What's new

Have you reached the "point of diminishing returns" with your speakers? (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
But even with really expensive, quality speakers, there is always something different. Not necessarily better overall, but different sounding and with different strengths. For example, I could imagine myself wanting to try line arrays, dipoles, horns, etc., even if I had amazing normal speakers. Does that make sense?

Mike<>

Auditioning
ive got paradigm studios, and there isn't anyhting out there that i'd want to upgrade to. i'm just not interested in spending several thousand dollars on speakers again, when these sound great to my ears.

i've got a servo-15, and may want to add another sub at some point because i have a huge room. a BFD is just a couple days away from my house, so we'll see if that changes my mind at all.

i'm driving these with a yamaha rxv995, and could probably use some more power. a new amp or receiver is on my short list, but i'm waiting to see how the digital amps play out.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Will another $5k only get you 5% better sound
Maybe getting 95% there is like being happily married. The other 5% is the occasional glance at some of the other good-looking women around. I think it is just human nature to wonder "what if", whether it is HT or other things...

JimNug

Auditioning
Have Innersound Eros and Isis speakers. For those of us that are electrostatic hybrid fans I truly think that you would have to spend a lot more money to do significantly better than these at their price point. Anyone that likes the electrostatic design approach really owes these a listen. You will likely find yourself with at least an extra $5,000 to put elsewhere in your system as a result.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I had A Paradigm Studio set-up for 3 years 100's/cc450/adp's/Active 20's/Servo 15a sub. I auditioned Def Techs,PSB's.Mirage,Vienna Acoustics, Dynaudio, ML's, and about 10 other lines. I went from Dallas to Austin to Houston and in between and heard a old but new line the VR3.5 HT set-up from Von Schweikert. So far I have had them 2 years and feel no need to upgrade. I will say the new PB2 Ultra has helped in the Bass department. This system will keep me happy for years to come. I will say it also helps to have solid equipment upstream.
Steve

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'm extremely satisfied with my ACI's (Essence center, Sapphires front, and on-wall Emeralds rear). Went to hear some well reviewed speakers this weekend costing much, much more than the ACI's and none bested them imo. Simply great speakers and I have no itch whatsoever to move onto anything else.
I second this opinion and Dana and I have almost the exact same setup. I have one extra pair of Emeralds for 7.1 use.

I am driving them with an Anthem AVM-20 for the processor, Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono for the main two channel amp and a Sherbourn 5/1500A for the Center and surrounds.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
Diminishing returns is relative isnt it?
I hit that point when I bought my HTIB, it sounded 50% as good with the HTIB speakers as it does now with the speakers I upgraded to.

HTIB=$450 Onkyo HT-S760
New sub=$1200 SVS PB2+
New Speakers=$1000 Polk RTi150's, Rti38's, CSi40

So for an extra $2200 I have a system that sounds twice as good and I still use the HTIB receiver. Getting a reciever that matches the speakers will cost another $1000 to $1500, or if I go Pre/Pro add maybe another $500 to $1000 to the top of that. This might make the system sound say ~10% to 15% better?

Diminsihing returns? You bethca! ;)

marion.r

Grip
I have the Klipsch RF7's and think they are great. They are indeed bright and they do color the sound. They are efficient and therefore can sound good with even low power equipment.

If one is talking best...the one must look at speakers like Wilson, Vandersteen, and powered speakers...Genelec and ATC.

Considering the advent and progress of SACD as well as HT, most of the big guys recommend ATC. They don't color the sound...they don't loose power in the crossovers, and they have a full range. Cabling is relatively easy since they are interconnects.

Vandersteen reports that they have phase and time resolved. Wilson just has the reputation. Genelec is recommended by many of the HT installers because they can tweek the sound to the room.

ATC is used by the big studio to mix the sound in the first place. Lord of the Rings, Matrix, and others use ATC as the replay at the studio...there must be a reason.

These are my thoughts...

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
This is an interesting thread!

I certainly think for HT diminshing returns applies.

In my main room I have Paradigm Studio 40s, CC and ADPs driven by a Pioneer Elite 45 TX and a Def Tech subwoofer. I have $3400 in the Receiver/Speaker setup.

In my basement I set up a mix match system for my kids and their friends.

I have Pioneer Elite 41 TX and an ADCOM 545 amp driving Pioneer speakers in the front ($59 each)and center. Bose AM-10s for the SL and SR (and Base Module) and Sonance Symphony in ceilings for the SBL and SBR. I have about $800 bucks in the setup not counting the Bose which were bought over 7 years ago. No subwoofer yet but a SVS will be purchased soon adding another $600 for say $1400 total.

All this stuff was purchased over many moons mostly for other reasons except the in ceilings and the 41TX.

My main room sounds great, in my opinion. I love it and I love music in the room. My basement was just done and I can say this - it is impressive. Treble is a little bit too blaring and it lacks some midrange but the effects are great and certainly impressive especially to the uninitiated (which most are).

I really think room setup and speaker placement are the most important things in a HTheater when music is not as important. My sons friends were over this weekend and were raving about the basement theater.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks