What's new

Have you bought a 4K set yet? Do you see yourself getting one in 2017? (1 Viewer)

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Yes. In fact we just set it up last week. My old TV was a rear projection Sony LCOS and it was suffering from the green blob. It also dominated the living room. With the new TV (LG 65EF9500), we were able to mount it on an articulating arm over the fire place, getting back a workable living room and making my wife happy, but now sitting much closer to the TV. With the 4K, we are not seeing pixel structure even though sitting closer. Also enjoying the full resolution passive 3D. Anything that comes along next year on the UHD front will just be a bonus.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
DaveF said:
No.

Price isn't the hindrance to me. There's nothing about a new TV for my living room that makes me really want it. And there's no 4k cable, Tivo, or blu-ray so what would I do with it? There's 4k Netflix maybe, but I'm watching older HD shows.
Comcast has an 4k app on Samsung tv's. It's all new network shows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Sam Posten said:

Best Buy is still promoting 4K 3D TV sets. Current flyer has in bold:

Samsung 55 inch:

$1799.99 LED 4K Ultra Smart 3D TV

LG 65 inch:

$2399.99 LED 4K Ultra Smart 3D TV

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Samsung has about 7 different 55" 4k sets. More if you consider new old stock (NOS) 2014 leftovers still on the market.
Flat, curved, edge lit, back lit, I think there's even a FALD 55 but I could be wrong... 3D and no 3D, HDR support and non.

The 9000 is curved 1 step down from top of the line 9500.

Good luck keeping em straight =)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I'll add one bit of very recent personal experience regarding comments about there not being any "real" 4K content available yet.

My recent acquisition of a 4K Samsung has more to do with what is now available in the size I wanted than in it being 4K. I saw 4K as something of a bonus. This was simply the best quality at the largest size I could get. What I didn't count on was what a 4K display with a decent scaler can do with a well mastered 1080p Blu-ray.

If you have not seen Blu-ray on a good 4K display, I doubt you have seen Blu-ray at its best. The difference between the average 1080p display and a good 4K is not small. The Samsung is so good, in fact, I feel comfortable saying I would be very satisfied with this TV and "standard" Blu-ray if UHD Blu-ray never happened. It's that good.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well since my 49 suffered LCD element damage, as of tomorrow, I'll be going 4K two years sooner than I had planned.
Going with Vizio 50" 4K M-Series (2nd gen M-Series).

This will replace the broken 49 which I'll eventually get repaired.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I bought my Samsung 85" 4K in Feb added the Samsung SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit which upgraded it to have HDR. So I'm all set once the UHD players hit. I need to buy a new hard drive so I can download the 4K HDR titles from M-Go until the players arrive. For example you can download Kingsmen 4K HDR right now as well as the last X-Men.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No and no... and I don't foresee going 4K anytime soon.

Most likely I'll wait til 4K becomes as tried-and-true and ubiquitous (and affordable) as 1080p has been in recent years *and* have the need to replace dead displays since I'm very satisfied w/ BD content projected at 100-120" right now (and don't foresee going any bigger than that). Maybe if I'm a serious gamer (and play much closer for the immersion), I would be more tempted though, but not for movies and such... Also, I echo others regarding buying seriously compromised display tech -- I don't know it has to be OLED for flat panel, but anything LCD or similar will be scrutinized for good reason...

And yeah, I expect the adoption rate for 4K to be slower than 1080p... and I'm perfectly fine w/ that...

_Man_

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
This recent review of the new (curved unfortunately) Panasonic OLED TX-65CZ952B notes:

In brief, Panasonic’s TX65CZ952B produced the best overall picture quality that we have seen on a television. There are still some issues, but we feel that its other strengths are sufficient enough for us not to focus on them for too long.

It's incredibly expensive and still has some issues, but I feel once these are resolved and the price drops - and they produce a flat version - I can see a Panasonic OLED replacing my plasma in 2017 or 2018.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I currently own a UHD TV and as long as income gets better I then play to purchase another UHD TV and a 4K UHD projector!

I am impressed with that LG video and I am impressed with the bendable screen they have been showing off but I still do not see myself spending top $ on Goldstar when there are still issues with power supplies and display panels.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Almost did. My 42" plasma in the bedroom died last week. I was getting ready to replace it, but was frustrated by the lack of HDR equipped 4K sets in that size range (50" and under), so in an act of desperation I took my set into a repair shop where it made a miraculous recovery and somehow resurrected itself. I brought it home and its still plugging away :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Persianimmortal said:
No, for three reasons:

1. I'm still very happy with my 2011 model Panasonic plasma. Vibrant, bright, natural image quality with contrast and black levels that far surpass even the best LCD screens available today.

2. Almost all of the current 4K TVs are LCDs ("LEDs"), and I have absolutely no desire to downgrade from plasma to LCD if I can avoid it. 4K OLED seems quite desirable, but only LG make 4K OLED TVs right now and I swore off any and every LG product ten years ago.

3. There is no real 4K content, and I predict UHD BD will be DOA, so there's no pressing need to upgrade to 4K. Even for gaming, a 4K monitor is problematic as no single GPU can provide decent framerates in the latest games at 4K resolution, and an SLI/CrossFire configuration has numerous issues.

So basically unless my current TV dies, I'm waiting for things to settle in the 4K realm. In all likelihood though, I'll only go 4K if I can afford a decent (non-LG) 4K OLED.

No. What Persianimmortal said. As it stands now most program content doesn’t even take full advantage of what’s available from 1080p, especially TV shows. Do you really see local stations upgrading all their equipment to 4k for their programming when they did that for HD just a few years ago?

I’m hoping my wonderful Pioneer Plasmas hold out until OLED becomes affordable. That appears to be a significant upgrade in display technology, at least.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kyrsten Brad said:
Well since my 49 suffered LCD element damage, as of tomorrow, I'll be going 4K two years sooner than I had planned.
Going with Vizio 50" 4K M-Series (2nd gen M-Series).

This will replace the broken 49 which I'll eventually get repaired.
Well I did just that and so far I'm very pleased with the new UHD 50 at least as far as 1080p goes..

I had planned on getting the Roku 4 for Christmas but thanks to a bonehead move by one family member ( blew $192 of our Christmas funds on crappy service from UPS, long story ), that has to wait a little. Still hope to have it by end of January.

Will wait now for HDR and Dolby Vision to settle in before upgrading our 70" Vizio (to a UHD 80).

Oh and as it turned out , the 49 was not economically feasible to repair. Sad.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Yes, bought in April

I got a 2014 Samsung 85" have added the the upgrade box adding HDR and 10bit

bought a Roku 4 to add additional 4K streaming options

preordered the Samsung UHD Player to hold me over until Oppo comes out

Preordered 7 UHD disks

11 UHD downloads including Maze Runner: Scorch Trials in HDR/10bit

So all in lots of content and a huge upgrade from 1080p in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks