What's new

Has anybody heard when The Island is coming to DVD? (1 Viewer)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I loved this movie when it came out in 1980. Anybody hear about a possible DVD release?

Will K

Screenwriter
If this is still Universal's property, you'll probably be waiting a while. They don't seem to be very gracious with catalog titles these days. :frowning:

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Not only is there a dearth of Universal catalog releases these days, but THE ISLAND was one of the big bombs of the decade. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be on DVD, though.

ISLAND director Michael Ritchie passed away recently and somehow, exploitative and petty as it may seem, this kind of thing tends to help things like re-releases. We'll see. Ritchie's THE SURVIVORS was released by Columbia/Tri-Star recently and that was by no means a big hit, either.

Jon

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes, it definitely was a bomb especially since the book was written by the guy that wrote Jaws, I believe. People expected a lot more than they got for that reason. As a teenager I loved the modern day pirate angle and enjoyed Michael Caine's performance. Those 50 caliber bullets do cause havoc. A guilty pleasure :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Definite guilty pleasure and a lot more fun than that third Peter Benchley adaptation, The Deep.
I'd buy one. I have a soft spot for those "legendary turkeys".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks