What's new

Hawaii 5-0 season 1 thread (3 Viewers)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Bit at the end was kinda lame where they are trying to find a name for the group. It was OK, we'll see where it goes. If I did'nt have a DVR thou I'd be watching Castle all the way, the show has better scripts and is a bit more fun and entertaining. Still will be watching the original , for Lord and all those Guest Stars.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
My family and I watched the premiere, and we enjoyed it for the most part. I could have done without the half hour or so of bickering between McGarrett and Danno, but now that that's finished, TPTB can get down to some differently-focused writing. I kind of hope the guy behind the counter (the one who sold them his t-shirts) is a regular or recurring character in the series.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Never heard of this Marsters actor before.

Never saw "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Angel", or recent "Smallville"?

It has been posted on other entertainment sites that Marsters will be seen again on this show.

I liked it well enough, and will watch it a little longer to see how it all pulls together - if it does at all.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I thought is was pretty good.

Like other comments in this topic, I thought the "bickering/bonding" was a bit forced between Scott Caan (Ocean's 11, 12, 13) and O'Loughlin.

Of course, the same was true of "NCIS: LA" early last season, and that show started to find a groove by the end of the first season.

I am DVRing this show along with "Castle" (which is one of the most enjoyable shows on TV currently).

Personally, I hope they find a nice vibe between the characters and offer a bit of "insight" (as well as some "flashback" eps establishing the characters a bit more) into their pasts.

A pretty decent debut as far as I am concerned. Nothing "earth shattering," but nothing that offended me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
John, sorry, I'm just not inclined to watch those shows. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just not into them.

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Originally Posted by Jonny P

I thought is was pretty good.

Like other comments in this topic, I thought the "bickering/bonding" was a bit forced between Scott Caan (Ocean's 11, 12, 13) and O'Loughlin.

Of course, the same was true of "NCIS: LA" early last season, and that show started to find a groove by the end of the first season.

I am DVRing this show along with "Castle" (which is one of the most enjoyable shows on TV currently).

Personally, I hope they find a nice vibe between the characters and offer a bit of "insight" (as well as some "flashback" eps establishing the characters a bit more) into their pasts.

A pretty decent debut as far as I am concerned. Nothing "earth shattering," but nothing that offended me.

I felt the same way. Pretty good show that I'll be DVRing as well. Just seemed cut and dry at times. So they got me on the hook for at least this season

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Given how first the Governor, and later McGarrett stressed the whole "do whatever it takes", "with immunity" angle, I'm thinking this will be a far harder-edged show. As it is, they were pretty ruthless with shoot-to-kill and simply running down bad guys with their vehicles.

I wonder if Jean Smart will be a recurring guest as the Governor? After her turn in 24, it's nice to see her in a role playing someone in authority herself and not just First Lady.

I can't remember much of the original 5-0, but wasn't that the same, that McGarrett headed a special task force that reported directly to the Governor?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Except in the original, Jack Lord's McGarrett would follow the law and get convictions based on lawful means. This new show and the idea that the Governor gives McGarrett freedom to do what it takes and get around red tape is the difference as far as I can tell.

While the original McGarrett and team were pretty trigger happy and most of the bad guys got their come-uppence in the end. (not sure I spelled that right, not an everyday word for me.)

I'm reading that Hawaii Five won the time slot and is being called a hit. While I know that's hype as the ratings could plummit over the next few weeks.

It was watched by 13.8 Million viewers, with a 3.9 rating in the key 18-49 Demo. It beat the season premiere of Castle (2.8 demo rating) and Chase on NBC (2.5 demo rating). I hope Castle can hold it's own as I think it's a better written show. And I do think the demographic for Castle is different. Though it seems that not only me, but many here at the HTF like Castle too.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Liked the 2nd show, glad they are keeping the dialog light, it adds a bit to it, not to be as straight laced as the original.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched it last night, via DVR. I enjoyed it. The chemistry between McGarrett and Danny is improving, as you knew it had to after a while. I also like the way the are paying homage to Kono (via Kona), and I especially appreciate how they have retained the original form of the name for her character, although the feminine(?) form would have been okay with me as well.

This is the only show that I am currently watching on network television (excluding sporting events). I hope it does well.

Nelson,

I believe I read that the figure may have been closer to 16 million viewers. BTW, I didn't realize that DVR viewings could be measured. That's interesting.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm really liking the show and I did watch the original growing up. (Yes I'm that old)

Originally Posted by Ockeghem
Nelson,

BTW, I didn't realize that DVR viewings could be measured. That's interesting.

They definitely can be measured and that's a good thing since I do not watch any TV live so I can skip the commercials, well accept the commercial that has a friend of mine giving a testimonial. Although now that I have seen it I'll skip that one also.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'll give it another week to see if it finds its rhythm any better than the second episode. Otherwise, I'm checking out. The incredibly clumsy (to the point of irritating) Chevy product placement just about did me in this week. Too bad. I really wanted to like this program.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know someone who works at TIVO HQ and they know what is being watched! I just don't know if that info is shared. I don't use TIVO and record directly to my computer OTA. So they can't know what I'm watching!

I just saw the second episode, it was okay. This new McGarrett is psycho! I was surprised they spent so much time again in the car with the bickering between Danno and McGarrett.Not sure I like that yet. I'm glad it's not so CSI like. It had some moments. I'll keep watching a little longer. Scott, I agree it is nice they kept Kono as Kona and respected the original.

I didn't mind the Chevy product placement, sort of vengeance for them since Ford supplied cars to the original series. I'm a vintage Ford Mustang guy myself so I was hoping to see Danno back in the Mustang he drove in the pilot. Though I'm sure Chevy would not like that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I'll be happy when McGarrett begins his work on the 'original' Mercury Marquis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks