What's new

Has anyone seen a movie that uses the "Real 3D" process? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You'd be talking about the upcoming broadcast premiere of the Hannah Montana concert film. Wal*Mart is selling 3-D glasses to benefit some children's charity or other. Although Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: The Best of Both Worlds was shot and presented in Real D, for broadcast the film is being shown in red/blue anaglyph format, which hardly compares to Real D.

How do I know? I just got back from Journey to the Center of the Earth this afternoon, and I can tell you that it is the best 3-D viewing experience I've had yet, and I've seen more than my fair share of 3-D movies. The glasses are reasonably comfortable, there is no eye strain or double vision, the effects are astounding and the image is razor-sharp. The trailers for Fly Me To The Moon and Bolt were cute, but the one that's got me excited is TWC's Igor with John Cusack. Not a 3-D trailer, but the movie looks great.

In answer to the question about if Real D is similar to the 3-D system employed by the Sega Master System, the answer is: kinda. The Sega Master system used LCD shutter glasses and rapidly alternating frames to create 3-D. Real D uses a rapidly alternating shutter system on the projector with circular polarised filters that match with the filters contained in the Real D glasses. It is this circular polarisation that reduces eye strain, as a tilt of the head will not result in double vision like it would with the old horizontal/vertical polarisation that was used in the 50s, 70s and 80s. The shutter rate is much faster though to reduce noticeable flicker (I believe it's 144 Hz, or 3 cycles per frame per eye per second).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Stephen,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. It is much appreciated! I may PM you about this. :)

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Thanks everyone in regards to the eye strain issue, I'm planning on seeing Journey tomorrow. I noticed that it's no longer listed in the online listings for my local Theatre as being in 3D, I'll be disappointed if it isn't but will see the movie anyways.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Shouldn't be. Projection is usually where stereoscopic films are done in, so to speak, but Real D is extremely conscientious and very hands-on. Eyestrain is only a remote possibility.

GregK

Screenwriter

I've seen quality projection of single strip 35mm 3-D, and some of it was decent. Then again, 16mm can look pretty decent too under the right conditions. I still stand by my assessment that an average Real-D digital set-up will look better than the average single strip 35mm print.

Dual 35mm obviously is an entirely different animal.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I saw Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D today, the movie was pretty good (not worth the new $8.25 Matinee price, up $2 from last week). The movie was too short and I didn't like how the characters basically stumbled across everything, even though they had a book full of clues but the 3D aspect was excellent. There was no eyestrain or headaches at all, so I was able to keep the glasses on throughout the movie.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I'm going to see "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in 3D. It has picked my curiosity. I heard that the 3D version sold more than the 2D! Do they use the same process that James Cameron is using for Avatar?

Alen Koebel

Auditioning
Just an FYI: The current issue and previous issue of Widescreen Review magazine feature a two part article about 3D technology, the first part covering what is being used in digital cinemas and the second part discussing home video. I'm not trying to blow my own horn, nor am I claiming the articles are completely free of errors, but they should answer a lot of questions.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Maybe in 2009?

Also, any word on when 3-D will be coming to Blu-ray? I have seen many articles on the web and Mitsubishi's 120HZ rear projection demo's of 3-D which look fantastic. But, I don't see any of the film studios releasing anything.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I saw Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D today, the movie was pretty good. The only problem I had with the 3D & glasses is when scenes would change or shift quickly, things seemed to lose focus until we were settled again on one or more subjects. Nice glasses though, not the cheap cardboard ones I've seen in the past.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
That’s the real problem with 3D. Because contrary to 2D, with each scene your eye has to change focus, so imagine it will be very tiring if the movie is not done and cut properly. I read an article that said because of this, making a 3D movie is different and you have to consider this while editing. So in a way you can never make a movie that is 100% perfect in both 3D and 2D.

I don’t know how James Cameron is going to do it especially with his many cuts. Maybe his 2D and 3D versions will have different cuts!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Is Cameron using the RealD process? I thought he had been involved in developing something different and new?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks