What's new

Has anyone ever painted a suspended ceiling black for your HT? (1 Viewer)

don costanza

Agent
For those keeping score on the cost of black tiles, just got a call back from our local dealer. For the Armstrong Fine Fisher tiles #1728, $83.16 per box of 16 tiles = 64 sq.ft. 3 week lead time, non-returnable.

Best Regards
Don

don costanza

Agent
no, don't have a link. I got a call from one of our local dealers. "Arm and a leg" is right... and maybe a spleen also. Guess that is the cost of entry into the wacky world of home theater. Actually, my take on it is because it is considered a "specialty item" that gives them free-reign to put you over a barrel. I'm certainly interested in pursuing other venues for purchasing them. Will try the manufacturer direct tomorrow. Anyone know if this will be a waste of time?

Best Regards
Don

Jonas Pearson

Stunt Coordinator
Try somewhere else, they are either gouging you or made a mistake. 1728BL I think is the code for 2x4's, and 1728ABL is the code for 2x2's.

You didn't make the mistake of mentioning that they were for a home theater did you? That has an amazing way of putting dollar signs in vendors eyes...

I paid just around $40 a box for 2x2 1728ABL here outside of Philadelphia.

don costanza

Agent
Jonas...
"You didn't make the mistake of mentioning that they were for a home theater did you?"

Nope, they had no idea what they were being used for. They just thought I was coming to them for a rather unusual request. #1728 was the code # given to me for 2x2 panels.

$40 a box, that's a pretty good deal. Did you get them direct

don costanza

Agent
An FYI for those also checking around for these as well as what they run here in the midwest...

Just got off the phone with Armstong Customer service 800 233 3823, and they indicated they only have black tiles for commercial, not residential. That's fine with me. Got a somewhat "local" shop out of Indianapolis which stocks the 2'x4' tiles for $64.80 a box (96 sq.ft')

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator
I found the 1728BL 2x2 tiles for $58.68 per box 64 sq ft.
He gave me the price for the grids.
Main T's 4.64 ea
4' T's 1.40 ea
2' T's .71 ea
Wall Angle 2.97 ea

I thought it was a fair price. Worth not having to paint.
I am still going to check out the ceiling max though. There sure seems to be a wide range in prices out there.

Curt

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator
I just found USG black 2x2 tiles for $38.40 per box 16 tiles per box. Item is Radar 2210 black. In case anyone likes USG better, that is what I am going to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks