1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever bought a set cause of the price?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rodrick, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Rodrick

Rodrick Well-Known Member

I was in Costco and they had a coupon sale on various tvshowsondvd. The regular price they had it at were all $19. With coupon you get $5 off.

I own Friends, Mash, also they had some Raymond seasons, and various others.

I bought 4 seasons of REBA. I asked a lady there who was looking also she said the best deal was to pick up all 4 seasons of REBA. She said Id then have the entire series.

Is this correct? Was Reba only 4 seasons?

This lady bought individually 3 seasons of Sex in the City and some Friends seasons she liked.

2. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Well-Known Member

there was 6 seasons of reba
    only 1 - 4 are out

3. Regulus

Regulus Well-Known Member

William Hughes
    I picked up the first three seasons of Hogan's Heroes this week while running an errand for my Mother. She sent me to Sam's Club to get some Groceries and I noticed they had them on sale for $18.88, so I got them![​IMG]

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Well-Known Member

Pete
    several times... the latest was when I bought the classic pirates series The Buccaneers: The Complete Series (39 Episodes) for only $6.58 on the deepdiscount 20% off sale.

5. nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk Well-Known Member

Yeah got 1st & Ten complete series for about £6 from amazonuk

6. Firebee

Firebee Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I bought the entire ``Buffy'' and 10 seasons of ``M*A*S*H'' last year thanks to Amazon's Fox TV on DVD sale, as well as five seasons of ``The Simpsons''. I also bought all seven seasons of ``Star Trek: TNG'' from a similar sale from Amazon last year, and purchased all four seasons of ``The Dead Zone'' when the set prices went down to $19.99 per. This year, I purchased the entire ``X-Files'' series, all of ``That '70s Show'' released to date (except for S6), and the ``Angel'' series from Amazon's Fox TV on DVD sale. Most definitely, I'll often jump on TV DVD purchases when their prices hit attractive levels. [​IMG]

7. Regulus

William Hughes
    Picked off Season 5 of Miami Vice @ CC Today. It was on sale for $31.00 and I saw it was tagged at $49.99 so I decided I'd better get it to complete the Series! [​IMG]

8. Rodrick

Rodrick Well-Known Member

Wow Reba has 2 more seasons. I am enjoying it so much. The First 4 seasons.

I think I will continue to collect them. I hope they are cheap.

I bought these sets blindly cause it was very inexpensive.

9. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Well-Known Member

You should have gone to Best Buy. Last week they had it so if you picked up 2 season sets at once, it was $50 total.

10. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Well-Known Member

the last season of Reba was only a half-season, but it does in fact have a series finale and everything. Would be interesting to see if Fox packs seasons 5 and 6 together or separately

11. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

I bought Buck Rogers: The Complete Series for $19.95 at Walmart only because of that price and the nostalgic trip of seeing the old show again with adult eyes. I would have NEVER paid more than $20 for this series, but $19.95 is like a regular movie price and I couldn't pass that up. I'm still amazed by how much it's marked down at Walmart. Wasn't its original retail price like $50-$70?

12. Regulus

William Hughes
    Corey3rd, I would have done that except for one thing. They had that same special earlier this year when Seasons 3 & 4 came out! I got the first four Seasons on 'Vice for $100.00. [​IMG] This time I only had season 5 to buy. All in all a great deal![​IMG]

13. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Well-Known Member

I picked up Remington Steele s1 for $5.99. I loved the show, but don't think I'd re-watch it all that often. For $5.99 though, definitely worth watching through at least once and I have a family member or two who will probably borrow it as well.

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

I think I paid $63 when I pre-ordered it from Amazon three years ago. I picked up another copy of it in the DD sale, just to have a spare (I actually still enjoy the show).

Recently I bought season 2 of 24. it was on sale for $18 and in the slim packs. Since I never saw the first season either, of course I had to pick that up too. Normally I owuld have been content to wait on these since I have such a backlog of stuff to watch, but that $2 savings on S2 was just too hard to pass up (I'm penny wise/pound foolish)

15. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Well-Known Member

I had taken advantage of the 3&4 release. This time I was able to hook up with a pal who had missed the first sale so I bought 5 for myself and 3 for him. He bought 4&5.

I've picked up a couple shows because they were part of 2 for 1 deals that I didn't really watch when they first aired: Sledge Hammer and Titus.

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Well-Known Member

I've done this many times, especially on import titles once they hit the 50-60% off (or greater) threshhold on AmazonUK. Just ordered Respectable, Fun at the Funeral Parlour and The Book Group: Series 1.

On the US, side of things, I recently took advantage of the Amazon sale to snag Boston Legal: Season 2, a show I really like, but would never pay full sticker price for. Also, I often wait for DDD sales to snag episodes of Classic Doctor Who or to get sets of other shows that I remember liking from my youth, but haven't seen in awhile or consider a low priority (like I did with Soap, Three's Company and others).

I'll sometimes even buy some shows used if the price is right. Last year, I bought the recent remake of Night Stalker at a local video store, but only because it was $10. I'd never have bought it otherwise. Oh, and bought Boston Legal: Season 1 for $20, to go with my already-ordered Season 2 (odd, that Amazon didn't have that one on sale as well).

Due to markdowns, I never pre-order anything these days. I think I paid $45 for that Buck Rogers set, for instance, when it came out, and almost as much for the Alien Nation set. Now, to see those marked down to $20 each, I know I'll be waiting for a big sale before I buy the Alien Nation: Movies set that's due out this summer. No way am I going to buy this when released when I know I'll probably be able to get it for $20 sometime next year. I also know never to preorder anything released in the UK by Network Video, as it will likely be marked down to half off (or more) within six months to a year...

17. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Well-Known Member

Well, of course! If it's a real bargain, I'd buy a show as a blind buy. And if I don't like it, I can always sell it online!

18. Don Giro

Don Giro Well-Known Member

Don
    Rock-bottom deals were how I got into "Gilmore Girls" and "Smallville." $19.99 for the respective 6-disc sets seemed like a steal whether or not I was actually going to enjoy the respective shows.

19. dancingwater

dancingwater Active Member

Brought Season 5 of Smallville late last year and was about 35.95 but you get a 5 dollar Target gift card as well. Could not pass that up

20. dancingwater

dancingwater Active Member

Oh and a lot of members here are selling unopened box sets of shows for a great price in the software trade section.