What's new

Hawaii 5-0 season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
[COLOR= black]I’m still enjoying the show and thought the last few episodes were pretty good. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]As for the product placement, I certainly don't think they went overboard with the phone items. It is not as if they identified the phone as a WP7 phone so the vast majority of the viewers mostly likely did not make the connection. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Of course Apple fan boys did so they are grousing about it I guess. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Really it was a play more on how Danno didn't know how to use technology. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]If you want over the top product promotion try Bones last season. Heck there they where mentioning the Toyota models by name and mentioning the car’s great features.[/COLOR]

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think CBS stands for the Chevrolet Broadcast System as their vehicles are prominently featured on a number of their shows. Not really a criticism though as placement is part of the game these days. The WP7 stuff on Five-O hasn't bothered me. I would agree with Patrick that it was more about Danno not being comfortable with technology. I find the show to be way over the top at times but I'm still enjoying it as a popcorn action series.

For me, the most overt display of promotion on a series that I can recall was the handling of Avatar on an episode of Bones last year.

- Walter.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On a side note. Grace Park (Kono) is supposed to be this young rookie. She is almost 38yrs old while both O'Laughlin (McGarrett) and Caan (Danno) are 34. That being said she looks much younger than 37-38. I would have said late 20's.

I am enjoying the show. It is what it is..An action crime show.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, I'm still enjoying the show very much, it's exciting in a way that is different from anything else on television and I get a real kick out of the humor.

Dano is volatile in a way that's both a little off putting and endearing, he's definitely James Caan's kid lol. I'm glad that O'laughlin finally found a hit show, I've liked him in every failed show he's ever done.

This is also the show that HD was built for, I want to at least visit Hawaii once in my life.

Lastly, Dano's ex was hawt, that accent.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Of course Apple fan boys did so they are grousing about it I guess. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]

Interesting that you decided to go there - I have less love for Apple than I do for MS actually. I simply don't care for blatant product placement in my entertainment. Now, I have not actually seen this episode, but from my previous post on Bing I can only imagine that it is not quite as stealthy as you portray. I will check it out over the weekend in any event.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
The bing one was obvious. Had I not seen an ad for the particular phone that Dano was using on a different channel 5 minutes before the episode, I wouldn't have known that it was a Windows7 phone. It definitely (for me) played off the anti-technology nature of Dano.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Alrighty, finally waded through the backup on the DVR. I have to agree with AlexF on this one - the was not near as blatant as mattCR led me to initially believe. Certainly not as ridiculous as the "Bing it" scene...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally saw the last episode. So is Danno going to get back with his ex-wife? Looks like they sort of still like each other. I thought this episode was okay, the bit with Danno's ex made it better. I can't see Jack Lord doing that kind of action to take down the bad guy though! They sure do rely a lot on technology on this show, as do so many now.

So I must have missed the "Bing" thing as it must have been in another episode? I didn't record the last first run episode, so I'll try watching it on CBS.com

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

It looks like they are moving in that direction. I would like to see this happen.

BTW, I was all geared up to watch the latest-recorded episode on my DVR last night, and it turns out to have been a repeat! Dang. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I recorded the episode the week before this Danno and ex-wife episode and it was a repeat too, but missed the week before. Glad that CBS appears to be streaming the episodes. It would be nice to see Danno reconcile with his ex.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Whoa! Glad Castle was a repeat tonight so I could see this week live. Spoiler in case you've not seen it yet: That was a surprising twist at the end, now I thought this guy who killed McGarrett's father would be a recurring thorn for McGarrett. His capture seemed too easy. But I see they use this as a way to introduce, Wo Fat! With hair! It will be interesting to see how they explain his role in this remake. Still an operative? The effort to get the bomb off Chin was rather a breezy affair! Chasing down the clues and then stealing the money was almost a farce! :) but it was fun.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Stealing the money was a farce, and totally setup Park has the fall guy, since the old woman saw her. i hated everything about that plot, and so it was hard for me to "buy in". If he had her ready to shoot him anyway, why bring the money at all? Why not just get there and shoot him? i don't think there is any reasonable way that they can resolve burning $10M dollars without it seeming like a cop out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Fair episode tonight. The promise of McGarrett fixing up his fathers Mercury would be interesting to see if he drives it. The scene when Jin, I mean Chin, meeting his ex, I was hoping they'd use Yunjin Kim. But I know that would have been too much so soon after Lost. And the house they break into looked remarkably like John Locke's house. :) I didn't care for the comedic bit involving CHiPs. And I thought Masi's acting here is so goofy compared to his portrayal of Hiro. It's like he's playing it so campy. I wasn't clear, is he supposed to be Che Fong?

Spero D

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I didn't care for the comedic bit involving CHiPs.
That was one of my favourite parts of the ep and I thought brilliant writting. The boys at the end watching the CHiPs marathon and arguing over who is Estrada out of the 2 of them had me and the family in stiches.
But once again it showed how miscast Hiro Nakamura, I mean Masi is. Just pulls me out of the ep whenever he is on screen and I would dump him from the series.

Lastly- Awesome roll out of the car Danno!

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I haven't watched last nights ep yet but I think this is the best new show this year. I thought they have done a great job in reinventing a old classic. I remember watching the old one with my dad. It is amazing when they get a reincarnation right. Looking at the junk called Knight Rider as how not to do it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree Masi is miscast! As a classic reinvented, that's a very good point. Jack Lord's McGarrett is iconic, serious hard boiled type. So the new MaGarrett having fun with Danno about CHiPs is a contemporary touch that would appeal more with people who grew up with CHiPs. I sure enjoyed CHiPs at the time too. But to me, it seemed out of character. And I admit that I still have Jack Lord in my head! I enjoyed the original H5-0 too as a kid. Danno jumping out of the car was an impressive stunt.

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I recall an episode of Mannix back in the day where they ran through the Brady Bunch house chasing a bad guy.

Havent run across it yet in the DVDs, but I also haven't made it through Season 4 yet (might be too early).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks