What's new

Has there ever been a perfect, uncontested DVD? (1 Viewer)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings - Extended Edition
Fight Club
Se7en
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - Ultimate Gift Set

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I think Highlander is perfectly uncontested- the worst DVD in existence. I got it for a penny along with another disc and still fell ripped off.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My concept of a perfect DVD: I love the film, it's well-presented, and some thought/consideration/care went into the creation of the disc. I have to feel as though the folks that made the DVD have a real passion for the film. I don't run the disc through a checklist of features; I'm unsophisticated in that sense.

My vote: the Three Colors boxed set. Exactly what I wanted. :)

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
So you probably haven't indulged in the glory of FOTR:EE, right? Hell, I thought the film was enhanced by the added footage. 1st, it was seamless, IE, I hardly said to myself while watching it the 1st time thru "Hey, that wasn't there before, how annoying!" & also because it helped flesh out many incomplete scenes.

My votes would incl the above, Fight Club & Se7en, both of which were groundbreaking for the format. They truly had the fans in mind when they built 'em!

A few that haven't been mentioned yet (or maybe I'm blind...):

Spartacus Crit Ed - Very good! Transfer is great & the extras are phenomenal.

A Bug's Life CE - The transfer was BETTER than in theatres.

...plus, one of the prizes of my collection:

Re-Animator, Millennium Ed - One of the funniest films of the 80s!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
about Rocky Horror two disc set...its OOP. Only a single disc now, which is a shame. The two discer is a prize.

I would still hold true to LOTR EE for best DVD ever. Other than that, Fight Club and Seven Platinum. All of these are not only great movies, but have some of the best AV quality of any film out on the format, and the extras are meaningful instead of self congratulatory fluff like most DVDs nowadays

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Sean, the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW 2 disc is
a very nice DVD. The picture quality really surprised me
and the interviews on the second disc are great. The
Meat Loaf interview alone is worth the price of the disc.

:D

Blu

Screenwriter
I can't believe that Black Hawk Down SE doesn't get anymore love than this. It is a amazing set and is at least equal to superior than many of the sets mentioned already.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
What about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? The Criterion Collection of course...

Great (great!) movie, fantastic extras, Fantastic picture quality, DTS, wonderful commentaries (even one from The Doctor himself!), wonderful extras...I couldn't ask for a better treatment of this piece.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^^^ Both the DD and DTS are flawed in Fear and Loathing the CC. All the Foley effects are missing from the center surround channel. It's quite awkward, and very sad.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
It may not be up for the perfect DVD, but Stargate Ultimate Edition has the most besutiful transfer I have ever seen, plus it has both the theatrical and director's cut.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that Black Hawk Down SE doesn't get anymore love than this. It is a amazing set and is at least equal to superior than many of the sets mentioned already.
In my opinion the Black Hawk Down SE is the best DVD ever made, but is not perfect. The packaging and cover art were mediocre and the teaser trailer was not included (to be fair the lack of the teaser was a rights issue). Some may complain about the lack of DTS, but that doesn't bother me that much since the DD track is excellent.

The Pearl Harbor Vista Series set comes close, but the packaging is awful. The discs have little protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks