What's new

Have Gun Will Travel (1 Viewer)

Mitchum22

Grip
Real Name
Bob Mitchum
Hello, all. Great forum.

Love HGWT. As you know, CBS Video did a masterful and deeply respectful job releasing Season 1, 2 and 3. A job which looks to have been rather expensive.

Any word at all on Seasons 4 - 6? One worry I had on first release was the gulf between the care taken and the popularity of the show. I figured: "This is wonderful. But they won't be able to get away with this on Season Two." But they did. And Season Three, also.

Is the project now dead?

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob, hello and welcome to THE forum for TV/DVD threads on the 'net :) You'll like it here, guaranteed. These guys on this forum flat KNOW their subject :emoji_thumbsup: as you'll see here.

A tip on starting a new post, there's an existing Have Gun thread in progress. Here's the link to it

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...un+will+travel

Also, if you're not familiar with TSoD, that's the news site for TV/DVD releases:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/

Along with TSoD, you''ve got the 2 best 'net sites for this subject.

About HGWT, maybe someone here knows some "scoop" about this one, but it's anyone's guess on it continuing. The TV/DVD market is a challenge as a collector but there's nothing like reading about your "Holy Grail" release announcement at TSoD or HTF :)

I agree, HGWT is a great series and a good DVD series so far.

Mitchum22

Grip
Real Name
Bob Mitchum
What a dope. I should have done an HGWT search before posting. :crazy:

And thank you. "Out of the Past" is the best American movie of the 1940s, isn't it?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

And thank you very much, Jeff. This does seem like the place.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I too am anxiously awaiting the release of the rest of HGWT on DVD. However, until then I'm hanging on to my Columbia House VHS tapes!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I'd like to thank you for putting those speakers in the L.A. County Jail!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
No, it isn't...horrible film. I don't go for the "noir" stuff.

The best movie from the 1940s isn't an American one, but rather British:
"A Matter of Life & Death" (a.k.a. "Stairway to Heaven") with David Niven.
You can't go wrong with Powell and Pressberger. :emoji_thumbsup:

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I personally missed having the show opening 'teaser' lines of S:1 and S:2.
The longer we wait for S:4, the less likely it will ever see DVD. :frowning:

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Seems like some episodes had Paladin voice overs, others didn't.

As it has been over 18 months now since the release of S2, many of us here fear that HGWT is DOA. Although fans waited well over 2 years between the release of box set 2 and 3 for "The Rifleman", I believe the circumstances were different.

Doug Abbott

Agent
Why has Paramount not released any more of the season sets of this series. The show has sold very well and is very popular. All six seasons have already been restored by Columbia House, so why not release the final 3 seasons. They could release seasons 4, 5 & 6 as a box set and I know of hundreds of fans who would buy the set. I run a tv western site about television westerns and get hundreds of emails a month wondering where the other 3 seasons are.

Doug Abbott

Agent
Why has Paramount not released any more of the season sets of this series. The show has sold very well and is very popular. All six seasons have already been restored by Columbia House, so why not release the final 3 seasons. They could release seasons 4, 5 & 6 as a box set and I know of hundreds of fans who would buy the set. I run a tv western site about television westerns and get hundreds of emails a month wondering where the other 3 seasons are.

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.

Doug--

I posted something about this in the "Checkmate" thread...I had a chat with Martin Grams, Jr. (the author of THE HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL COMPANION) a few weeks back and asked him if he knew anything re: the status of future season releases. He told me that according to the information he received Paramount was giving up on the show.

I was pretty bummed to hear about this, especially in light of the fact that Martin originally told me that Paramount was full-speed-ahead committed to all six seasons. But apparently the sales are too sluggish for the 'Mount. He did say that there was a slight chance (albeit very remote) that they might pick up where they left off...but he wasn't going to cross his fingers any time soon.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt

Doug, if you haven't already done so why not drop a line to Paramount underscoring this very fact? Can't possibly hurt.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
From here on out, I'm no longer gonna buy any sets until after all the seasons are released. I have a list with 18 shows that have releases with seasons remaining. Out of those 18, it appears 6 are abandoned. Long running shows like Hawaii Five-O, while hugely popular, what are the chances of us getting all 12 seasons? I'm just no longer gonna take that chance. The studios have to realize at some point that when fans get let down, they'll stop spending their money.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That's not the solution, Duane, and Paramount's decision was probably made because sales for Season 3 weren't that great. Have Gun Will Travel is a self-contained kind of series that can be viewed in any order regardless of season. Although I have the first 2 years, the only reason I still haven't purchased the 3rd season yet is to save money and because more important / more modern series have gotten my attention first, but I will eventually. :)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Just curious but does anyone know how many of the 225 episodes were released by Columbia House on VHS? The reason I ask is that I know someone who probably has all the tapes and I'll just borrow the last 3 seasons and transfer them myself if they all came out.

I don't know if this is relevant or not but for many years, the last 2 and a half seasons of the show were not syndicated due to a legal issue. Whether or not that was ever settled I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks