What's new

Happy Hour (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well I know nobody watched this weeks episode because it was on against Survivor and The Office. But it was pretty funny. I am really liking the old roommate and his girlfriend. Pretty funny stuff.

I also love the title graphics and music. The whole 50's vibe.

Too bad they put this with the Till Death train wreck against 2 popular shows.

I doubt it will last more than a couple more weeks.
:frowning:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
We have a winner!

FOX has replaced next week's (new) episode with a REPEAT of 'Til Death. That's not a good sign.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked this week's Till Death more than Happy Hour, which seemed a little too forced, and Henry's old girlfriend isn't up to snuff in the acting department to be part of the regular cast. I dislike Brad and the ball and chain.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, as much as I like this show, if it gets cancelled, it will make my Thursdays easier. I will just ditch Til death and watch NBC. This will allow me to record Survivor. I had to abandon Survivor due to lack of recording ability. I can only record one show when watching another.

The way this show has been treated, I can't say I am surprised. I wonder what show will replace it? If they have already filmed more episodes, I don't get why they wouldn't show them all before they start showing re-runs of Till Death?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I'm not surprised that FOX chose repeats of 'Til Death to replace Happy Hour, although I thought they would have been better off replacing it with one of their Sunday night cartoons.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Geez -- they gave Free Ride more time than that (another quirky/funny Fox comedy with a great cast that was given the hook real quick).

Let me tell you, I watch a lot of TV and I read about entertainment news and such, but I had never, ever heard of this show. This thread is the only reason I checked it out. I haven't gotten to the third (and apparently last) ep, but I really liked the first two.

Tough luck for me, mitigated only by the fact that I have too much on my plate as it is.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, FOX does say the show will be returning Nov. 2nd.

Don't know why they are showing a rerun of another show this week unless Happy Hour is on its way out. But, officially anyway, the show is not cancelled. All FOX shows are going away until November anyway. It is just weird they are replacing it this week.

It might be that since they invested so much on the Till Death show, they are trying everything to get it better ratings. (Like putting on a rerun)

Hanson, I agree that this show was completely hid from the public until it came on. I still can't figure out how they would put on a new show, but never even advertise it. Either they know it is just a filler, or there was some beef somewhere that caused bad blood.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That's a tough time-slot for a new show. I'm not surprised they are trying to hold on to Til Death. I'm sure they are counting on Brad Garrett's popularity to hold this show on the air, not to mention the financial commitment they may have made to him and the show.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm not buying that because this week's airing of Happy Hour was the last one scheduled until Nov. 2 (due to MLB playoffs). if it does come back Nov. 2, then it is (essentially) a 1 week hiatus because it was not going to air at all in October (just like all of FOX's shows). It seems odd to pull it for just 1 week.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
You may be right, Scott. If the playoffs and World Series fizzle this year (as they sometimes do depending on the participants), FOX could be seriously behind the eight-ball going into November sweeps.

Throughout the month of October, FOX basically gives the other networks a free ride to entice non-baseball fans to sample their competing Fall shows. It is a bit of a crap-shoot, but, on average over the years, it has worked out well enough for FOX.

But... if baseball tanks and competing network programming gains traction during the interim, FOX will have a monumental task before them.

I think to satisfy their affiliates, FOX will do whatever it takes from a programming standpoint to bring eyes back to the network. I'd be very surprised if a woefully under-performing (from a ratings standpoint) program like Happy Hour will be a part of that plan.

My guess is that Happy Hour will return, but not before mid-December, when FOX will quietly run off the remaining inventory of filmed episodes.

The good news for FOX in all this?

They get to charge top-dollar for advertising throughout the entire month of October when they normally could not. And, no matter how BAD their baseball ratings may get, FOX's fortunes (and the entire network landscape) will change dramatically come January with the return of the American Idol juggernaut.

Crazy like a fox, eh?

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
How can any new show survive if FOX doesn't even give them a fighthing chance?

I enjoyed the 3rd episode just as much as the 2nd episode and I can tell that the cast are finally starting to gel with each other.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

They usually don't. Fox has had a bad track record.

Firefly
Family Guy
Futurama
Wonderfalls
Some would put Arrested Developement in this group.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I would add Kitchen Confidential and Greg the Bunny to that list! I don't think I bothered watching Futurama when it was on FOX, because of the constant football preemptions.

Even worse, they keep giving lame shows one chance after another, like The War at Home and Stacked.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This show is actually on tonight. :)

I guess it still has some life left in it.

I hope it is able to survive. I like it. Much more than the Til Death one. I hope that since FOX is so invested in Til Death, they will keep Happy Hour after it to fill in the gap. Maybe they don't have a 30 minute show waiting on the bench.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Peter: "Everybody, I've got bad news. We've been replaced."
Lois: "Oh no! Peter, how could they do that?"
Peter: "Well, unfortunately, Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We just got to accept the fact that Fox has to make room for terrific shows like Dark Angel, Titus, Undeclared, Action, That 80's Show, Wonderfalls, Fastlane, Andy Richter Controls The Universe, Skin, Girls Club, Cracking Up, The Pits, Firefly, Get Real, Freaky Links, Wanda At Large, Costello, The Lone Gunmen, A Minute With Bert Hooper, Normal Ohio, Pasadena, Harsh Realm, Keen Eddy, The Street, American Embassy, Cedric The Entertainer, The Tick, Louis, and Greg The Bunny."
Lois: "Is there no hope?"
Peter: "Well, I suppose if all those shows go down the tubes, we might have a shot."

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It won't be trying anymore - Thursday's episode was the last one. FOX has pulled Happy Hour (and the Rich List) off the schedule. HH is being replaced by repeats of Til Death.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks