What's new

Has HD slowed your DVD buying?? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As a movie lover, not a techno freak, it's ALL about the movie for me. Of course, I'd like the best possible representation but if I want to watch and enjoy, say, On The Waterfront, I don't care if it's VHS, Beta, Laser Disc, RCA CED disc, DVD or whatever so to answer your question, a resounding no! I have not cut down my DVD buying.

What good are modern technical innovations when watching bad movies like Armageddon or Gladiator (no offense to fans of those films)? High definition and DTS sound aren't going to make them any better films and how much better will high definition and DTS sound make Stagecoach or Double Indemnity?

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Some of the titles coming out now may never make it to a new format. If it didn't sell that great on DVD the studios sure won't spend anymore more on it to re-release it on HD-DVD.
If I see something I want now I buy it. If I really love that movie then it will be no big deal to upgrade later on when it comes out on HD-DVD.

Later,
Jim

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

That's what I was thinking.

By the time a hidef DVD format is available, it'll be expensive - but even then, the number of titles available in the format will be small.

To make matters worse (for me), I'm not much for mainstream films. In order to sell the format, I'm sure mainstream films will be used as bait. It's taken a long time to get foreign and independant films out on DVD - and no doubt I'll have to wait for a while until it's available in the hi-def format.

As much as I would love to take the plunge as soon as it's available - there's no point if there aren't any movies I like.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
3 things have slowed my buying habits lately.

1) I lost my job. But even if I hadn't:

2) Netflix has had an impact, definitely, this combined with:

3) There are just fewer "must-have" releases lately.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Only a lack of money will curb my DVD buying. HD doesn't exactly blow my socks off to be honest. It's cool, but I can't imagine waiting several years down the road for a movie I want now just to avoid double-dipping. I don't even own an HD tv for goodness sake.

At one time I had a couple of hundred VHS tapes and a few dozen LD movies. Many of which I have bought again on DVD. So it's not a big concern with me. However, I doubt that I'll double-dip on many of my current DVDs unless they add more special features or they restore the film. After all, a film defect in HD is still a film defect. And DVD is a medium that satisfies me visually. So I'm not really all that amped for the next home video medium.

Of course if I have a choice between HD-DVD and regular DVD I'll buy the HD if the price is similar. And I will of course upgrade the DVDs that I think would benefit from the higher resolution. But overall, I'm happy with DVD and would have no problem buying them up until they stop making them.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I dont think I have even got into movies on DVD all that much. I mostly buy Television shows, non Hollywood films, Anime, and silent movies on DVD. I have a lot of Hollywood made movies on 16/35mm, LaserDisc, D-Theater, and just recorded on D-VHS from HDTV. So to answer your question, I think I just decided not to fully get into DVD to begin with and having HD did affect me. Why would I buy a recent Tv show on DVD when I can record it off TV in higher res?

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I'm one of those people who cares more about the sound quality then video quality. My ears are my influence on buying DVD's more than what I see (high quality DTS track you said? I'M BUYING! :D)
Not that video quality doesn't matter to me at all or something, quite the contrary, it matters when there are things on the screen that are far to obvious (example: excessive grain, high video noise, multiple artifacts, etc.), but I won't pick on little things.

So no, HDTV or future HD DVD's have not deterred me from buying DVD's. I LOVE DVD's!!!!!!!!! :D

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm sort of new to this particular thread, but one thing caught my eye:

I don't know if it's really a real standard yet (Microsoft thinks it is,) but WM9-HD isn't too bad.

And it isn't too terribly expensive, either.

Option 1 (Available now) a reasonably nippy XP box, playing back standard format DVDs (that is, a standard DVD-ROM; not the MPEG-II disc we're all collecting now.)

Option 2 (Available this summer or so,) Kiss Technology's DP-600 player, estimated MSRP US$500, will play back said WM9-HD discs.

Now, two weeks ago in Vegas, I saw Microsoft pimping WM9-HD, and they were running it off of hard disk and the Kiss Tech player. It wasn't standard HD, in that it was 1280x720x24p (not 60p) but since they were showing 24p source, it was quite good. Compressed to a stream rate of about 8megabits/second.

I saw Mr. Joe Kane there, too. He was showing off WM9-HD material against some D-VHS material, all on 'his' projector he helped design with... (drawing a blank here, was it Samsung?)

Material looked okay; some of the differences he was hyping weren't as great as he made them out to be, but I thought it'd do quite well for home theater.

Just not 'his' projector. Single chip DLP with some of the worst rainbows I've seen since 1997.

Anyway, Step into Liquid and Explorers currently available come with disc-2 being a WM9-HD repeat of the program. There are some others, too. Or download some sample stuff from Microsoft's WM site.

(Note: I'm not actually pimping for Microsoft. What I saw was, in my opinion, a great way of getting HD material out quickly. As technologies improve - say, Blu-Ray, and bitrates can increase, then we start seeing the 1920x1080x24p and the 1280x720x60p material coming out... but for my day job, it means HD - NOW.)

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Brian-W

Screenwriter
It has slowed my purchases, primarily if a movie/show airs in HD prior to being released on DVD.

Case in point - Loverboy aired last year on HBO-HD, I recorded it to a D-VHS deck. Sony finally (I think earlier) this year released it on DVD. But given the price (I think a $20+ title) I skipped it.

I don't always, but depends on the subject matter.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
i watched the towering inferno on HDNET movies and then watched master and commander DVD right after and i could barely stand the PQ of master and commander

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
NTSC DVD is a transitional format, and we should all know this by now - but I'm still thankful for some outstanding DVD sets. My buying is down only because I've started to run out of classic and modern titles that I want to own.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
My buying is way down compared to the wild and crazy shopping sprees I would partake in around the first three years of the DVD format's life.

However, I have bought and probably will buy a few of the Windows HD titles like the IMAX films. Mainly because of the curiosity and disc cheapness factor, and because I have HD on neither satellite nor OTA yet, nor an HDTV set (I want to get a projector). At least for a time I can view them on a PC.

All I can say is that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray had better not disappoint.

Dan

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Whoa, a flashback to the transition between LD and DVD. I remember saying that exact thin about my LD collection, which has since been done away with...

Bhavesh

Stunt Coordinator
Well, If some guys think 200 DVDs is a small collection, then mine is microscopic:
Babylon 5 seasons 1-5 [plus The Gathering/In the Beginning]
LOTR-extended editions

Thoughts about upcoming HD-DVD have definitely stopped me from buying the Indy and Star Wars movies, etc. LoTR I just have to get, I don't mind getting it again later and B5 is barely good enough for DVD let alone HD-DVD. And I've got a 3 year old Sony 25'' TV!I'll just rent dvds for now.

I guess its silly to put off future purchases, when HD-DVD hits are we going to be holding out for 4k scanned medium?

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I got tired of buying DVD's only to watch the same film again in much higher quality on the various HD channels a few months later. In terms of building a library, yes, I'll continue on only with HD content from here on out (with maybe a few exceptions along the way).

Considering no HDTV's or Projectors can even do the full HDTV resolution natively yet, HDTV quality should be the gold standard for many years to come.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The thing that I like hearing about the next format is the size available on a disc.

Many tv seasons for example will be able to fit on only one or two discs if they choose.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Nope, I'm buying as I always have. I replaced most of my laserdiscs with the DVD and I will do the same for HD-DVD when the time comes.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Netfix is the biggest contributor to the reduction in the amount of DVDs I buy. I still buy two or three titles per month, but that's a big step down from 10-12. We generally go through two rentals per week from Netflix, really working our $21/month membership fee.

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
It hasn't effected my DVD purchasing at all. It will be awhile before I even update to HDTV anyway.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My catalogue wants are down to nothing really... Millennium Season sets, Batman The Animated Series are pretty much the last of it.

So most of my purchases are for newer titles.

I only have 9 titles on my Must Buy list from now to August and 3 of those are double dips (Good,Bad&Ugly,Enter The Dragon,etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks