What's new

Harry Shearer wants to leave The Simpsons. (1 Viewer)

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Harry Shearer is a multi-talented, brilliantly funny actor and impressionist. He has been in the business of making mainstream American entertainment for over half a century (with child roles going as far back as "The Jack Benny Show" and The Robe in the early 1950s).

So, Shearer knows how the behind-the-scenes games are played in Hollywood. If he REALLY wanted to leave a series, he would just do it, I think--not just pop off to a reporter about being ill-treated. Still, I don't think he should be complaining in the first place (not publicly, anyway), considering how little he's had to work for a living in the past decade. But, like most "Simpsons" fans, he's probably been unhappy with the declining quality of the shows ever since he re-upped his contract.

I have a hunch a lot of the people who have been heavily involved with the show creatively for many years are, like Shearer, tired of doing the same old crap in a worse way and just want the show to end. I can't blame them. It's worth one brilliant "Simpsons" movie just to stop watching the best TV show of the 1990s (next to MST3K) grow more sick with virtually every episode.

By the way, I couldn't agree more, Moe, with your comments about teachers. The only reason they are paid so woefully less than athletes or entertainers isn't because they generate less revenue--they'd just know that much better than to sell out their hard-earned money to advertisers and other business interests whose only concern is using them to make money.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think he was talking about revenue for the school. Teachers don't bring any revenue into the school that they teach at...unless a grateful student decides to come back (after he/she has become successful) and throws a lot of money into the school.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Does not matter. If he is paid to be a participant in the the table reads and blows them off, it is inappropriate behavior. I'd like to blow off the meetings I have to attend in my job, but that is where my check comes from, so I go. Not to mention that it is disruptive to the rest of the staff. If you don't like what you're doing, then quit if you want, but as long as you are being paid, show up for work.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Mark is correct, I was referring to revenue teachers generate for their particular school. I actually have a friend that teaches for a living, and the percentage of revenue generated that is paid out to teachers is higher than the percentage of revenue which is paid out to players in the national football league. I think it was something like only 12 percent of all league revenue is paid to players, its much higher than that in probably every school district.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Another obnoxious, whiny millionaire. First Bonds, then Chappelle, now Shearer. Is it something to do with the weather?

All of these guys need to spend a few weeks dealing with the problems of the 99% of the population that doesn't make money for doing so very little. You know: small house, defective car, medical bills, etc. Time for some perspective.

Even if Shearer does think the show is ailing (and it's inevitable, as no narrative can be sustained for this long without a decline in quality), the fact that it's responsible for giving him massive wealth should be a guarantee that he's going to put on a brave face for the "family." At this late stage, loyalty shouldn't have to be requested, it should be expected.

If Shearer doesn't want the money, then hopefully Fox can excise some kind of termination clause. My guess is that Shearer will issue a statement saying that his comments were "misinterpreted."

Seriously: a quarter-million for a few hours' worth of work, if that? Man, shut the $%&*@ up.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

Even still, your statement wouldn't be correct... assuming of course that your districts' educational budget is derived from taxes (like they are in my city).

Taxes that go to pay for school come from taxpayers, who are generally employed individuals who are using the knowledge they gained from schooling (in some form or another...) to make a living, and hence pay those taxes. In essense, when teachers send their students out into the workforce armed with the knowledge that they'd gained in their classes, those students are the products of the teachers. Those students then get jobs, generate an income, and pay taxes which go back into funding the educational system.

Moe.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
well, I can use any profession and go through a lot of ties to prove something, but the whole point of the comment was that people pay sports franchises and television networks lots of money for their products (or image).

A teachers value can't be compared to money anyways so there's no reason to try and compare this to the "value" of Actors, Voice Talent, and Sports Figures.

The point is, how "valuable" is Harry to the Simpsons? Just like a sports icon who demands more respect (or cash) with his particular team. At what point does their attitude go beyond their "value"???

I don't think it's fair to bring up comparisons to the "common" folk. Just because he makes a lot of money to do a few hours of voice work, doesn't mean he should shut his mouth and be happy. There is obviously a reason why he is allowed to do a few hours worth of work and get paid $250 G's.

The point is, is that reason due to a lot of his efforts? Obviously he cares enogh to voice a storng opinion on his characters. Most people would just take the money and not care, but he sounds like he does. Although it could be that he's just a jerk and likes to complain. But I don't have any concrete evidence, so I can't say, and I certainly can't call him a whiney-celeb.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
The Sdimpsons are as good as ever, possibly better right now. I will tke replacements if they are neccesary but The Simpsons should never end.

As for Mr. Shearer, I think he is gearing up for a tell all book.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I think some of the comments on here about Shearer are laughable, specifically the ones that make it sound as if he might be hurting if The Simpsons fired him. The man has had a long, long career, and does other work aside from The Simpsons. He might miss the money, but he'll get by, and he'll continue to get work for years to come.

As for comparing teachers and anyone else, that's pretty stupid too. You can't account for the revenue generated by teachers by talking about the children they educate. Each child gets educated by a lot of teachers and their parents. Now how much of their future income is owed to these people? There's just no way to account for this.

In other areas you can account for approximate revenue generated by specific people. The Simpsons sells ads, lots of ads, and the primary reason is because of the voice actors who make the characters real, and the writing. Writers have cycled in and out of that show, but the voice actors have stayed and their loss would hurt the show. In the case of The Simpsons the voice actors are as signficant as actors on other shows. They deserve a fair share of the profits the show generates, regardless of how much time they put in. Why should the management get to pocket all that money?

Most high-paid entertainers and athletes are obviously overpaid based on the work they put in and the real value to society it provides. However the work they do is highly profitable, people pay, one way or another, to see them perform. Since the money is coming in, don't you think the person who is drawing it in deserves a significant share?

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
For 250k per episode, they could write me one line per episode and, to paraphrase Lewis Black, have a gorilla f-me from behind while I'm recording it. And I'd like it.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Harry Shearer is a very talented guy, but it's not like he could find a cushier gig than The Simpsons...especially for that kind of money.

Left to his own devices, Harry...well, did anyone out there actually SEE Teddy Bears' Picnic? Shearer wrote, directed and appears in this movie...and it's absolutely awful. I was stunned at how inept the thing was.

I do respect the guy's talent and all, but to publicly knock the employers who just give you the raise you were demanding...seems kinda tacky.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I can understand people not liking what Shearer and the other voice actors on the show did by holding it hostage for higher salary, but it kind of unfair to keep ripping him for his comments.

It doesnt seem like he has been going around ripping the show everywhere, and if you gave interviews regularly you would probably slip and say something you shouldnt.

I appreciate his honesty. I saw some quotes from Dan Castenella the other day and it made me cringe. In response to a question about Shearer he said something along the lines of the show is as good as ever and the fans just dont like that the show is evolving to stay fresh. Now I dont think he has to say the show is bad, but I dont believe for a second he really thinks the show is as good as ever. Say what you want about Shearer but at least he is honest.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
He's right and wrong. I'm sure the fans would be complaining of boredom if the show stayed the same (that's why I gave up on Friends, because it was the same thing over and over again), but I don't think a lot of the fans gripes are with the shows "evolution", their gripes are with the fact that we don't laugh as hard (or as often) as we used to.

I don't mind them evolving, just make me laugh like I used to.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
>And as for the number of shows with at least as many seasons

Of that list of shows, only Gunsmoke & Lassie are comparable to the Simpsons (scripted shows with the same core characters). The rest are sports, talk, news, variety, etc.

And wasn't Lassie several different series with different casts? Sort of like Lucy's various sitcoms? I Love Lucy is not the same show as her other ones, even though the character was similar.

I don't consider Jay Leno's Tonight Show to be the same show as Steve Allen's. Same title & similar format, sure. You might as well count Conan O'Brien's show as the same show as Letterman's on NBC.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I too have to agree that the previous list of shows is not a fair comparision to the longevity of the Simpsons.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I deliberately excluded daytime shows, particularly soap operas from my list because in my research I found that all the ones currently on now predate The Simpsons. Furthermore, most of the daytime shows are on five days a week with new shows. But I admit that considering how few shows live past their first seasons, such a feat is still relatively rare.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
One of the conscious decisions made at the beginning was that the characters would not age - unless as part of a dream sequence. That being the situation, it forces the writes to be more inventive and come up with newer and crazier things to keep up entertained as the years go on.

I'm guessing that Dan is just being a cheerleader and wants the show to survive as long as possible, Harry is a complainer (based on what's been revealed here over the course of his career) and he's probably never happy unless he's complaining about something. No doubt we ALL know people like that in our daily lives.

If Harry hates it that much, I'm sure he can buy himself out of his contract and move on. But you know what, if that happens, the show will go on. He's just a voice on a cartoon show. His job can be filled by others who will do it similar or very close.

It can also lead to the introduction of new character, too.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

So Harry criticizes the show, and is hailed by many for being a truth teller. Dan offers his oppinion on the show which is more positive and he is called a liar.

Unless you have perminent residence inside Dan Castelenetta's head, you can't know that he was lying when he said that. Isn't it just *possible* that he really does believe what he says and he still enjoys doing the show, which I'm sure plays a factor in how he feels about the product in general?

Look, I agree that the Simpsons as now not as good as it used to be, it used to be must see sunday night TV for me but not for many years, but I'm not going to immediately assume that 1 guy is telling the truth because he bashes the show while the other guy still has high praise for it and is considered a liar.

I may not agree with Dan, but I can't know for sure that he was lying or being any less honest than Harry.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Your right I dont know what he is thinking, but I think I probably do, and I think he really doesnt believe the show is as good as ever. Like I said I dont think he has to agree that the show is bad, but to totally dismiss the critics is what I didnt like.

I dont mind that he is being a chearleader for the show, but I can respect Shearer even if he comes off a bit whiney.

Whats wrong with Shearer reflecting the feelings of many of the fans. Like him they love to complain about the show, but cant stop watching it.

I hate to watch interviews with many actors because they come across like they are just promoting their current work and will say anything to publicize it.

At least with people like shearer, even if they are whining, it feels like an honest discussion of the show like I would have with my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks