What's new

Hard Day's Night-Official Specs (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Aspect Ratio(s):
Widescreen anamorphic - 1.66:1
Is this confirmed? And if so, where are all the people who were vociferously defending an 1.33:1 A.R. to protest like I was in defense of 1.66:1 at the time?
What made Miramax change its mind? Me?;) Richard Lester?
Ted

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
No minds were changed.

AHDN is fine at 1.33:1 and 1.66:1...it's just that Lester preferred the 1.33:1 ratio (which was totally unmatted, with all the watchable frame exposed) for video. Since we now have widescreen TV and anamorphic widescreen transfers, 1.66:1 will be just fine.

However...I hope it's true 1.66:1. 1.78:1 or wider will destroy the movie (not unlike showing A Clockwork Orange any wider than 1.66:1)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, yes. The only one I own off the top of my head is Army of Darkness, but there are plenty of examples

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad they left it in the Original 1:33 and did not crop and chop as they did for the Evil Dead.
First, the DVD is 1.66:1. Second, The Evil Dead was originally shot without mattes ever in mind...the matting to 1.85:1 was an afterthought (which is done quite well, IMO).

A Hard Day's Night was always intended for 1.33:1 to 1.66:1 exhibition and was composed as such.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...it's just that Lester preferred the 1.33:1 ratio (which was totally unmatted, with all the watchable frame exposed) for video.
I would be curious to know the source of that. I've never really been satisfied that that was anything more than rumour or speculation.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The "crop and chop" was SPECIFICALLY requested by Sam Raimi. He always liked how the movie looked matted to 1.85:1

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
What audio track(s) are offered on the disc? I believe the original film was in mono.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Personal attack on Forum member edited out by admin. Do not repost here if you care to remain a member of HTF.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That's what DVD file says -- in English and French. No original mono track.
Lame. The original soundtrack mix should always be included...it is available, there is at least one archival print at UCLA reported to have the original soundtrack in good condition. It doesn't have to be original master quality or digital quality; or even magnetic quality; just at least give us the sound as it was heard in the theater as an option.
Instead we waste bits pandering to people who don't even care about hearing the original language. Give me subtitles any day.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I will hang onto the old MPI version,
along with the "You Can't Do That:
Making Of A Hard Day's Night" Hosted by Phil Collins,
and I will get the new 2 disc version.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I just bought back the MPI version for $35.00, I sold it over a year ago for $100, so I still made $55 profit on it. I am still getting this new one though.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I just bought back the MPI version for $35.00, I sold it over a year ago for $100, so I still made $55 profit on it. I am still getting this new one though.
To figure profit, you would have to include the original price you paid. Although, I'am glad your not on the other end of the 100/55!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not having the original mono track is a crime!
I still can't figure out why anyone who takes the time/effort/money to do a multi mix, wouldn't want the original sound of the movie to compare what a great job they did.
Of coarse, there's always Batman The Movie, where the multi mix falls on it's face compared to original.
Save space for the original audio, it's just as important as the original video [except to George, who could care less about either].

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This release was much more mouth-watering months ago when there were three commentaries attached, and a soundtrack containing the "screaming teens" as might have been (and was, I can assure you from persponal experience) heard in 1964. As is happening more and more often these days, the commentaries were dropped, as well as the screaming teens (which would have been fun, replicating my own experience trying to hear the damn soundtrack through all the audience noise). And I also thought they were going to include the RUNNING, JUMPING, STANDING STILL film at one time. The air went out of this tire. Wish they'd simply stop announcing these goodies until they have them "in the can," so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks