1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried the Pro System Selector (component switcher)?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave F, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

Has anyone here tried the Pro System Selector (component switcher)? It is powered, so my initial thought was that it was an active switcher rather than a passive switch. However, I didn't notice that it also acted as an ethernet switch, so perhaps that would account for the power.

If it is passive, this could be a pretty sweet deal since it acts as a component switcher, an optical audio switch, and also consolidates the network cabling.

-Dave

2. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Well-Known Member

Yep. I've had mine for a few months now.

I really like the device. The only thing that it lacks is a remote control, other than that I've been very happy with the component and digital audio switching, as well as the ethernet switching.

I really needed something like this seeing as how I had 5 component devices with my Sat rec, my DVD player, my Xbox, my Gamecube and my PS2.

It's done it's job quite nicely.

Glen

3. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

Glen, have you passed a 720p or 1080i input through it? Also, am I correct in thinking that the ethernet switch is 10/100?

I'm really torn between this and the Audio Authority 1154. The AA has a reputation for great quality, and has 4 optical inputs, but only 4 component inputs is a drag. Having seven would be a comfortable fit.

Thanks,

-Dave

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Well-Known Member

Yep, my HDTV DirecTV reciever was passing a 1080i signal through it, and my Xbox was passing a 720P signal through it.

I didn't have any issues with either of them.

Glen

5. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks Glen! I think I'll pick one up this week.

-Dave

6. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Member

Does anyone know of any pictures of the back of this unit? I haven't been able to find any, and I'd like to before I buy it. Also, does it handle digital coax audio or just optical?

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

Sweet! Right now I'm an XBox house. But my girlfriend and I just gifted each other a GameCube + games for XMas, and her brother (with whom we share an apt.) is getting a PS2 for XMas. I will definitely be needing this as my DTV only has 2 component inputs and 1 is devoted to the DVD player.

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Well-Known Member

It has three optical, three ethernet, seven s video/composite/component switches on the back, and a hidden eigth component input on the front. It does not do digital coax though. Best Buy sells these in stores and there is a pic of the back on the top of the box.

It also comes in black and silver flavors.

9. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Member

Too bad about the lack of coax digital. I wonder if using the composite video input for coax digital audio would work? Anybody see a problem with that? I found the following picture online of the back of the unit, but the forum won't let me post the actual URL (GRRRR!!!). It's:

www dot consoleaccessories dot com/unv004.asp?img=b#largeimg

10. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

11. Jarrett_L

Jarrett_L New Member

I have one, and think it is awesome [​IMG] Just what the doctor ordered for passing my Xbox, DVD, computer, gamecube signals all to my overhead projector!

Only thing lacking, as someone said, is a remote.

Highly recommended.

Jarrett

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mini-reviews. The lack of remote isn't a biggie as I gotta get up to power on each system anyway.