1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Harmon Kardon 320

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg baker, Feb 13, 2003.

1. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I have been researching receivers for a while. I like the hk-325 but I noticed Harmanaudio.com sells the refurbished hk-320 for $398. Much cheaper than the 325 with full factory warranty. Is the 325 worth the extra money. Will probably have Paradigm minis or monitor 3's. I would think either could perform well.

Greg

2. BrandonB

BrandonB Agent

I am not an authority to rate if the 325 is better, but I just ordered the Refurb 320 on Tues. Ships out from Harman tomorrow. I did notice that www.OneCall.com has the 520 on sale for $496. That was my biggest debate. I decided that I'd apply the extra $100 towards my speakers instead. I didn't really need the extra power, and backlit remote.

Guess I didn't help you out too much, huh?

EDIT: http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_13505.htm

Here is the direct link to the 520.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The 325 has better base management (triple x-over). You only get 5.1 with the 320, so you have to use an external amp for any other channels. The 325 is dual zone capable without using another amp. The component switching is rated to 50MHz on the 325 and up to 35MHz on the 320. The 325 also has a fan. If you don't need 7.1- the 320 is a well liked machine.

4. JauCheeze

JauCheeze Stunt Coordinator

If you have a fry's electronics nearby, they might be clearing out the 520's for $399.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

$399???? That's increadible! Where did you get this tip from?

6. GaryMil

GaryMil Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a floor model 520 from CC for $499. They had 2 on display, one that was being used, another that was just sitting there unplugged for 9 months. It sure appeared new, Not a acratch on it. Had all the accessories, but no box. build date of Oct 2001.

I wanted the ability to return it without any problems. Besides, I'm not crazy about having something like a receiver shipped. Also if there is a problem, or I'm not happy with it, I eat the shipping both ways. This unit so far works flawlessly.
    Dolby Pro Logic II sounds incredible.
    I'm using it as a pre/pro.

But new for $399 is incredible.

7. GaryMil

GaryMil Stunt Coordinator

Just came back from Circuit City. 6th ave Electronics has a b&m store real close to the CC where I purchased the 520 from. Anyway, I explained that I could have gotten a new one from 6th ave for the same $499 that I paid for the open box. CC credited my card for $100, so I bought the 520 for $399. Not a bad deal. by the way the unit appears to be flawless.

8. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

The close out price is $399.98 at FRYs. I have bought 3 units in one month for My self and friends.The last unit I got it for $349.98 no remote.
    They all have SBR problem in LOGIC7 mode. NO BIG deal really loosing one channel in the back.

9. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Hey John,

I have a 320. How do I test for the SBR problem? I do not have an external amp, so that route won't work for me...

10. John S Choi

John S Choi Agent

AVR320 & 520 all have SBR problem.
    YOU will only hear low hum from that channel on L7.
    I have 3 units with manufacture date of OCT/01,MAR/02, and
    SEP/02.
    Its not that big deal at all for price I got and sound quality. It also comes with 2 year warranty.