in Richard Greene's Robin Hood. And Tell doesn't simply disarm his enemies by shooting their weapons out of their hands. Lots of Austrian soldiers get killed.

Sword of Freedom is very tongue-in-cheek. It does not take itself too seriously, but is still an adult show. Edmund Purdom displays much more zest and humor than he did in the big-budget films he made in the 50's in which he susually played stiff characters. I think he was mistaken for the stiffs he was playing. The show really does a good job of evoking the renaissance via costumes sets, and some clever forced perspective backdrops. In one episode, Peter Wyngarde played a Sicilian card sharp and looked and acted as if he'd stepped right out of the renaissance.

But getting back to The Scarlet Pimpernel, it is extremely well-shot. Much use is made of evocative lighting. In the very first episode, Sir Percy keeps his face in and out of shadow while in the company of one of the women he rescues, so that she will not be able to identify him as the Pimpernel. However, if you've seen the Leslie Howard film or the Anthony Andrews TV version, it has little in the way of surprises. Sir Percy acts like a Regency era silly-ass, and then makes fools of the French as he goes in disguise to rescue aristocrats from the guillotine. Lack of variety may be why the show did not last long. But, I need to watch more episodes before passing judgment, and Marius Goring is funny when he's in full fop mode. When I have time, I will post a screenshot or two to show how handsome the production is.

Okay, here we see Sir Percy and a confederate played by a young Robert Shaw:

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-21h54m24s103.png

Here Sir Percy attempts to keep his face hidden from the woman he has rescued:

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-21h55m28s233.png

A bit of business with Chauvelin and Sir Percy's snuffbox:

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-21h56m33s117.png

And as Sir Percy sends the rescued Frenchwoman off on his ship, he again hides his face in shadow:

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-21h57m31s248.png

Really a handsome production, using lighting to make the sets and budget appear greater than they are.

---EDIT---

And here's a shot of a young Peter O'Toole as "1st Soldier":

vlcsnap-2013-06-19-22h33m14s30.png

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
It's always fun to spot a later famous young actor on the way up when watching shows from different decades.

I like on the SCARLET PIMPERNEL how usually Goring actually disguises himself as the character he replaces. I think there is only one episode where Goring plays both the character he later disguises himself as, and Sir Percy disguised as that character.

David thanks for mentioning those interesting backdrops in SWORD OF FREEDOM. It's nice when a show does extra things to create visual interest.

I'd like to talk a bit about THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO. Cristo may be the best looking of all the Network ITC DVD swashbuckler releases. Cristo has a sharp very clean looking transfer with an excellent greyscale and nice detail in the blacks. The sets have lots of detail and depth.

The Count of Monte Cristo stars George Dolenz and Nick Cravat, Burt Lancaster's acrobatic buddy from the swashbucklers, "The Flame and the Arrow" and "The Crimson Pirate".

The plots are a bit repetitive, with The Count saving someone or himself from false imprisonment, murder, or financial ruin.The show is entertaining and fun with much swordfighting and fistfighting in the action scenes.

This is some nice energy with Dolenz's confident performance as the Count and Cravat's acrobatics during the action scenes, as the silent Jocopo.

Cristo had a second sidekick along to help out, Mario, played by Fortunio Bonanova, in three episodes, Carlo, played by Henry Corden, in eight episodes, and Rico, Robert Cawdron, in twenty-seven episodes.

The first twelve episodes were filmed in Hollywood and the last twenty-seven were filmed in the UK.

The US episodes are on Discs 4 & 5 on the Network DVD release. Using the episode numbers on the Network DVDs this is the order I would recommend to watch the show: Episodes 33, 31, 34, 28, 32, 29, 30, 35-39, 1-27.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Has anyone taken a look at "Sir Frances Drake"? I picked several Network DVD releases several year back during a sale. I have Robin Hood S1 (rest of the seasons from Mill Creek), Buccaneers, William Tell, Sir Lancelot, Hawkeye, and Sir Frances Drake. I had seen some of William Tell growing up, which peaked my interest in getting many of these titles, and based on comments from those on the forum.

Unfortunately, I have not had much time to dig into them but I did see all of Sir Frances Drake and really enjoyed it. Just curious if anyone else has.

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
Just wanted to ask if anyone else noticed on the Hawkeye DVD set if the audio sounded weird. At times it sounded like the audio had been redubbed. Some sound effects just sounded off. Maybe I'm crazy but just wondering if anyone else thought it was weird?

Also the episode order wasn't correct according to IMDB and some other online sources but that's not really a big deal just thought I'd point it out.

Did anyone else notice too that on one of the episodes there was a different opening. Did they run a different opening in different countries maybe?

Also noticed on some of the openings there was some other guy doing the voiceover, it wasn't the original voiceover guy (sounded a little modern to me)

Just some things I noticed, what did you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks