What's new

Have $1600 to spend on receiver or seperates...??? Bang for the buck ? (1 Viewer)

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
I live in an area where I don't have the opportunity to demo much. Have only checked out a Denon 3803. I started off researching the Pioneer Elites 45 and 47, and then found this forum where I've received some bad headaches and eyestrain researching others;) Now I'm looking hard at the Outlaw 950/7100 but am wondering if, in the price range, there's a receiver that might best suit my needs. I'm about 70% ht, 30% music.

Any ideas, comments would be greatly appreciated. I've hopefully narrowed my speaker choice down to one but am stuck once again.

Thanks

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Here is another idea if you have a "receiver budget" but a separates craving.

Rotel RsX 1055 5 X75 W receiver
Rotel RB 1070 2 X 130 W amp.
Should be able to get it for around $1700-1800 US?

The RSX is 98% the same as the RSP 1066 processor with amps built in and is less expensive.

You could reasign the channels in the RSX to the rear and let the 1070 drive the fronts and for music. You would have a kick BUTT music system and a much nicer surround system than many receivers. Plus down the road you could add a multi channel Rotel amp and use the RSX strictly as a pre pro.

I live in Canada and so I considered the Outlaw but after shipping and duty exchange etc. the Rotel path was actually less expensive. My RSX 1055 will be here soon and then I will start saving for the 1070. Just something to think about.

Spencer J

Grip
Given a choice between a $1600 receiver and $1600 separates, you're almost always better off with the separates, particularly when you're thinking about that Outlaw combo.

If you did pull the trigger on the Outlaw gear, you've always got the 30-day return window.

I added a 7100 to my receiver, and the results continue to blow me away. Here's a recent 7100 review:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-6-2003.html

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Yes I cannot imagine spending that much money and not getting seperates. It seems to me that the recievers priced above $1000 or so are not such good values.

Mark

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rick:

The best bang for the buck out there right now is the Outlaw Audio 950/7100 combo for $1598. They also have a 30 day return policy so you can return it if you aren't happy with it.

Parker

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would have to say that overall the best value is the Outlaw combo, now that the 950 has gone down to $799. A very good processor and a very good amp for less than $1600 and a full warranty is impossible to beat right now. However, if you are not looking to upgrade the processor for some time (3-4 years), then I would suggest the Rotel combo. I myself think that the Rotel (either the 1066 or the 1055, since they use the same basic processor) is a better overall processor than the Outlaw, as I like the sound of the Rotel better (A little more open and a little less "bright") and I have no benefit from the additional features of the Outlaw. But if you are probably going to uprade soon, the outboard Outlaw amp is a good thing to have lying around, whereas the Rotel has 5 of its 7 amp channels tied to the processor within the receiver's chassis, so these are almost like lost amp channels.

Also, the Rotel comes in Silver:D :D :D ;)

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
how about adcom advertise in here also?

they also have a good price on the 125W amp.

if you were to compare adcom and outlaw, at the same wattage or within 25W. which one is better?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chun:

Better is a subjective term. Which one sounds better is a personal thing. I don't think that you could go wrong with either amp by Adcom or Outlaw. They both make a great amp. The only way to tell which one is better is to listen to each one and then make a personal decision on which one you like better.

Parker

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Problem with Rotel for me is the same I have with Paradigm speakers. Who's going to ship? I like my warranties so second hand is out. The only Rotel "dealer" in northwest Montana is a guy who has an account but doesn't have a store. He does custom install only. He has to special order and charge retail ++ for the product. I'm really tired of hearing the spiel from the likes of Paradigm and Rotel on how they provide any level of customer service but yet won't provide product to those out of their sales range. The Rotel dealer here locally told me today they've sold a whopping two 1066's since they've been in business. They stock zero product.:angry:

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I personally find Chungs post informative, with one (two) slightly differing (only) personal opinions.

One I’m not into Silver at the moment. Every since I ordered and returned Sony STB HD200 (only in silver) which messed up my all black (stage of personal development). I WANT black currently. My rational being all black moves the eye to center stage of the HT (the display).

And two I do not NOT find the Outlaw bright. (and I hate bright) in the sense that’s its often used in descriptive AV terminology. I chose Vienna Acoustics speakers for my mains and center (mellow, not bright) if that tells you my leanings.

However while I was running satellite sized Def Tech’s (very BRIGHT up against the VA's) adding the Outlaw 950/770 into the mix, made my Def Tech’s ‘bright’ which I had already grown weary of….. much More palatable while I continued to use them. The Outlaw opened them up.

I find the Outlaw just transparent. Use the speakers you buy ….to color your sound.

Hope I don’t ‘sound’ flippant? Long day!
All of us are at one point on the reply scale just voicing personal prefences. With some meat in the spec comparion categorys.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Mary on both the Def Tech's being bright,and the Outlaw being neutral[at least the 950 I have Parasound amps].
I would also recommend the Outlaw combo, naturally.:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw combo is probably your best bet. And down the road if you want to upgrade your processor or if new formats come out or digital hi-rez connections or whatever, you will only replace your preamp. That will save you money in the long run. Recently I had a glitch in my pre/pro, and decided to upgrade to something with better switching, forward compatability to 6/7.1 since I'm 5.1 only, and DPL-II instead of getting it fixed.* I got the Outlaw 950 for the old family discount price of $850 and just kept my old amplifier (a powerhouse Sherwood Newcastle AV-P9080). Once you've gotten into separates, upgrading becomes much easier.

Remember to buy the cables to connect the prepro to the amp.

Another thing to consider if you're not in a hurry is the upcoming pre/pro - Amplifier combo from Sherwood Newcastle. I'm not sure what the release date will be but I think it may be this fall.

* Turns out I should have gotten it fixed instead. - It was just a couple of blown fuses! Entirely my fault, blown by me in a botched reset attempt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks