1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

has anything happened whilst i've been going cold turkey?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by andrew markworthy, Jan 8, 2007.

1. andrew markworthy

I've deliberately stayed away from HTF for the last month or so while I went cold turkey (yes, I know you've all missed me). Mid-December we decided to buy a hand-reared African grey parrot. To pay for it on top of a couple of big auto repair bills, I decided I'd renounce DVD buying for the next few months. This also involved avoiding all my old junky haunts (including HTF) while I got used to not buying the shiny discs.

Actually, it's not been too bad. I hadn't realised how many DVDs I'd bought and not watched, so a moratorium on spending until I catch up with the 'back catalogue' is probably no bad thing anyway. Plus, the parrot has kept me busy. [​IMG]

I'm now daring to return to HTF, but only to the After Hours, TV and music sections.

So what's been happening?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I don't know about you but I've put off buying DVDs ever since the times of the early internet e-commerce when Amazon was pretty much giving away DVDs for $3-$5...or buy.com.

I borrow my DVDs from my local library when I know I have the time to watch them...

Jay

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"This also involved avoiding all my old junky haunts (including HTF)"

Wow, that's rude:)

I've found that if I wait a couple of weeks after a new release I tend to get over the "must buy" problems I run into most weeks

B

4. andrew markworthy

Here in the sunny UK things are different and prices are just a little higher (the cheapest DVDs are at least 15 dollars, and typically a lot more, especially for new releases). Actually, the exercise is proving to be a salutory one. I hadn't realised how much I was watching movies that I didn't really care for just because I could get them on DVD. Similarly, I didn't realise how strong the 'mustbuyitis' had got me.

Please, this isn't a veiled criticism of anyone else's buying habits. Just mine. [​IMG]

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I hear ya buddy. I actually have a spot on my shelf just for stuff I bought but haven't watched yet. And I won't even mention how many I have that I watched once and pushed aside. That's why I joined Netflix. I can preview them first and only buy the ones I really like. Unfortunately, I seem to have the same problem on the hardware side.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How do you plan on cooking the parrot?

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  8. andrew markworthy

When we went into the pet store, I told the assistant that I was looking for an alternative to turkey for Christmas dinner and asked if there was there anything they could recommend, whilst staring pointedly at the parrot's cage. Fortunately, they know me in there and got the joke.

9. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Not much has happened while you were gone Andrew.

It is nice that the high-def format war is over since Radio Shack announced it’s Blu-Ray/HD DVD Dual Format Toaster Oven (TOS-80) with built in home server, wireless interface & HD satellite dish mounted on top for $199.95. Other than that, there’s really no news.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Pfft, where have you been, Jay? Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are dead, Super HD Disc with 15.4 surround and 4320p resolution was released a week ago. Unfortunately, I'm typing this from my local library, as my four SVS PB12-Ultra/2 subs caused my house to collapse and I'm living out of a hotel for now.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Been away as well, just slowing easing back into things. I did stumble upon this thread, whose premise made me wanna run back out screaming in horror (and I trust you too Andrew).

--
    H

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Congratulations on the new addition! Greys are such odd and amazing creatures!

13. andrew markworthy

Yes, but all you can get to play on it is Mission: Impossible.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

ooOooOo... an African Grey! Beautiful plumage! [​IMG]

Seriously... I'm jealous. Always wanted a nice parrot. The African Grey is high on my "I wish" list. Congrats!

As for whats new... dunno. I haven't been around much. Too busy studying the fascinacting interactions of silica and salsa. [​IMG]

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Well, some English guy posted a message and offended us by calling this forum 'junk'. [​IMG]

LOL - wink wink

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Maybe you can accelerate the teaching of your parrot with one of these. They'll be best buddies.

[​IMG]

17. andrew markworthy

I know from personal experience how far I can throw one of those things ...

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Hehehe...parrots don't travel as far [​IMG]

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just realized, is the phrase "Cold Turkey" the best phrase to be using in a thread about pet birds? [​IMG]

20. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

[​IMG]