1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Has DVDFile.com been Hi-Jacked?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Simpson, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Well-Known Member

...or have I? DVDFile is normally among the sites that fire up as I launch Firefox, but tonight that tab is taking me somewhere decidely different. Not that I'm opposed to this sort of thing, it's just that I prefer to dial in smut at my own leisure. By the way, Internet Explorer was also unable to locate DVDFile, and took me to the same salacious site. My anti-virus software is up to date, and SpyBot and Ad-Aware were run as recently as two days ago. Anyone else having a problem? Cheers.

DS.

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Well-Known Member

Joe Kauffman
    The site may have been hacked. there is now a page with the message "Temporarly Down sorry about that."

3. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding, Joe. I'm now getting the same message. Guess it wasn't me, then. Cheers.

DS.

4. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Well-Known Member

I believe they're updating the site.

Frankly, DVDFile.com has sort of lost its purpose since Peter left. Actually one might even argue that it jumped when Cliff S. quit doing reviews.

My favorite bits of DVDFile.com were the cutting sarcasm toward the studios and whomever DVDFile thought wasn't intellectually up to par.

Brian G.

5. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Well-Known Member

The secret to reading DVDFile reviews:

1) Click on the review you wish to read
    2) Check the reviewer's name
    3) If the name is "Mike Resitano", immediately close your browser and pretend the last 30 seconds never happened.

[​IMG]

6. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved their in-depth look at the making of certain DVDs. As part of the new initiative, they've dropped the old material.

7. Bernhard

Bernhard Well-Known Member

I really miss Pete Bracke's reviews.. his humour was right down my alley and I usually agreed with his opinion on films. [​IMG]

8. Kain_C

Kain_C Well-Known Member

Yeah, that site was once part of my regular morning rotation. Peter actually contacted me when I posted here once that I was having trouble logging onto his site. That impressed me.

I haven't been to their site in quite some time.

What is Peter up to these days?

9. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Glenn
    It's not as comprehensive as it once was, but I've appreciated Dan Ramer's articles keeping on top of the Blu-ray/HD DVD issues (no HD resolution over analog, copy protection, etc.)

10. FrancisP

FrancisP Well-Known Member

I have also enjoyed Dan Ramer's columns about hi-def. He is
    asking the questions that need to be asked and nobody is asking. I thought his analysis of the studios' supposed losses to piracy was absolutely on target. I hope he keeps up the good work.

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

Dvd file? Geez, that kind of rings a bell somewhere in the back of my head. Along with Ken Crane's and other dvd related sites that used to be good, and faded away into meaninglessness a long time ago. The big problem with DVD file was that when it underwent changes, they didn't tell anybody for the longest time, and just left people hanging. Very unprofessional transition to whatever kind of site they are now. [​IMG]

12. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Well-Known Member

Paul McElligott
    I used to be part of the forum staff (actually, I think I still am) but I haven't been to the site in months. Just nothing to see there. Move along.

13. RickER

RickER Well-Known Member

Rick
    I stopped going to that site months ago myself. Now its just the Bits, and DVD Talk for me. And of course the HTF.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

There are DVD sites other than the HTF?! [​IMG]

[​IMG]