1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Independance Day

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam Gregorich, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    A Happy Independence Day from HTF owners and staff. Hope you have a safe and relaxing fourth of July weekend!

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Happy 4th!

We've got a 16 yo niece visiting the past week. We've run out of things to do...so we're heading to Norfolk, VA area and hope to do a dolphin-watch boat trip tomorrow, if the residual hurricane winds permit.

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  3. andrew markworthy

In the spirit of the day, and just to show we Brits don't hold grudges, here's a blast from the past:

4. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

That was f**king hilarious, especially statement #12.

I'm apparently genetically British, please take me back.As for #16, most US citizens, except for the Bush family, know how to pronounce nuclear :)

We sadly have way to many "Duck Dynasty" hillbillies and "Honey Boo Boo" overweight slackers, but maybe we can round them all up and shoot them before we give up our guns to the superior British people.

(Fine Print - I do not own a gun, would never shoot a person if I did, just a joke)

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    British history may make even less sense than US history. Parliament executed Charles I, then later had a second revolution and brought back Charles II and made him King. But they didn't like his successor, James II, so they ran him out of the country and brought in a Dutchman as King. The Dutchman's sterility made the Brits sometime later bring in some distant relative German. So much for the idea that a monarchy affords political stability.

6. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
    I was born and raised in England, have lived in the US for the last 20 years and became a US citizen in 2008 (I hold dual citizenship) and becoming a US citizen was one of the proudest days of my life. I now have two incredible countries to call home.Happy 4th, everyone!

Dheiner, Adam Gregorich and TravisR like this.
  7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Neil,

My grandmother's family was the Dahmer Drews, who are related to the Spencer Churchills since 1066. Not only is Winston a cousin but so is the late Princess Diana.

Daniel Hannan's article today says it quite well.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/381914/forgotten-flag-american-revolution-and-what-it-means-daniel-hannan

Dheiner likes this.
  8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  9. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
  10. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Premium
    Supporter

Neil Middlemiss
    That was golden!

DaveF likes this.
  11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    In the classic film The Right Stuff, the Wernher von Braun character says about the future of NASA vis a vis the Russians: "our Germans are better than their Germans".

In regards 1776, we could say "our Brits are better than their Brits".

Neil Middlemiss, DaveF and Stan like this.
  12. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Screenwriter

Stanley
    I studied The Revolution extensively in my youth, and today of all days I just cannot take the Brits, that goddamned accent really makes my blood boil. You burned our White House f'christsakes! You've referred to my hometown as a nest of pirates, you condescending arseholes. I AM KIDDING OF COURSE! We're family, we love each other, so we had a bit of a spat. You got upset when we wanted to move out on our own, it happens all the time. You felt abandoned, we were cocky. Now look how good things are. One thing we did miss was good beer. The crap we were forced to drink for decades was shameful. I didn't know beer could taste good until I got a job, saved a little extra money and discovered Samuel Smith's Tadcaster Brewery. I thought: so that's what it's supposed to taste like. Let's forget that stupid fight, I can't even remember what it was all about, so lets raise a glass and salute each other, but mine will be filled with a nice English pale ale at about 55 degrees. Cheers.

13. andrew markworthy

I don't think a monarchy necessarily does give stability. It's how the monarchy operates in a democratic country as a figurehead that is an *expression* of stability. Just the same goes for a presidency. And both systems have their merits and faults, but overall they work perfectly well. So vive la difference!

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Perhaps Winston said it best, as he often did:

15. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

Perhaps Winston did say it best, by the time he got through pontificating, everybody had fallen asleep, nobody left to complain.

A prime objective of the Constitution was to be conservative; it was to guard the principles and machinery of State from capricious and ill-considered alteration. In its fundamental doctrine the American people acquired an institution which was to command the same respect and loyalty as in England are given to Parliament and Crown.

Snoozeville :)