What's new

Harman Kardon AVR 520 review (1 Viewer)

TomMadden

Agent
Oh, BTW -

For all you 520 owners out there - I just watched "The Lord of The Rings" last weekend for the first time. It sounded terrific on the 520 it more than enough power to get through it. You really need to try it - it's quite a dynamic movie in terms of the sound track. I didn't really care for the movie, though (sorry, Tolkien fans). I must be the only geek in the world that didn't like it. I was worth the $4 Blockbuster rental fee just to hear it, though.

Even something as dialogue-oriented as Gotsford Park (which I also rented last week) sounded great - especially the phesant-hunting scene. The gunshots were everywhere!

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
You are not alone. I purchased the movie "sight unseen", and was actually quite disappointed. At this point I am more interested in the fact that it is Logic7 encoded than in the actual movie itself. I will probably buy the entire 3 movie set before it's all over, but am really not impressed. I am a Tolkien fan and feel that the movies are for those of us who are. It seems you would have to be familiar with all the characters and their relationships, adventures, etc. in order to actually enjoy anything but the special effects. As for those, the animation is far from realistic (though actually quite well done for animation) and LOUD is the most obvious effect. And the elves... They are supposed to be beautiful. While Liv Tyler may meet that criteria, she looks a little rough. Some of the rest are barely ok to ugly (Cate Blanchett,Hugo Weaving).

Things I liked included the scenery, Gandolph, the river turning to horses, the Ringwraiths and their horses (guess I liked most of the movies horses), and to be able to visualize some of the places and characters.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
I am another happy HK owner:)
I really like that it has pre-outs and proccesses DTS-ES and L7 7.1 and 6.1 so I can ad and amp and run 7.1 in the future, and even add a five channel amp too and use it as a Pre/Pro.
I just wish it used two seperate Crytal DSP chips like the AVR8000 does, so you can overlay and apply Logic 7 to 5.1 encoded materials like DD and DTS.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to miss out on the HK mutual admiration society. I've had my 520 since December of last year. This is my second HK. If they keep making them like this I may never buy anything else. The multizone output has been an outstanding addition to my home audio set up. I found the speaker and source set up to be almost painfully easy. So easy in fact it made wonder if I was doing it right. The EZ set is a brilliant addition to an already flexible package. I love the look of the status and source indicators and the large FL display.

Just about any good action DVD will impress through the HK, but when I demo the system for friends I play the SAM shootdown scene from Behind Enemy Lines. It knocks their socks off.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys:

I'm a serious LOTR fan from way back. I'm not kidding - the movie,for me, is like someone ripped the book out of my head and put it on screen. It is absolutely the best book to movie I have ever seen.

I do believe you have to have read the book to have a real appreciation for the the whole thing. But I am astounded.

They did leave one scene out of the DVD that was at the movie theater. Did anyone else notice this? The extended version will be almost 4 hours long and will be in DTS-ES.

Back to the 520 - the movie and sound were fabulous on my system - I love the 520. Can't wait to hear the DTS-ES version of LOTR!! This forum and others has made me realize I've made the best choice for the money.

Thanks for educating me.

Mike

ErichH

Screenwriter
I remember my first HT reciever, the AVR300, and how much I liked the amps. After making my way through Onkyo(787) and Denon(3801) and then an Outlaw 1050(which I really like and still own) I decided to order an HK520 and see if those great amps are still there.

I've never had a need for lots of switching or anything more than imputs for my RP91 and a sat reciever. I only care about clean amps. Looks like the general view among most here and the other forum reviews is that the 520 has it. Clean power!

I'm one of those guys that went into shock about the lame quality of the power amps in most of the 800-1200 range recievers from the past few years. When people say things like `Good for HT but Bad for music' I just cringe. It should sound clean on both or not.

Here's hoping the HK puts a smile on my face, and my Studio 40 tweets.

Eric

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hey Erich!

Please let us know you thoughts once you get your receiver tested. I have 28 days to return mine and I really would like to know your evaluation!

Thanks

Mike

ErichH

Screenwriter
Mike,

I'll get a first impression up here. Hope to see it Friday. I have guarded high hopes.

Eric

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i'm curious as to how the 520 would compare to the new sony str-da2es...they seem pretty similiar.....like the H/K the sony *should* be able to to put out its rated power since the da3es could...

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Jason,

You should take a hard look at the Sony DA4ES. It has 7 channels of amplification and 3 processors. You can overlay the Sony's Cinema Studio EX modes over 5.1 encoded material. I have seen members getting the DA4ES for $630 shipped from authorized dealers. This is a very good deal IMO.

According to Sony engineers, the new Sony receivers (DA4ES and DA7ES) have Sony's latest and best digital processing to date, including the 9000ES processor and former DA777ES Flagship.

I have used Denon and Sony receivers as preamp/processors with a H/K amplifier (PA5800 purchased for a little over $300) for years and believe I get the best of both worlds. All of the latest formats and loads of features and tweakability especially on the Sony.

A friend has the AVR7000 and it's a very good receiver with plenty of power for his small bookshelfs, but the Logic7 cannot be used to enhance 5.1 like the Lexicons or 8000. The H/K 525 is rumored to have Logic7 that can be overlayed on 5.1, this may be something to wait for.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
the only things that interest me with the 4ES is the RS-232C port and the better remote...i won't be using 7.1

but if the circuitry in the 4ES is really a big step above the 2ES....i may go get the 4.......or the H/K?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
LOTR is L-7 encoded?

Too bad the 520 can't apply that over DD and DTS like the Lexicons and the 8000 receiver.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Lewis,

The L-7 encoding is when the mixer(Mi Casa Multimedia for example) uses a Lexicon processor to downmix the 5.1 tracks into 2 channel audio tracks for use of L-7 on the 2 channel tracks. I think analog, PCM and DD2.0 all contain the L-7 encoding. So the 520 can take advantage of the L-7 encoding using the analog or PCM tracks.

I'm not sure if the 520 can apply L-7 to DD2.0 audio or not. I don't think you can.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is a such thing as "Logic 7 encoded" material.

All Logic 7 is, is a DSP algorythm that is *applied* to pre-existing 2 channel or 5.1 channel sources to get a cohesive sound field for a 7.1 speaker setup.

The 2 channel sources can be normal stereo sources like music, or Dolby Surround encoded movie soundtracks. 5.1 is obviously DD or DTS. Which then it follows that you can also do L7 processing on the matrixed versions: DD EX and DTS-ES.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Mike and everybody - My 520 arrived today and since I'm my own boss, I quit early to play.

My setup is simple-A Pany RP91 and a 2 year old Sat reciever(RCA) direct into a Pioneer 533. The Speaks are Paradigm Studio 40(X4) and Studo Center. My sub is a cheapie 12 that I rebraced and stuffed to help it along until I can get something better. It performs much better than it's supposed to(there's a speaker builder in my shop)

I decided to just plug in and listen-no setup. After 1 or 2 DVDs, my impression of the high end is good. I'm hyper aware of the top on my dynes, and more concerned with that than anything else. So far, I like what I hear, or rather....Don't hear......harshness. Other items were that the sub output is hotter than my previous recievers, and I'll get to that later. My surrounds are down a bit, so I guess it's time to set up and mabe RTM! What a concept!

I remember reading about the remote being quirky, and mine worked great for 10 minutes and then stopped. I only need it for a day or so, and I'll get the basics into my MX500.

The 520 seems to detect Dolby just fine from the Sat, but at first it just played in stereo. Once I chose pro logic it began to auto switch to DD, PL,Stereo when I moved through channels.

Tonight and tomorro is for calibrating and getting to know the 520, and I'll be back with more thoughts. Maby some new batteries for the remote(you never know?)

I'll be setting up a 6 ch direct for DVDA and listening to DTS stuff.

Mike, I don't have a real impression yet, other than it sounds like I may have something good. I need more time-I'll be back.

Best

Eric

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
Check this quote from SMR from the Mi Casa members.
Mi Casa is also notable in that all of their two-channel soundtracks are downmixed from the 5.1 source with Lexicon's Logic 7 and accordingly are Logic 7 encoded, so playing back the two-channel soundtrack on a Lexicon processor or Harman/Kardon receiver with Logic 7 will recover much of the original 5.1 discrete soundtrack experience. Brant noted with some irony that the chances of a Lexicon owner actually using the 2-channel soundtrack rather than the 5.1 soundtrack are rather small.
A complete list of the DVDs transferred by Mi Casa can be found on their website Mi Casa Multimedia in the Filmography section.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the first look Erich. Please keep in touch - your comments will be most helpful!!!!!

I'm certainly interested.

Thanks

Mike

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Mi Casa is also notable in that all of their two-channel soundtracks are downmixed from the 5.1 source with Lexicon's Logic 7 and accordingly are Logic 7 encoded, so playing back the two-channel soundtrack on a Lexicon processor or Harman/Kardon receiver with Logic 7 will recover much of the original 5.1 discrete soundtrack experience. Brant noted with some irony that the chances of a Lexicon owner actually using the 2-channel soundtrack rather than the 5.1 soundtrack are rather small.

I was wondering about this - If I select 2 channel audio with my FOTR disc and then press the Logic 7 button on my AVR 520's remote, nothing happens. It acts just like it does when there's AC-3 playing - as if it can't apply logic 7. Am I doing something wrong?

This may be a silly complaint, but I just purchased a 520 to use as a pre/pro primarily, and I noticed to binding posts don't take spades!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Daryl- All I know, is that I've never personally seen a Logic-7 encoded CD or DVD. I've also never seen one mentioned in any of the HT rags (SGHT, S&V, HTM, WSR). If they exist, there can't be that many of them. :)
Dude, I just looked through the Biography, Discography, Filmography, and "Info & Links" parts on the Mi Casa site. I saw DTS mentioned, but no Logic 7. ??
I looked *heavily* into the Lexicon DC-2 and MC-1 a while ago. And now I have been perusing literature on H/K's 520, 7000, and 8000. No where have I seen any mention of Logic 7 *encoded* material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks