What's new

have $2500 credit at Best Buy, please help me pick a tv!! (1 Viewer)

Ray Nist

Agent
I originally bought a KP61HS10 tv there 3 years ago w/extended warranty. The TV bit the dust 2 months ago and BB is giving me full credit ($2500) to buy another TV. I want a large rear porjection type tv to replace this. There are not that many options, here they are:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product

I looked on audioreview.com and did not see any of these listed. Please help me not make a mistake this time! Obviously I can only get a tv from Best Buy.

Thanks
Ray Nist

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Ray,
I've had the Sony KP-57WS510 since January, and it has been wonderful. I would expect the 65" to be the same. The magazine "The Perfect Vision" rated the Sony as an editors best buy in the July/August issue.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Ray Nist

Agent
Thanks Al.

Ok, I just found out that I will be getting $2925 in credit.

Remember that I can only get a TV from Best Buy, so my choices are pretty limited. Here is another possible option:

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...00321,00.html?

Best Buy has this one for $3299, not sure about RCA or DLP's though.

I do want the biggest TV I can get, but I also want good PQ and reliability. I am not sure what happens to the other $400 if I buy one of the $2499 sets, hopefully I can use this for accessories or another warranty.

--Ray

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Try to get in on one of those 10% off coupons and use their reward zones card thing. I've heard that you can get competitive prices after that or go get a better pricematch from Sears and use it there. You are definitely in the category to be looking at LCD RPTV's if that's what you want. I's also look at the new Sony and Mitsubishi RPTV's there.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Ray,
With that increase I would look into a LCD-RPTV. And, although I typically am a Sony TV fan, I must say that the Hitachi 50V500A (or 60V500A) looks better than the Sony GWIII (or the Panasonic too).
Do a thread search on the various technologies and brands, then go test them out. Remember though, at Best Buy (and other mass merchants)the Contrast, Brightness, and Tint will likely be out of whack rendering A/B testing of different sets almost useless.

Let us know how you make out.

Al. Wise

Ray Nist

Agent
Actually, I got $2925 credit PLUS an additional 7% for the taxes.

I bought the Mitsubisi WS-65315 for $2499

The Extended warranty for $250

They gave me a Gift Card for the Rest ($200).

There was also a special running this week so I will get another $200 gift card by mail.

--Ray

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I second the vote for the Sony. It came out very well on some side-by-side comparisons last November and made my 'short-list' of televisions to look at.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ray:

Sounds like you made a great choice. I would run with it for awhile and have it calibrated at some point. Calibration makes all the difference in the world for the overall look of the picture on an RPTV.

Parker

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
Why not look into that interesting looking toshiba projector:D ...just a thought

Jay

Ray Nist

Agent
Hi Parker,

Do you mean a professional calibration or doing the convergence myself and setup with Avia or similar?

Thanks
Ray Nist

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would start with the AVIA, etc. but definitely go with a professional calibration a few months down the road. It will make all the difference in the world with your picture. If you are ever in the market give one of our mods Gregg Loewen an email and set something up.

Parker

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ray,
You can do alot of it yourself but there are some things that a professional can do that you can't(without alot of trouble).

Hometheaterspot has a tweaks section(you must pay for it), that is worth it they say. I've got a Mits as well and after toying with Avia and doing the convergence myself manually(both the 9 pt and the 56 pt), I'm satisfied for now. I do want Gregg or someone from Lionav to finish the job at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks