What's new

Have you ever been so upset by?.... (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Usually, for first season cancellations, I know they've been cancelled by the time they get to NZ, so I'm prepared for it. But still...
Freaks and Geeks
Undeclared

And definitely Nowhere Man - that was a hell of a cliffhanger.

And also the other great unresolved cliffhanger - the mirror in Twin Peaks. I was watching TP about 10 years after it aired, I knew to expect a cliffhanger, but when I saw it I was so frustrated that I screamed. While Heather Graham's appearance in FWWM provides a smallish amount of explanation (if not resolution) to that cliffhanger, I wish that had been resolved (I still imagine that one day someone will return to TP - so what if 10 years have passed. Maybe that's why Cooper looks so old in his dream in episode 2?)

And a bit OT, but the radio version of Hitchhiker';s Guide To The Galaxy ended on a great cliffhanger...It was Zaphod that ordered the destruction of the Earth...
Unfortunately, that was a plot that was never picked up in the books, so that's another frustrating cliffhanger.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
The show I hated to see cancelled was First Monday on CBS. For some reason I liked the ashow a lot. I liked the debate it started on popular political issues (even if it was a little preachy).

And worst of all, the last episode of the first season left on a cliffhanger of a character getting murdered.....and a big conspiracy building. NOW I WILL NEVER KNOW WHO DID IT! :frowning:

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Now and Again (loved that show) and Profit. Very annoyed, but not enough to do anything other than grumble darkly and several years later post a message on an internet forum. :)

Adam

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I too was very annoyed that "John Doe" was canceled. I really enjoyed the show and was looking forward to the have the story be revealed. Worse, killing it after such a huge cliffhanger!

I was also annoyed by the "Sliders" business. That was getting really interesting and it vanished from Fox. I gather a cable station picked it up but I didn't have cable back then.

"Lois & Clark" is a show that I just don't know what happened. I forget if I stopped watching or if it vanished.

Losing "Strange Luck" about 8 years ago (Fox again, I think) was sad. That was a uniquely fun and quirky show. Just the sort that no one watches, it seems.

What I don't understand is how these interesting shows are killed but dreary derivatives like "Everyone Loves Raymond" last so long!

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
The ending for Nowhere Man was fantastic! They
went out with a bang, so I don't know where they could've gone in the following season.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Don't most of the networks own cable stations? It seems to me that they could build the contracts such that if a show has a small but loyal following but doesn't work out on a network it could continue or finish its run on cable with a smaller budget.

It wouldn't be necessary for sit-coms generally, but any show with a story arc ought to have some protection. Why couldn't Firefly have been able to finish the season on FX, f'instance?

My morning ponderings.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
"Lois and Clark" was a pretty good show right up until they got married (always a bad idea, it brings shows down instantly for some reason), it lost it's original tone and became a really camp show with poor writing and lame villians overnight.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
firefly is too expensive to produce anywhere. Unless the ratings for the show picked up to like double what they were, it wouldn't last on FOX let alone FX.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm so accustomed to shows I like being cancelled quickly that I always expect that if I like a show, it will be cancelled within one season. Karen Sisco's just the latest example, and Firefly last year. Buffy was a freakish exception :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's simple, really - the producers have all sorts of time to figure out how characters are going to work at first - it gets refined between the original idea, pilot presentation, pilot script, actual shooting of the pilot, and the time between the pilot being accepted and the actual production of the series - but when a major change in the set-up is made, it often doesn't have nearly as much energy spent on it.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I alone seem to carry the torch for Odyssey 5. :) Jeremiah is still on, but Odyssey 5 is not. Huh?

And of course, John Doe. In case anyone is reading this that can bring it back.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

While this is true, I just wish they would either not do it or they would save it for the shows last season. I can think of tons of shows ruined by a baby or marrige. Friends (double whammy with that one), Mad About You, Lois and Clark, Will and Grace, and the Cosby Show (the Denise charachter) are just a few. Now I'm sure that there are plenty of people who enjoy these plot developments but to me they just tend to ruin the charachters they affect thereby taking the show down quite a few notches. Mad About you became totally unwatchable and Friends is the same way now. Just my opinion though.

Oh, and Millenium got cancelled way before it's time also. Ditto for Sports Night, one of the best shows I've ever watched on TV. Thank God for my DVD box set.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, as the .sig says, I was annoyed about Farscape. Not the way I would have liked it to have gone out. Luckily, that's getting fixed.

Personally, I was rather disappointed that "Cupid" didn't make the cut. I'm a big fan of Jeremy Piven and I thought the concept was cute.

I was also disappointed that "Probe" also didn't make it. It was nice to see a "detective" show that used science to solve crimes back then. That one was killed by a writer's strike.

"Brisco County Jr" didn't last longer than a season, but at least the storyline wrapped up pretty well. Still, probably Bruce Campbell's best TV role. Disappointed that it didn't last longer.

Jason

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I also miss Cupid, but aside from the good writing, my primary interest there was Paula Marshall. Of course, her track record is horrible, in Ted McGinley territory.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching the unaired episodes of Veritas:The Quest. Wow, those episodes really answered a lot of the questions, but then raised a bunch of new ones. Sad that these shows don't get a chance. I just don't understand ABC. They create a show like Miracles. Then get nervous about it's content and cancel it.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Back in the late 70's a guy actually committed suicide because they canceled his favorite show, Battlestar Galactica.

To answer your question, I was sad when Seinfeld ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks