What's new

have pulp fiction and jackie brown se's got a dts track?? (1 Viewer)

have pulp fiction and jackie brown se's got a dts track??

just was wondering as i thought i read they did when the anouncements were made?

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the Canadian and UK versions of both will have dts...

Try searching for more details...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
If the U.S. doesn't get DTS tracks, you can bet the Canadian discs won't either.

Alliance rarely ever improves upon the U.S. releases.

In fact, many times they've gone out of their way to make the discs worse for Canadians.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm worried.

According to those websites, the Canadian version will have 3 tracks...English DTS 5.1, English DD 5.1 and French DD 5.1.

From what I can see, the U.S. version only has English DD 5.1.

I'm concerned that with 3 - 5.1 tracks, and with Alliance's track record - the video quality will suffer.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
To be realistic, Pulp Fiction has so little going on in the surrounds most of the time that DD encoding (which allocates extra bits to active channels when others go inactive) is extremely efficient. I would just as soon have the DTS bits allocated to the video on this one. It's certainly not a dealbreaker for me either way.

On a related note, does anyone release more confusing and incomplete specs to retailers and media than Buena Vista home video?

Regards,

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
On a related note, does anyone release more confusing and incomplete specs to retailers and media than Buena Vista home video?
Not sure if I should agree with you or disagree...because nobody releases more confusing and incomplete specs than BV, but that's only in the rare instances when they actually DO release specs at all. Seems like most of the time they can't even do that for catalogue releases. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Well, I currently have the DTS laserdisc of Jackie Brown, and its wonderful! I have no intention of "downgrading" if the DVD does not have this excellent track.

-Lyle J.P.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I was only talking about Pulp Fiction. Jackie Brown has a more active soundtrack. Even if Jackie Brown does have the DTS track, it will likely be a "downgrade" from the laserdisc at half bitrate. The upgrade to anamorphic video might help to mitigate that, though. :)
Regards,

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
I have an ad for the Alliance Pulp Fiction that I cut out of a magazine that video stores get. It states Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital French 5.1. I'll scan it and post it here if anyone wants.
I'd love to see it thanks Jeff...

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Considering BV's track record with press releases, the US versions of JB and PF could end up having DTS tracks. If I recall correctly, both Nightmare Before Christmas CE and The Crow CE had no DTS listed in the press releases, and when the DVD's came out (or advanced reviews) fans were pleasantly surprised.

I won't get my hopes up, but it would be great!

Later

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
I can confirm that the both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown will have a DTS track. A UK retailer has just received their copies of these titles (US versions), and upon having looked at the back cover they confirmed to me that they do indeed carry DTS.

I'd love to see that ad as well, because if it does indeed carry both a French and English soundtrack, it would possibly be subject to bilingual packaging.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the delay in scanning it in. I'll have it posted by Saturday. Of course by then, it will probably not be needed but I'll do it anyway.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks