What's new

Has Paramount abandoned p;lans to release ELEPHANT MAN and SUNSET BLVD. on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I wish Paramount woulkd start digging deeper into thier Classic Titles for Blu ray. To Catch a Thief, Sunset Boulevard, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and 70's titles like Days of Heaven, Marathon Man and Heaven Can Wait

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by John Hodson

I'd expect Days of Heaven from Criterion?
If Paramount were smart they would've got the rights to use Criterion's HD transfer for their own Blu-ray.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I'd expect Days of Heaven from Criterion, but I wouldn't complain if Paramount beat them to it. (Having The New World on Blu in September is a great start, but I'd love to see all of Malick's work on Blu. Badlands was an early DVD title, I'm bummed it hasn't come out yet. And there has to be interest in The Thin Red Line. It never had a Special Edition DVD and it's a very important film.)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Elijah Sullivan

Paramount would make a lot of people happy with Blu releases of Once Upon a Time in the West, The Elephant Man, Sunset Blvd., Chinatown and Apocalypse Now. They could pretty much take the rest of the year off after that. I'd probably buy all of them if it didn't break the bank...
If done right by Paramount (unlike the Star Trek 1-6 films set) this would be a very impressive run of releases...

I just watched Sunset Blvd on DVD. Great one.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
The Elephant Man is currently available from Studio canal in the UK. It's coded for regions A-B, so it will play on US Blu-ray players. It's received pretty good reviews and has a plethora of bonus material.

I would be surprised if Paramount topped the Studio Canal package.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
I just got a brand new book of interviews with David Lynch and in one dated 2004, I think, during the interview they go into David's studio where a technician is working on a sound remaster of 'The Elephant Man', so there must be some plan to re-release it. I'm guessing that when he does have an opportunity to be involved in restoring or remastering his films, he just fusses over them forever. That certainly was the case with Eraserhead.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
That was probably Lynch working with John Neff, and The Elephant Man did get a new mix and HD transfer around that time. It's excellent and it's up to Paramount to just release it on Blu, untampered with.

Eraserhead did take a while, but the results were also excellent (for 2001-2002). This one would probably need a new HD transfer and digital cleanup.

Originally Posted by Holer

I just got a brand new book of interviews with David Lynch and in one dated 2004, I think, during the interview they go into David's studio where a technician is working on a sound remaster of 'The Elephant Man', so there must be some plan to re-release it. I'm guessing that when he does have an opportunity to be involved in restoring or remastering his films, he just fusses over them forever. That certainly was the case with Eraserhead.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
So what, Paramount's version of The Elephant Man will be the remastered version? If so, I'm holding out for that one when it eventually comes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

I just watched Sunset Blvd on DVD. Great one.
I watched it the other night and it upconverts beautifully on my PS3. A Blu-Ray, if done right, should be stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks