What's new

Have you ever bought a speaker you didn't listen to? (1 Viewer)

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to Definitive Tech's BP2006TL and loved them but they are just a tad outside my price range. I'd like to listen to the Pro Tower 400 or any other DefTech's that might be in my price range. But I can't find them anywhere around me.

Is it absolutely crazy to buy a cheaper DefTech without hearing it?

Is there any place to buy DefTech's online that might be cheaper than the local dealer?

Are there other DefTech's just slightly cheaper that you can recommend. The dealer wanted $1,100 for the 2006's. I have about $1,600 to spend on my fronts, center, rears and sub (if necessary).

Thanks for all the help!!!

RichardHOS

Second Unit
I bought the Magnepan MMG's without listening to them, but that was primarily because they had a money back guarantee straight from the factory. Of course, sending them back never once crossed my mind...

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Other items you may want to consider:
Rocket Speakers
http://www.av123.com/products_produc...90f303b0d38512

OR

AXIOM
http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.html

Plus both rockets/axiom carry a 30 day back guarantee.

I have not heard them but there have been many great reviews.

Also I know when I was helping my friend out we looked at a package deal on Paradigm. http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteP...e/systems.html

Another thought...my friend own def techs all the way around and I think my Acoustic Research Hi Res sound better but then again it could be with room set up etc....We both use the same reciever/dvd player. Just a thought.
Oh yeah and I could not find my Acoustic Research Hi Res to listen to so I bought them from Accessories4less and was very happy with them. It was risky but well worth it. If I were you I would consider the Rockets/Axiom/Paradigm package deal.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Can it be?, someone other than Brett DiMiChele that owns a
pair of Acoustic Research Hi-Res loudspeakers?, cool.

I'm a power tower man, so when I first saw the specs for the AR1's I knew they were my destiny, up until the AR1's
power towers of that magnitude were simply waaaay out of my
reach financially; and yet here are a pair of speakers
that are comparable if not equal and dare I say in some cases out perform models that are several times more expensive. It was a no brainer for me, in fact I bought them from a guy I contacted through email who hinted that he was selling his pair. This was because I could not find
them ANY where, why?- because Acoustic Research had
filed for bankruptcy(or rather their parent company Recoton did). So I commited two cardinal sins in my
effort to attain these puppies...but like I said they were
/are my density....I mean my destiny. As for their performance?....it is everything I'd hoped for times infinity; and if I or any other owners of Acoustic Research
products should ever be in need of repair or replacement
parts they can contact AB Tech-they have taken over all of Acoustic Research's warranty and post warranty responsibilties,their number is 1-800-225-9847.

P.S.-Is it possible to be in love with inanimate objects?,
because I think...no I know I'm in love with my AR1's. They
make me giggle like a little girl-tee hee hee.
(Yea, I know I need help..but I don't want it.)

:D

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Reese,
Acutally before I bought mine I did question brett about his to see how much he like them. I went for the lower model then his though but I was still impressed for the $380 I paid for my AR11's. For the price I don't think they can be beat. I love my setup for now. Yes I know there is always stuff coming out(which drives anyone who is deep into HT stuff crazy) Upgrade bug....hit me at once. I bought the center, then the rears, then the front, then the sub.....within like 3 months I replaced all my old kenwood with AR Hi Res line and for the price I have not complaints.
I just felt it wasn't necessary to have the built in powered subs...I like having it seperate....well you know SVS ...........:b

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Holy Cow there are three of us now? :D :emoji_thumbsup:

I can not compare the Hi Res to the DefTec since I haven't
heard the Def's but I am sure they are good speakers any
way..

I love my 9's though! (As if no one knows...)

And yes to answer the original question.. I bought them
without listening to them. But I knew they would sound good
because I owned other AR speakers and was always pleased
with the company and it's offerings.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
You hit the nail right on the head Chad. For the price one
pays-the AR Hi-Res series cannot be beat. The performance
and build quality I'd always wanted(in a power tower) at a price I could afford, it was like I'd died and gone to heaven. Mind you I had never previously owned or even-gasp-
heard of Acoustic Research (only been into hometheater for
three years) beore the AR1's. I owned a pair of Sony power
towers that I bought back in '95, I used them for videogames,watching televison and occasionally movies
on vhs. I fell in love with power towers with those speakers. In 2000 I got a dvd player (thus an HT fan was born),the Sonys only had line level inputs and outputs that were located behind the left speaker, which doubled
as a quasi receiver/equalizer. That same year I bought the Onkyo TX-DS777; I connected the Sony towers to the Onkyo's
Front L/R pre-out. They did a fantastic job, the bass from those 60 watt subs in each tower were more than enough in my 18x18 room, but I knew these were not the power towers
I was destined to have indefinitely (it also didn't help that the amp in the Sony tower would go to standby if the
volume on the Onkyo was too low-also there was this thick
10 foot power/audio cable that connected the left tower to the right, no big deal except that it would prevent me from ever having the fronts more than 10 feet apart).

Anyway, the Sonys gave me a vision for the type of power towers I really wanted, unfortunately that vision was beyond my resources--until the AR1's.

I'am tickled pink with my current system, of course in a larger room I plan on upgrading my center and rears,but for 18x18 room they are perfect, and infact match up splendidly with the AR1's -go figure. As for my Onkyo TX-DS777 (which I love dearly) I plan on keeping it for a looooong time; because unless I come by a large amount of money the only reciever I would "upgrade" (I could care less about dolby pro-logic 2/dolby digital ex/THX ex/DTS es matrix/discrete DTS neo:6/ etc,etc) to would be the Onkyo TX-DS989 - because of it's ability to be flashed via it's 232 port any new audio formats that might come along, also cause it's a gorgeous piece of machinery, that thing is a time machine!

Anyway, I'am proud to be in the trifecta of AR Hi-Res
owners.

P.S.-No offense to anyone (especially you Chad) but who needs Rockets and SVS subs when you've got a pair of AR1's?
-Ducking-:D

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Reese,
No offense taken. Just from comparing my friend who has powered def techs up front and no subwoofer it just doesn't sound right to me. I enjoy having the seperate sub and non powered front speakers. That is a choice I made.
I have read that the older Onkyo's are built like a tank compared to the newer models.:D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chad,

They are... I have a TX-DS787 (was the next step below the
flagship 989 at the time) it's an amazing reciever.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I think now companies are worried about all the bells/whistles that they forget to put the money into the onboard amps and stuff.....waste if you ask me.
Give me a machine with DTS,DD, PLII and all the inputs/outputs ones needs and well there you have it.
Maybe that is why so many people are getting into seperates.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the question in the thread's title: yes, I have and don't regret it one bit.

However, I went up the chain, not down. I listened to the Paradigm Titan and ordered its bigger brother, the Phantom. I loved the Titan and reasoned that the worst case scenario is that the Phantom didn't sound any better and I'd still be happy.

I'd be a little bit nervous going in the opposite direction, because it's uncertain what characteristics are going to be lost when stepping down a product line. Perhaps it's the element you like best that is missing from the cheaper speaker. That would be bad. Then again, it may just be a nicer wood veneer or beefier speaker connections and the sound is the same. That would be good. There's definitely more risk in stepping down the line than stepping up.

Good luck.

terence

Supporting Actor
To also answer the question as well yes! I don't regret it either after e-mailing people who owned AR speakers and people who owned the over seas version. Heck i even ordered back issues from What Hi-Fi that reviewed the speakers that i wanted. The AR Stature S50 (UK version Status) sounded great right out the box! Once they broke in they sounded even better, so i ordered the matching C/SL/SR/SBL/SRB to match and have been in 7.1 heaven. I hate that AR has gone the way of many great speaker companies have went. Brett was the only one i knew of on this forum that owned AR speakers now there are two more. I know i don't own the Hi-Res line but IMHO i think the Stature line holds their own.:D

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
I'm another totally satisfied Ascend Acoustics owner. I bought these amazing speakers "sound unheard" and have not regretted it for a second. I figured with so many positive reviews these speakers must be winners (the reviewers were right on the money). In fact, now I'm upgrading my center channel and expect my new CMT-340c speaker next week. With the new center, 4 CBM-170s, and a Hsu VTF-2 sub I'm in hog heaven! :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
DIY speakers are a good thing to buy before listening, and even better if you can audition them. It's a risk, but definitely worth it (just ask the many GR and Adire owners...). You can usually find better details about a custom speaker's sound without listening first, because there's more technical information (and a lot of experienced users) around here. Myself, I have Adire Kit281s and they're, uh, not bad for $450. :)

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Terence, you are the ugly duckling in our AR family of four
.......kidding of course. You, Chad, and I are all Brett's
sons, now all we need is an AR momma and we'll be one big
happy sealed enclosed family. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Reese,

LOL!

What am I, like some enlightened AR Messiah? Leading you
all through the dessert into the oasis of AR Bliss? :D

(Hey I kinda like that...)

But I still think Phil Ittrualde(Sp?) has gotten more fellas
into JBL than I have into AR :)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I wonder why not many people have AR Hi Res or admit to it. Anyways I don't remember if my friend from MN visits this forum but he has the same speakers as I do all the around along with the ARS300 sub and I know he enjoys his set up also.
Yes brett did give me good advice on the speakers.

Alex since you can't really find the AR Hi res I think you should check out what I recommended earlier. 30 days to return if you don't like them.

You lead we will follow, you are the one!
Almost sounds like a line from the Matrix.....he is the one....:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks