What's new

Having problems installing Turtle Beach Montego DDL (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Just got my Montego DDL card I intend to use to provide 5.1 sound to my HT receiver for WMVHD and games. I'm having problems installing it. I'm getting this message after Install Shield tries to start the install process:

I went into Device Manager and I think I uninstalled the drivers for the onboard NVidia sound, and disabled the onboard sound through device manager, but I'm still getting this error. Do I need to disable the onboard sound through the BIOS? I seem to have trouble getting into the BIOS on my system (I have a DFI LanBoy motherboard)... Which F-key is it to get into the BIOS? I think part of the problem is also my USB wireless keyboard... sometimes it's not recognized until Windows starts up.

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ok, an update. I managed to get into the BIOS and disabled the onboard audio from there. Booted back into XP, and it automatically installed some generic drivers for the card (CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device), so I get sound, but no DDL or anything special like that. I'm still getting the same error when I try to install the correct drivers however. I can't find any updated drivers online for this card.

I'm about to rip my hair out. :frowning:

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Another update. Card still isn't working right, but I don't think the issue is with the card. I also noticed that data transfer rates from my LiteOn dual layer DVD burner / DVD drive / CD Burner / CD-ROM drive are EXTREMELY slow. So slow that when I was copying the soundcard drivers to my HD (about 65 megs worth or so) took over 30 minutes. So slow that I can't even play an .mp3 without it pausing often. Also, I tried to reinstall my motherboards nForce 3 drivers (uninstalled the old ones to see if that would work), InstallShield did the same thing as when I tried to install the soundcard drivers. It would say "Preparing to install", the bar would fill up, then it just quits. It didn't give me any error messages though. I'm about ready to call it quits, try to backup the gigs of .mp3s and digital photos and flight sim addons I have, and just reformat the bloody computer. I'd rather not, so I hope somebody here might have some suggestions!! :frowning:

Brian

Just so you have my specs:
DFI LanBoyUT 250 gb motherboard (nForce 3 socket 754 chipset)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1 gig PC2100 ram from crucial
XFX GeForce 6600GT video card
200 gig IDE hd (I think it's a maxtor)
LiteOn DVD-Dual Layer burner, and all that
Turtle Beach Montego DDL soundboard
I have the Realtek AC97 audio stuff on the MB disabled through the BIOS

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
The Montego doesn't have the best reputation, but two things:

1. Go find your temp directories and clean them out, the InstallShield deposited files in one of them that are probably corrupted, everytime you re-run the installer it dumps more and often gets confused when it sees the same files already there for installation.

The two places are in C:WindowsTemp and C:Documents and Settings%Your User Name%Local SettingsTemp
Note that Local Settings is a hidden folder by default.

2. Are you using the latest drivers from the web (if available)? I would go and download any updates and install it, don't use the CD-ROM included if possible. It might be that you have a bad CD.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
No joy. It's gotta be something with Install Shield though, I think, since I did get it to work with the generic windows drivers for that chipset. I did pull the card and am using my onboard sound for the moment.

The reason I think it's Install Shield is because I've tried reinstalling my nForce 3 motherboard drivers, and install shield quits out on that too, just with no error message.

:frowning:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Not sure what that error was all about, but I tried reinstalling everything again. Probably did it in the proper order this time Uninstalled drivers for on board sound, shut down PC, rebooted and went into BIOS, disabled onboard sound through BIOS, rebooted, shut down again, installed sound card in PCI slot, turned computer back on, put in CD, installed drivers, and they actually worked this time. Excellent!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks