What's new

Has there ever been a perfect, uncontested DVD? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The Final Countdown from Pacific Family Entertainment. ;)

But seriously, LOTR:Fellowship EE

DannyS

Second Unit
Ok...sure the FOTR EE is good and all...but E.T. The Ultimate Gift Set is the perfect DVD...both versions of the film...DTS...a third disc...the score on CD...and hardcover book...certificate of authenticity...and a awesome case...and its a classic film...what more could you want...
Yup. It sits on my shelf and gives me a warm glow.

And se7en and fight club and LOTR EE LTD lovely

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
FOTR:EE is also missing the originally-promised isolated music and effects track, which I would have gladly swapped for one of the duplicative 5.1 tracks. The trailers are on the TE, as is the theatrical cut. If you treat it as a 6-disc set, everything else is peachy.

That said, it's still the best DVD set ever issued IMHO.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
To each their own...LOTR has postively *reference* setting DTS audio...and it does offer an improvement in most systems over the 5.1 DD soundtrack.

The music-only tracks can be obtained by the extended CD soundtrack that is available.

Then again...I guess this just points out that even *this* DVD release isn't without debate!

dave :D

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Episode II is close as well, but most will complain about no DTS! ANd it does include the theatrical cut, the DLP version of it. SO technically, it was correct.
No, it doesn't. Yes, it includes the alternate shot of the mechanical arm at the end which was in the DLP version. But Anakin's confession scene is extended which butchers the score.

There are other minor changes as well such as Padme saying "uh-huh" instead of "yes" when the clonetrooper asks her if she's alright and more visible sparks when Jango's jetpack gets trampled over.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
To me a perfect DVD has to have no DTS, and no French (et cetera) dub tracks, and all the saved bits are used to increase the picture quality. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The criteria for a perfect DVD are more guidelines than rules. ;)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Since we are human there is no such thing. Although I agree with the no DTS thing. A completely perfect DVD would have DTS sound, no question.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
To me a perfect DVD has to have no DTS, and no French (et cetera) dub tracks, and all the saved bits are used to increast the picture quality.
for me, a perfect DVD has perfect picture *and* sound...and DTS (typically) sounds better than 448 DD in my system.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Before I got my projector, I would have said Contact, but damn I wish it was a 2 disc set instead...the transfer quality is lacking on a big screen!

The extras are nearly perfect though.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm going with Magnolia.

Other than the film being a masterpiece, the DVD is incredible.

The transfer is perfect, and so is the sound. No DTS? Doesn't make a difference.

The lack of a commentary track is an advantage since the film shouldn't be explained. There isn't a huge amount of extras (again, best not to explain the film) but it's a decent amount and they are excellent.

The Magnolia Diary is one of the best extras I've seen on DVD so far.

The packaging is elegant and simply beautiful.

To me "perfect" doesn't mean "everything and the kitchen sink", it means the DVD is created with the highest level of quality with respect to the actual film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks