What's new

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban DVD Glitch Thread (Please Read) (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
That's nice of them, but somehow I doubt that nobody at Warner already knows about the problem. When I watched the movie I didn't notice the 'interference' (I only have a 4x3 and the brightness and contrast are set lot) but I DID see the flashing number and I need to at least hear an explanation of why that's there.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Just finished mailing Warner Home Video my HPATPOA disc with a cover letter and 9 page copy of this thread.Hope this helps.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow, good work Paul!

BTW, I figured out why I got (dim) interference patterns in dark areas in other movies - my Momitsu V880 is introducing them! They are non-existent if I use my HTPC. Well, at least I think that's the reason anyways.

Let's hope WB offers a fix for us...

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Just got this disc for Christmas and watched it last night. There's no doubt about it somebody screwed up when this disc was mastered and it's obviously something that shows up on all discs and not an isolated few.

Warner Brothers needs to fess up and offer a return for exchange on this one!

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I got the same canned reply about returning the disc. I have yet to do so... why return it until we know they have replacements available?

I'm not confident that they will offer replacements... the sales numbers on this title were/are enormous. It would be a huge effort to replace them all. Call me a pessimist.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
This is weird. I watched this over the weekend and did not see the wavy lines. I am watching on a 57" 16:9 professionally calibrated display from about 9' feet back. I'll have to try popping it in another player or PC to see if it's there.

I'm certainly not doubting that you all have this issue-it's obvious from the evidence something is wrong. It's just weird, because in every other issue like this reported on HTF I've been able to see the issue on my setup.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Haven't heard back from the W.B.yet.

Andrew BunkIt's not that weird. Over the New Years weekend, my brother and his family, who rarely visit, came up to see us and also wanted to watch a movie in our home theater. The first thing he wanted to see, being a Harry Potter fan, was HPATPOA.:frowning: As I posted earlier, I purchased a replacement POA, the day I mailed in my flawed copy to W.B..

Explaining to them that out of all the movies they could have picked to see the reference quality of our theater, they had to pick the worst example to date.:b After telling them what they were going to have to overlook, I started the movie. THERE WAS NO "INTERFERENCE PATTERN" for the first two thirds of the movie.:confused: :emoji_thumbsup: :wink: Blacks were DEEP & SOLID in every place I noticed the interference problem on the original disc. It was so good, I started thinking, I must have just got a bad disc.:crazy: But in the fade in the later chapters, I noticed it again, but not as pronounced. Seeing it, I pointed out to the family what I was talking about and they all agreed it definitely was a flaw. My brother said he would of thought we were watching a televised version, if he hadn't known better.

So. What's going on?:confused: Different discs with numbers 301 and 302, and now discs with different degrees of interference.:confused: :confused: :confused: Just how many different copies are out there? From those that don't see any interference problems at all, I REALLY WANT WHAT YOU ARE LUCKY TO HAVE! :angry: :crazy: :p) :rolleyes:

Paul

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Paul,

If you'd like, give me some timecodes and I'll check out the disc on my set and my PC to see if I can pick up the patterns.

I also don't recall seeing the 301 or 302 but I'm sure it was there and I just missed although I was kind of looking for it. It's during the scene where Mr. Weasley is speaking with Harry, correct?

James D

Second Unit
I didn't notice the wavy lines neither. I'm using a Panasonic XP-50 progressively into a Sony 34XBR910 set. I did however notice the 301 watermark. I bought my copy at Wal*Mart.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I noticed the wavy lines, but they were not extremely distracting. I pretty much dismissed it as analog interference, but forgot to investigate this further (none of my other titles showed this, however...). I did not notice the watermark, but have only watched this once. I am watching a Mitsubishi 65511 HDTV (calibrated via DVE) using a Denon DVD-1600 connected via component.... I need to watch this again...

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
On my current disc, the easiest way to look would be to use the DVD players "chapter" button or the "Scene Selections" area on the disc itself. Chapter 28 is (1:45:30). The pattern is more subdued on my new replacement disc, but it is still visibly present.

The copy of your disc and mileage may vary. If you don't see patterns, hang on to your copy!;)

Paul

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
We watched PoA on our Panasonic AE700 projector over Christmas, using the HTPC to play it, and I didn't spot any interference patterns whatsoever. Copy was purchased from a Canadian e-tailer.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Received a package today from Warner Home Video Inc. The contents of the package contained a letter and a keepcase 2-Disc Widescreen Edition of HPATPOA. Unfortunately, one of the two clips holding the center platter that holds Disc 1, was broken, but the discs themselves were firmly attached to their spindles and unscathed.

The letter reads:After putting the DVD in my computer, I quickly jumped to chapter 27 and then 28, and there were the patterns. Well; what did you expect? :rolleyes:I'm sure it will take time to just find, let alone correct the technical hardware that's causing the intermittent problems with the ”deep blacks”. :wink: And the blame? Who's going to take the blame? Do you think they have insurance for this kind of thing? After the George Lucas "Star Wars" matter, who would know? But as long as there are places like the HTF, where legitimate concerns can and will freely be addressed, I think these "matters" will continually fester, until they are corrected and the responsibility for the quality of the content will have to be accounted for - a technical price that must be paid in full by the consumer, one way or another.

Paul

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
FWIW I just bought and viewed a pre-viewed copy from Blockbuster and saw none of the problems described.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Paul, those "patterns" are below 7.5 IRE, which is NTSC "black" and would not be visible on a properly calibrated video system.

Since PC's output the full range from 0 to 100 IRE, I would expect them to be visible on a PC since most are not calibrated to the NTSC standard.

I agree that they shouldn't be there in the first place, however a QC run on a properly calibrated system would not show this issue either.

Ted

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ted wrote:If this is correct, Then Avia's calibration "Black Bar" patterns for setting black levels, designed to overcome the inability of even older PLUGE based test patterns, isn't doing its job. :rolleyes
AVIA's black bars are supposed to work with ALL DVD players for setting accurate black levels.
The fact is the patterns are visible on all three of my systems. 1st systm: Sony KW-34HD1 using a Camelot "Roundtable" DVD player and/or a LiteON LVD-2001 player, Second system: A Sampo 34" Widescreen XGA HDTV Monitor using a Panasonic RP91 and/or a second LiteON LVD-2001 player. Third system: Marantz VP-12S2 projector using a Bravo D1 player with DVI connections, projected onto a 110" Stewart FireHawk screen. My 23" HD Cinema display is used for a fast check, and as you say, may show O to 100 IRE, as I haven't checked this.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks