What's new

Have you watched and listened to Blu-ray DVD concerts? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anyone see the Paul McCartney BD yet? (Space?) I was going to pick that up, but thought they may release the new Mets stadium concert he did last year that aired on Thanksgiving and was excellent. But I'd be interested to hear how the BD out now sounds (and looks) if anyone has it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned Roy Orbison: Black & White Nights. There are several stars with him and they only do backup. This is Orbison all the way and he sounds terrific. They did cheat some with the audio. For instance the back up singers (Bonnie Rait, KD Lang, Jennifer Warns) are behind Ray but the mostly come out of the surrounds.

However, I love this, the sound is enveloping. Highly recommended. I second the Chris Botti concert too.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I reviewed the Orbison Blu-ray a while back.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/283935/htf-blu-ray-review-roy-orbison-black-white-night

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I LOVE this topic.

I've picked up:

Diana Krall: Live in Rio (my favorite--performer and BD concert disc!)
Elton John - 60 Live @ MSG
Elton John - The Red Piano
Barry Manilow - Manilow Live!
(This has an underwhelming 4.0 audio track)
Michael Jackson's This Is It (Like Ryan says, this sounds great!)

I've also picked up:

Company (2007 with Raul Esparza)
Rent (2009 Live on Broadway)

I love the possibilities of Blu-ray for concert discs. We just need more of them (in the musical genres that interest me )! For the record, Manilow and MJ aren't my ideal artists for concert discs, but...

I'd love to see more jazz!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I've got a great Branford Marsalis concert (playing Coltrane compositions) shot in hi-def but only available on SD DVD. Too good to pass up but would be spectacular on BD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PaulDA

I've got a great Branford Marsalis concert (playing Coltrane compositions) shot in hi-def but only available on SD DVD. Too good to pass up but would be spectacular on BD.
I've seen that in the store, Paul!

And that was my thought process: "I bet this'll be out on BD someday..." But maybe I should bite sooner. It was "A Love Supreme," wasn't it? Is the audio really good?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I just picked up Tori Amos: Live at Montreux.
It's a much older video.. from a concert she did in 1992! So, much older material (Little Earthquakes) and damn does she look young, but the performance is fantastic and the audio/video are great, great stuff. It may be one of the best sounding piano pieces I've ever heard, and it is easily the best live action of hers I've ever heard.

I also have the Nine Inch Nails.. that's a great disc too, for different reasons.

And Barenaked Ladies

I keep looking for a "They Might be Giants" Bluray.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned Roy Orbison: Black & White Nights. There are several stars with him and they only do backup. This is Orbison all the way and he sounds terrific. They did cheat some with the audio. For instance the back up singers (Bonnie Rait, KD Lang, Jennifer Warns) are behind Ray but the mostly come out of the surrounds.

However, I love this, the sound is enveloping. Highly recommended. I second the Chris Botti concert too.
Wasn't the video cropped on the BD release of this concert? I have the SD-DVD version, and the aspect ratio is 1.33:1. Since this concert was filmed for Cinemax in the late 1980's, I would think that 1.33:1 is the proper aspect ratio.

BTW, it's a great concert.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

EDIT**: [url=http://www.amazon.com/Barenaked-Ladies-Talk-Michigan-Blu-ray/dp/B001HB1K78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270043155&sr=1-1]Ah. Found it! I don't know how I missed this. I own the CD/DVD combo package. I always thought the video looked awful. How's the PQ & SQ on the BD?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The video quality is also not great on BD. But it's much much better then the DVD. Audio mix is pretty unique, the surrounds really get some work, but it feels as though you are there. It's a decent pickup. I grabbed mine for $10 from a kid on Craigslist. I'd spend the $10 again.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Just one:

Michael Bublé: Caught in the Act - Excellent BD upgrade to the CD/DVD combo I already owned.

I'll eventually be adding more BD concerts. I am still waiting for Phil Collins' 1998 A&E's Live by Request special (my holy grail) to be finally released on DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Matt! This will be mine. I love BNL (who has a new CD out this week for anyone interested).

Funny thing. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I am always checking out the Blu-ray concert discs at the stores I frequent and have never seen this anywhere in-store. As I noted earlier, I didn't even know the concert existed on BD.

Which brings to mind that concert discs are often given short shrift by retailers.

One never can be sure where to look for them in a store. My local Best Buy features them in the CD section in a rack above where the CDs are displayed (you might be lucky to find the artists convert DVD/BDs stored somewhere near their CDs! That makes it much easier to browse the discs and see if there's anything there of interest.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
The BNL disc has a decent audio track (much better than the lackluster DVD), but the actual concert was disappointing considering how amazing their live shows usually are. I wish they had released it unedited with the full set list intact. Ah well...

Haven't seen the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall disc mentioned. This was a fantastic release though, highly recommended with great picture quality and incredible lossless 5.1 and stereo mixes.

Not a huge John Mayer fan, but I saw some of his Blu-ray concert disc and it looked and sounded great as well, for those who are interested.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Mason

The BNL disc has a decent audio track (much better than the lackluster DVD), but the actual concert was disappointing considering how amazing their live shows usually are. I wish they had released it unedited with the full set list intact. Ah well...
Having seen the concert on DVD, Patrick, I agree completely. I still think it sounds like the upgrade will be worth it to me. You almost get the sense they toned things down...knowing there was going to be a DVD release--like they were playing to a general audience rather than their paying fans.

I've been building quite a collection of audio of BNL shows from amazon & iTunes and hope their own site rebuilds their download archives soon. I actually find their shows/music GREAT to listen to while at the gym.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Why aren't these 2 bands existing HD shows on BD yet:

Eagles: Farewell 1 Tour-Live from Melbourne Released on HD-DVD, but not BD. A HUGE act which will sell very well on BD. Perhaps their more recent tour will be released rather than a re-release of this show from 2005? Either way, they need a disc & it will SELL.

REM - Perfect Square Shot in HD and a fantastic overview of REM's career. One of my favorite REM live shows. The DVD already looks & sounds great. Why not put this out on BD or is there something new in the works?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:

Not a huge John Mayer fan, but I saw some of his Blu-ray concert disc and it looked and sounded great as well, for those who are interested.
That's a great disc. It's 3 sets in one (one solo, one with the John Mayer Trio, and one with a full band), with a ton of great material. (And I'm not a huge fan, either. I got it for 1 penny when Circuit City closed down. :) )

I got the Company BD, which is nice, and have been anxiously awaiting BD releases of other recent Great Performances shows. . .and waiting. . .and waiting. . . :(

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I agree, I have the DVD & CD now, (Boz Scaggs) looks and sounds great, for a DVD, but would be even better on Blu-ray. There's a lot of concert recordings out there that would be so awesome on Blu-ray with the newer Dolby and DTS formats. I keep an eye on whats available on a weekly basis. I mostly listen to Blues and Jazz, and I agree there's a limited selection as to what's available and have pretty much run out of discs to buy. Maybe if the public shows more interest we can get more Standard DVD Concerts converted to Blu-ray sooner.
I too have the John Mayer Blu-ray and is fantastic, but have not found a CD that I like by him. Funny how some Artist's are better live than in the studio, might be the producer or the recording company holding the Artist back or both.

huber13

Grip
Real Name
Mike Huber
I was never a big John Mayer fan until I got the BD concert wow! What a show and the sound is incredible too. You know what, I haven't found a CD from him I like yet, especially after seeing the concert. The Dave Matthews is just the 2 of them and accoustic it's Hair Raising as far as an overall BD for that kind of music. The opening, "Bartender" sounds totally new.

Haven't seen the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall disc mentioned. This was a fantastic release though, highly recommended with great picture quality and incredible lossless 5.1 and stereo mixes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's funny about the John Mayer BD. I've had people recommend it to me...even though I don't know anything about his music (although he HAS dated Jennifer Aniston).

I've sampled a couple of tracks on amazon and for some reason I've been hesitant to take the plunge...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I know it was mentioned earlier, but in my opinion it's worth reinforcing: The 'Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall' is absolutely wonderful, both audio and video; in fact, it's pristine. If you're a Dave Matthews fan, it's a no-brainer, and if you're only a marginal fan of the "DMB" sound, it's worth checking out. The concert is more in keeping with the sound of his solo disc 'Some Devil', and it's a stand-out example of how two guys with acoustic guitars can hold an audience for a couple of hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks